Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The High Fells: Location, Relevance, etc.

Frostbitten
The Shire

May 7 2013, 9:42pm

Post #1 of 15 (894 views)
Shortcut
The High Fells: Location, Relevance, etc. Can't Post

Now this thread concerns mostly the film, and partly the books, but I am curious to know how much information PJ and the Weta team actually gave about the precise location of the High Fells, the Prison of the Dead, and their relative location in accordance with the Cold Fells, which I deduce has at least some relevance to areas on the Middle-earth map.
I've read the Hobbit: Chronicles, and it's obvious the High Fells is a Weta concept and not Tolkien, although it is Tolkienesque in both name and description. If we can (sort of) morph the two into a pretty good idea of what's real and what's not, I would much appreciate it.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement."

DwellerInDale
Rohan

May 8 2013, 3:02am

Post #2 of 15 (397 views)
Shortcut
We had a long discussion... [In reply to] Can't Post

... a little while back, here. I believe I was the first to propose the Cold Fells as the most probable location for the High Fells.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

May 8 2013, 6:33am

Post #3 of 15 (378 views)
Shortcut
Indeed... [In reply to] Can't Post

The video produced by the Land of Shadow website pretty much sums up all we know about the "High Fells", including what is Tolkien and what is Jackson:

http://www.thelandofshadow.com/...fells-of-of-rhudaur/

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

lurtz2010
Rohan

May 8 2013, 7:34am

Post #4 of 15 (459 views)
Shortcut
are the cold fells mentioned in lotr? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never heard of them.

Arannir
Valinor

May 8 2013, 7:51am

Post #5 of 15 (346 views)
Shortcut
Under "C" [In reply to] Can't Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/...aces_in_Middle-earth

A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of mens imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold. J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

May 8 2013, 8:25am

Post #6 of 15 (330 views)
Shortcut
Fascinating. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's an addictive video. I am excited by the addition of the High Fells. I wish there
was some more history incorporated about its existence.

Just for the sake of entertainment, who do you think might have built these tombs? northern
men perhaps? apparently, it took a desperate northern war to
stem the onslaught descending out of Angmar. Would the tombs' location be widely known or even their
very existence? Or perhaps it was just best to let the tombs and their terrible contents fade into distant memory.
How did Gandalf come by this information? perhaps best to leave it to our imagination?

I suppose radagast's cursory investigation of Dol Goldur and the sword he retrieved aroused the suspicions about the
the high fells? I wonder if it was done before or after the white council. If after, I wonder
if the council knew of Gandalf's mission to the northern tombs. He apparently meets radagast there so the two must
have independently reached the same conclusions about Dol Goldur stirrings. wow that's creepy stuff and i quite like
the appearance of the fells from outside and inside...what an interesting concept. gandy and raddy have some
fortitude to wander up to that place Crazy

that is really spooky and i likey. i can only imagine gandalf's reaction as he sees the open crates...this is a very very very troubling discoveryFrown!

(This post was edited by Dwarvenfury on May 8 2013, 8:26am)

Arannir
Valinor

May 8 2013, 8:41am

Post #7 of 15 (315 views)
Shortcut
The White Council would know, I guess. [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially those members who did participate in the war against Angmar.

I actually really like the idea to bring Rhudaur into play here... though I hope they will tie the whole Nazgul story together in a way that is acceptable, despite of course rewriting ME history to a pretty big part, and benefit the story enough (I think for me this will work if we get the Witch-King prophecy and some more "historically correct" references).

A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of mens imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold. J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

(This post was edited by Arannir on May 8 2013, 8:42am)

NoelGallagher
Rohan

May 8 2013, 12:53pm

Post #8 of 15 (285 views)
Shortcut
Location in NewZealand ?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Does anyone where it has been shot ?!
I watched all Blogs concerning locations...didnt found it anywhere.

Frostbitten
The Shire

May 8 2013, 2:15pm

Post #9 of 15 (258 views)
Shortcut
Thanks so much! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks a lot, Eleniel, and all you guys. I watched the video yesterday. This certainly helped. I think we've cleared up the fact that until Desolation of Smaug comes out, we won't get much more than this.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement."

Frostbitten
The Shire

May 8 2013, 3:36pm

Post #10 of 15 (256 views)
Shortcut
Shhhh [In reply to] Can't Post

I sincerely doubt Weta is going to be releasing to the public their various shoot locations. Many of the places are remote and/or dangerous, and the last thing the NZ tours needs is a bunch of American fanboys trying to scale every cliff in Miramar and falling to their gruesome deaths.

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 8 2013, 5:22pm

Post #11 of 15 (245 views)
Shortcut
Ian Brodie, Chief Location Scout is working on the Book Now! [In reply to] Can't Post

Many of us here have his Location Guide Book to the Lord of the Rings...
It even has GPS Coordinates to Locations of Every scene!
His book for the Hobbit will be released sometime.

With GoogleEarth Goldberry&Bomby
used to fly down to these sites...

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

May 9 2013, 7:17am

Post #12 of 15 (199 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just watched the white council and i guess Galadriel just answered all the questions...
The men of the North buried the witchking with his sword in deep tombs and cast
spells upon the entrances to forever contain the vestiges of so dreadful a scourge.

But if the sword that radagast retrieved from Dol Goldur, as identified by Galadriel, is the
sword of the Witch King of Angmar buried with him, that would be sufficient evidence
that there has been a massive breakout. There, they have all the evidence they need, no need
for Gandalf to wander up to the high fells after all lol. geee, couldn't they just have galadriel
identify it as some dark, evil sword from ancient times and just leave it at that instead of identifying
it as the witchking's sword, undeniably acknowledging that something has escaped its cell?
the sword is conclusive proof, why is the WC so baffled Crazy Even i can connect the dots
without going to the high fells! Then again, does the witchking have more than one blade?
I think galadriel says made for the witchking which implies that he can have more than one blade.
so i guess there is still a mystery as to its direct link.

the high fells, imo has a cool look and concept. it will be interesting to see how they integrate it into the DoS
storylines. i hope more footage is in the trailer Sly

(This post was edited by Dwarvenfury on May 9 2013, 7:25am)

painjoiker
Grey Havens

May 9 2013, 10:07am

Post #13 of 15 (176 views)
Shortcut
Inside the studio ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I am positive that the High Fells, at least the part from the sneak peek are shot on a set in the studio Smile

Vocalist in the progressive metal band Renamed.

NoelGallagher
Rohan

May 9 2013, 11:54am

Post #14 of 15 (172 views)
Shortcut
Obviously [In reply to] Can't Post

we will get shoots from the outside as well. And im sure it will look magnificent ! Gandalf walking/climbing down those steep Fells to get to the entrance...brilliant !

Na Vedui
Rohan

May 9 2013, 10:00pm

Post #15 of 15 (239 views)
Shortcut
The tombs of the Nazgul are in.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... Coventry, England.Wink

I kid you not! In a journal I received this morning, which reports on various archaeology-related news items, there was the following:

"A rather extravagant *nine* previously unknown crypts have been found underneath Coventry's medieval Cathedral remains... It is thought they may have been burial vaults for noble families."

Spooky, or what? Shocked

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.