Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Why would he?

dreamflower
Lorien

May 13 2013, 1:42pm

Views: 115
Shortcut
Why would he? [In reply to] Can't Post

He never made it clear that both Merry and Pippin were cousins to each other in LotR, or even that *both* of them were Frodo's cousins (Pippin gets in a brief mention of the fact that he's related in the Prancing Pony scene.)*

PJ really doesn't seem to care much about these sorts of relationships. As for the relationship of Fili and Kili to Thorin, it's never mentioned much in canon--I think only the reference is at the end, after the Bo5A.

Story-internal, perhaps it's that Dwarves don't use those sorts of terms, or that whatever the word is in Khuzdul for the relationship doesn't "translate" to Common Speech or perhaps Dwarves seem to be a very private sort of people, so the relationship may be something they never refer to in front of "outsiders". Pick one of those explanations or think up your own.

*This is a very sore point for me. The gutting of their backstory and the Conspiracy meant that *some* sort of motivation for their "just happening" to tag along on the Quest with Frodo was needed. At least if he'd indicated they were family it would have made more sense.

Subject User Time
Why do Fili and Kili Never Say "Uncle?" The Grey Elf Send a private message to The Grey Elf May 7 2013, 2:25pm
    Fili and Kili's relationship to Thorin (SPOILERS) Aragalen the Green Send a private message to Aragalen the Green May 7 2013, 2:44pm
        It never was mentioned in the film Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 May 7 2013, 2:51pm
            I would expect Laketown...(spoiler?) Kaede Send a private message to Kaede May 7 2013, 3:03pm
                Esgaroth. And itīs important Marionette Send a private message to Marionette May 7 2013, 3:51pm
                Do you mind me asking, Kaede, ShireHorse Send a private message to ShireHorse May 7 2013, 6:45pm
                    Thorin, Fili and Kili sam90 Send a private message to sam90 May 7 2013, 8:42pm
                        Not likely Kaede Send a private message to Kaede May 7 2013, 9:52pm
                    Gathering of the Clouds, ch 15... Kaede Send a private message to Kaede May 7 2013, 9:49pm
                        I agree Kaede marillaraina Send a private message to marillaraina May 7 2013, 10:11pm
                            Very true--spot on Kaede Send a private message to Kaede May 7 2013, 10:57pm
                            Dain... Angharad73 Send a private message to Angharad73 May 8 2013, 6:12am
                        I follow your argument, Kaede, until you get to the bit ShireHorse Send a private message to ShireHorse May 7 2013, 10:23pm
                            Fair points! Kaede Send a private message to Kaede May 7 2013, 10:41pm
                            subject marillaraina Send a private message to marillaraina May 7 2013, 10:53pm
                                LOL, marillaraina! ShireHorse Send a private message to ShireHorse May 8 2013, 12:50pm
                                    'Long will I tarry....' dormouse Send a private message to dormouse May 8 2013, 1:37pm
                                        Well, I'm a fair person, dormouse, ShireHorse Send a private message to ShireHorse May 8 2013, 2:24pm
                                            Er, well..... The King doesn't withdraw back to the forest.... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse May 8 2013, 3:49pm
                                                I could reply to every point you've raised, dormouse, ShireHorse Send a private message to ShireHorse May 8 2013, 4:22pm
                                                    It is.... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse May 8 2013, 6:05pm
                                                        Yes--you nailed it imho... Kaede Send a private message to Kaede May 8 2013, 6:28pm
                                                            I'm absolutely positive that Thorin ShireHorse Send a private message to ShireHorse May 8 2013, 6:46pm
                                    Troops in their strategic positions... Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn May 9 2013, 9:35am
                                        Fili/Kili Yngwulff Send a private message to Yngwulff May 12 2013, 5:52am
                            It's interesting you say that. Dwarvenfury Send a private message to Dwarvenfury May 8 2013, 6:54am
        It's mentioned a bit earlier than that... Angharad73 Send a private message to Angharad73 May 7 2013, 2:52pm
            Yes, you are correct! Aragalen the Green Send a private message to Aragalen the Green May 7 2013, 3:05pm
            It's interesting Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua May 7 2013, 11:09pm
        laketown Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala May 7 2013, 6:27pm
            True! Aragalen the Green Send a private message to Aragalen the Green May 7 2013, 8:38pm
    Not canon? Not dwarf culture? Kaede Send a private message to Kaede May 7 2013, 2:50pm
    The Old Guard may die, but it never surrenders. // sador Send a private message to sador May 7 2013, 3:19pm
        *snicker* Angharad73 Send a private message to Angharad73 May 7 2013, 3:26pm
    Wondered about this since I saw the film Marionette Send a private message to Marionette May 7 2013, 3:46pm
    It would be unseemly. Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone May 7 2013, 4:45pm
        insightful. Dwarvenfury Send a private message to Dwarvenfury May 8 2013, 6:56am
    What everyone else said hit the mark, I think MaeBeth Send a private message to MaeBeth May 7 2013, 5:40pm
        Completely agree Mr. Arkenstone (isaac) Send a private message to Mr. Arkenstone (isaac) May 7 2013, 9:23pm
    Do you always say uncle when talking to your uncle Welsh hero Send a private message to Welsh hero May 8 2013, 7:50am
    Why would he? dreamflower Send a private message to dreamflower May 13 2013, 1:42pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.