Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Warner Bros Aust interview with Richard Armitage

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 7 2013, 1:30pm

Post #1 of 11 (774 views)
Shortcut
Warner Bros Aust interview with Richard Armitage Can't Post

WB Australia asked fans to submit questions to put to RA during his stay here, they've finally posted them to their site here

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

May 7 2013, 2:02pm

Post #2 of 11 (349 views)
Shortcut
A HA! Here's the bit about his bloody lip. [In reply to] Can't Post

...one of the most difficult scenes was in the prologue when Thorin is fighting at the battle of Azanulbizar, try spelling that one. We had a stunt double and a scale double fighting in the same fight, I had to fight seven orcs at the same time and I hit myself in the face with the shield and put my tooth through my lip but there was not time to stop so we had to keep going and so I did it with a bloody, bleeding lip and that was pretty difficult.

Also exciting to hear that his next project might be based on a work of literature and less high tech. He has said in other interviews that he has been reading novels. I wonder which one?

Thanks for posting the interview, Kel!

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 7 2013, 3:05pm

Post #3 of 11 (302 views)
Shortcut
Very Complete...Best Possible Questions & [In reply to] Can't Post

WayCool answers...
We should all be
proud Pete
Picked him!

Bomby

malickfan
Gondor

May 7 2013, 3:38pm

Post #4 of 11 (310 views)
Shortcut
Nice interview, he always seems like such a genuine bloke...but I'm not overly fond of him as Thorin(!) [In reply to] Can't Post

Whilst I won't deny he is a talented actor, I found the whole young prince born into suffering thing a bit cliched (I always liked the fact Thorin was an elderly, well older at least, warrior in the book, and personally I would have found his character traits much more believable in an older actor-GDT certainly had no qualms about an older leading man), visually it was more like seeing Aragorn's cousin running around than a noble Dwarven lord, and to me he came across as trying a little too hard in the earlier scenes.

I won't deny he was a more forceful prescence than in the book (Though I really don't get where tha Hate for book Thorin comes from-sure he's a little grumpy but hey He's an elderly king landed with a fat Hobbit-I personally found him quite likeable, and always treat The Thorin of The Hobbit (written for kids) as differnt to the Thorin of the Appendices/UFT (which to me remain notes to LOTR, not The Hobbit) but at the same time I wish PJ had cast someone someone a bit less conventional in the role (Ironically Billy Connoly as Dain, and Armitage as Thorin are cast the wrong way round to what I imagine when I read the book...)

‘As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ‘All is now ready.’

Perhaps the most fascinating Individual in Middle Earth

Old Toby
Gondor

May 7 2013, 3:38pm

Post #5 of 11 (286 views)
Shortcut
As always, thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love reading all the interviews with him. He's a great interviewee (is that a real word?). Smile

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

The Grey Elf
Gondor

May 7 2013, 7:38pm

Post #6 of 11 (240 views)
Shortcut
OT: could someone explain what being a bloke means exactly? [In reply to] Can't Post

Other than describing someone of the male persuasion. It's been used more than once in reference to RA in a way that seems to suggest more meaning than just him being a guy.

ShireHorse
Rohan

May 7 2013, 8:28pm

Post #7 of 11 (242 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, the associations of "bloke" are quite subtle I think, Grey Elf. [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's the Urban Dictionary definition:

"Bloke is simply a British slang term for 'man/guy', with perhaps slight connotations of masculinity, and used only in an informal setting. Unlike 'guy' it is not normally used vocatively, as in 'hey you blokes'."

I would agree that there is an implication of masculinity, someone who is interested in sport and one you could have a good natter with down the pub. I also get connotations of likeability and decency and you often hear people use the expression, "He's a good bloke!"

If it is used in association with RA, I would say that people are implying that he appears to be nice, decent and ordinary; not some stand-offish star but someone we'd all like to meet and who would be easy to get along with.

The Grey Elf
Gondor

May 7 2013, 8:55pm

Post #8 of 11 (213 views)
Shortcut
Thanks so much for the explanation, Shirehorse [In reply to] Can't Post

I always knew the term was British and Aussie slang. A comment from Philippa Boyens is the first time I read of Richard being referred to as a "bloke." It seemed to be a compliment. And it is if its meaning is consistent with your definition and other descriptions I've read of RA as a person. Always a pleasure to hear that about someone you admire who has plenty of reasons to be egotistical. Smile

Glorfindela
Valinor

May 7 2013, 9:38pm

Post #9 of 11 (264 views)
Shortcut
Nice thing I've noticed about Richard Armitage [In reply to] Can't Post

…is that he doesn't engage in the type of antics that many 'celebrities' get up to – including swearing – and that he is modest and always praises other people involved with the films, rather than going on about how wonderful he is, etc, etc.

I must leave these boards – spending far too much time on them. That's the trouble with working freelance on one's computer…

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on May 7 2013, 9:39pm)

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

May 7 2013, 10:59pm

Post #10 of 11 (202 views)
Shortcut
Second Everything [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
…is that he doesn't engage in the type of antics that many 'celebrities' get up to – including swearing – and that he is modest and always praises other people involved with the films, rather than going on about how wonderful he is, etc, etc.

I must leave these boards – spending far too much time on them. That's the trouble with working freelance on one's computer…

you said. I love how self-effacing RA is in his interviews. He tells the same stories over and over again but never sounds as if he is bored. Is that swearing comment a reference to MF who can't seem to get through an interview without using the f-word?

Being on this board is the favorite part of my day.

Súlimë
Rivendell

May 8 2013, 6:55am

Post #11 of 11 (176 views)
Shortcut
RA gives great interviews [In reply to] Can't Post

always very modest, very honest, very insightful

Heart

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.