Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
From the DOS preview: concerns about Tauriel-Share them here!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Kaede
Rivendell

May 7 2013, 12:55pm

Post #26 of 34 (152 views)
Shortcut
Hear, hear... [In reply to] Can't Post

Brilliantly said.

Pre-Hating? based on little evidence
is another.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

May 7 2013, 12:59pm

Post #27 of 34 (176 views)
Shortcut
After all, the Elves of the Hobbit are never rash [In reply to] Can't Post

They never do anything like tantalize starving strangers in their woods, and then imprison them unjustly, or lust after gold that is not rightfully theirs, or get drunk on their king's wine and let the prisoners escape.

It is really only in LOTR that the Elves are the perfect beings that people seem to imagine.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

imin
Valinor

May 7 2013, 1:22pm

Post #28 of 34 (153 views)
Shortcut
I was more concerned about Tauriel before AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing to do with her gender, just she is a made up character in a film which already has loads of characters, i don't really feel that was needed but if done well, then it doesn't matter.

However since AUJ i don't really mind what they do - i know they won't have her do something wildly out of line with what Tolkien wrote or what they have shown elves to be like in the previous films and i doubt her inclusion will reduce the film by much if any so what's the harm? - This is going off my feeling that DOS will be quite a bit better than AUJ.

Can't say im excited to see her as i think some of the screen time devoted to her could have been better spent on other characters but i am interested to see if they get it right and how they will fit in to the story. hopefully it will all work out OK!

And Iluvatar spoke to Ulmo, and said: 'Seest thou not how here in this little realm in the Deeps of Time Melkor hath made war upon thy province? He hath bethought him of bitter cold immoderate, and yet hath not destroyed the beauty of thy fountains, nor of my clear pools. Behold the snow, and the cunning work of frost! Melkor hath devised heats and fire without restraint, and hath not dried up thy desire nor utterly quelled the music of the sea. Behold rather the height and glory of the clouds, and the everchanging mists; and listen to the fall of rain upon the Earth! And in these clouds thou art drawn nearer to Manwe, thy friend, whom thou lovest.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

May 7 2013, 4:46pm

Post #29 of 34 (128 views)
Shortcut
Well, you have a good point, but you entirely missed my meaning [In reply to] Can't Post

What I am saying is that it does not seem in equilibrium with the Elves of the THIRD AGE, *At least as portrayed by Peter Jackson*.

Therefore the characters you list, having no place in the story of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, are rather irrelevant to the point I was trying to make.

"True courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one."

Elwen
Lorien

May 7 2013, 5:52pm

Post #30 of 34 (118 views)
Shortcut
You know what I hope? [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope the Tauriel hype is much ado about nothing. I alternate between excited about a female warrior elf and scared as all get-out by another PJ tinkering.

I'm not going to stress over it. I remember before FOTR, I hated the replacement of Glorfindel with Arwen.(Truth be told, I still do.)

I remember people, myself included being especially worried about that picture we kept seeing of Liv Tyler with a scratch on her face. It was analyzed again and again..."Does she get that fighting the ringwraiths? That's just unthinkable! etc." As it ended up, she got scratched by a tree branch. Moral of the story: I'm not going to read too much into early released pieces that might be out of context this time.

Before kids, exercising with LOTR meant listening to the soundtrack while I ran.

After kids, exercising with LOTR means having an all out dance party with the little ones to the "Break the Dam Release the River" disco mix form the Lego game.

Ardamírë
Valinor

May 7 2013, 7:45pm

Post #31 of 34 (100 views)
Shortcut
Different sides [In reply to] Can't Post

I for one, am very much looking forward to seeing the "other" side of the Elves. And since we'll be seeing a lot more of the Elves this time than we did in LOTR, I hope we'll get more than just the stoic side of them.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall. As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last. For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive." -Arwen

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

May 8 2013, 1:36am

Post #32 of 34 (74 views)
Shortcut
Pre-hating is going a bit too far [In reply to] Can't Post

These books are near and dear to some of us, and I can understand if people are a little concerned over these add-in characters. Anyway, the OP isn't hating, just venting, which is okay to do, better to let it out than keep it in and let it grow until it gets worse. By the time the film comes out, most of us will have vented our feelings and see the film regardless. Not pre-hating, venting.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

May 8 2013, 2:00am

Post #33 of 34 (80 views)
Shortcut
hmm, yeah, maybe it is just that the Sindarin/Sylvan elves are portrayed as so; much more rash than their cousins [In reply to] Can't Post

the words felt terribly wrong coming from the mouth of an Elf, who should not be coming out with rash remarks like that. Now obviously the Wood-Elves of Mirkwood are less wise than their Rivendell or Lothlorien kin, but they should not be acting like that unless it is a trait of theirs to have serious anger issues (possibly plausible, given how Thranduil is clearly seen losing it with Thorin and reveling in his authority)

Whether that Sylvan character is truly correct going by Tolkien canon however is a different matter!

"So your own praise will forever keep your name green,
Both here on Earth and on the stage of the stars" - J.G.Kittel, writing about the composer Jan Dismas Zelenka (1740)

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

(This post was edited by Xanaseb on May 8 2013, 2:01am)

Magpie
Immortal

May 8 2013, 2:38am

Post #34 of 34 (87 views)
Shortcut
The books are near and dear to all us. [In reply to] Can't Post

The choice of how we deal with worries and concerns and what we accept or not isn't a factor of how much someone loves the books.

Choices about what we worry about and how long we worry about it and how often we poke that wound we have or perceive we might have... those are life choices... attitude choices.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.