Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
thranduil and thorin confession?

boldog
Rohan

May 6 2013, 9:59am

Post #1 of 4 (822 views)
Shortcut
thranduil and thorin confession? Can't Post

Smilei was just wondering what you all think about thorin and thranduils relationship?
I believe we will see some kind of confession and acceptance between the two, either before, or during the bo5a or at thorins death bed. I believe it will be touching to see two enemies become friendsEvil

"fingolfin looked up in grief to see what evil morgoth had done to maedhros"

Angharad73
Rohan

May 6 2013, 10:22am

Post #2 of 4 (480 views)
Shortcut
Friends? *spoiler* [In reply to] Can't Post

No, not really. I don't see the two becoming friends as, for example Legolas and Gimli did in LOTR, even if they had enough time.

Some sort of understanding each other and maybe forgiveness? Yes, I could see that. They might make their peace with each other in the end.

But this cannot happen before Bo5A, so I suppose it would have to be after the battle. However, there is a question of time there as well. I mean, how many deathbed interviews is Thorin going to have? He *has* to talk to Bilbo, that is far more important to see in the movie than any talk with Thranduil.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind if Thorin and Thranduil do not see each other after the battle and do not make whatever peace between them in person. I like that in the book, when they buried Thorin under the mountain, Thranduil laid Orcrist on his tomb. I always understood that as a symbol of him honouring Thorin and making his peace with him in a way. That would actually be my preferred option. Simply follow the book...

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

May 6 2013, 1:34pm

Post #3 of 4 (346 views)
Shortcut
Me, too [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
No, not really. I don't see the two becoming friends as, for example Legolas and Gimli did in LOTR, even if they had enough time.

Some sort of understanding each other and maybe forgiveness? Yes, I could see that. They might make their peace with each other in the end.

But this cannot happen before Bo5A, so I suppose it would have to be after the battle. However, there is a question of time there as well. I mean, how many deathbed interviews is Thorin going to have? He *has* to talk to Bilbo, that is far more important to see in the movie than any talk with Thranduil.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind if Thorin and Thranduil do not see each other after the battle and do not make whatever peace between them in person. I like that in the book, when they buried Thorin under the mountain, Thranduil laid Orcrist on his tomb. I always understood that as a symbol of him honouring Thorin and making his peace with him in a way. That would actually be my preferred option. Simply follow the book...

This is one of my favorite parts of the book. It is to be hoped that the PJ and Co. don't make any changes here.

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 8 2013, 1:03am

Post #4 of 4 (94 views)
Shortcut
Agreed...Show, Don't Tell [In reply to] Can't Post

Is always More Powerful...
with some of Howard's Choral Music..

"Turning ALL of us into Jelly"

TB&G together again...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.