Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What Chronicles II says about it...

Kaede
Rivendell

May 6 2013, 2:25pm

Views: 192
Shortcut
What Chronicles II says about it... [In reply to] Can't Post

If you haven't seen it yet, the Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, Chronicles II volume is fabulous. I'll quote a couple of comments (and there are thousands there) that might inform our discussion. Point is, there's a lot of work by everyone on a film project this size about creating audience perception/reactions to the characters--it's quite complex and not left to chance--I think it's part natural, part casting, part design, part performance...so everyone's right!

Hope you enjoy (and check out the book--it's loaded with fascinating design detail...) Full credit to the author, Daniel Falconer...

Peter King, make up and hair designer, The Hobbit Chronicles II, p 60
“Consequently, we put a lot of thought into Thorin, and his arrival in the movie is built up by the other Dwarves as they await his appearance at Bag End. There is an awe and reverence that surrounds him. He is very strong and slightly scary, but also hypnotic and charismatic. Thorin is the leader, a king among his people and the Dwarf upon whose shoulders and future the hopes of his people rests. We went through a number of iterations before we settled on his final make-up, which consisted of a thin forehead and nose, wig, and ears.
“Thorin’s nose was Romanesque, which imparted a sense of nobility. His wig was also entirely composed of human hair, without any yak, which we used to add body to some of the other Dwarves. That allowed it to flow and move more romantically. For the same reason, Thorin’s beard ended up clipped quite close, to preserve his more refined appearance and not hide the actor under a full face of hair. It was important that people understand and relate to Thorin, so we didn’t want to build a wall of hair in front of him that would impede that in any way.”

Peter King, p. 70
“Fili and Kili both began with forehead prosthetics, but these were cut back because they aged the characters too much. It was important that these young Dwarves remain open-faced and easy to relate to, particularly for younger audience members. Their larger noses also became reduced with each make-up test pass, again because the larger noses they began with made them look too old or slightly grotesque.
“Such character-filled faces are something we can accept in the older Dwarves because as we age our noses and ears do get larger and as a species we are used to seeing this. Fili and Kili had to be young and handsome, leaving it up to the actors to bring character through their performances.”

James Nesbitt (Bofur), p. 81
“We went through many different looks in terms of prosthetics. When the first round of prosthetics were tested, everyone agreed that the look was too harsh. Through rehersal at that stage we had decided that Bofur was an optimistic, friendly character that an audience could side with. The character didn’t come across that way with the first prosthetic design, but we went through a refining process and eventually found a look with more of me coming through. Bofur had my voice, but it was important to also see more of my face than the first prosthetic permitted because the filmmakers had cast people in response to how they felt about us. If that’s been covered then we’ve been lost.”

Subject User Time
Sssooo, why is Kili the hot one? MaeBeth Send a private message to MaeBeth May 3 2013, 7:20pm
    You're doing it just fine, and welcome! dormouse Send a private message to dormouse May 3 2013, 7:30pm
    Fewer prosthetics? Kaede Send a private message to Kaede May 3 2013, 7:44pm
        Thank you MaeBeth Send a private message to MaeBeth May 3 2013, 8:21pm
    Welcome! Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone May 3 2013, 8:47pm
    ***SPOILER*** Nira Send a private message to Nira May 3 2013, 9:10pm
        Kili screentime MomoftheShire Send a private message to MomoftheShire May 3 2013, 9:39pm
        I would be... Macfeast Send a private message to Macfeast May 3 2013, 9:55pm
            uh... Nira Send a private message to Nira May 3 2013, 11:36pm
                If I misunderstood you, then I apologize. // Macfeast Send a private message to Macfeast May 3 2013, 11:52pm
    As far as I'm concerned, there's only one hot Dwarf Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela May 3 2013, 10:11pm
        Agreed! Kimtc Send a private message to Kimtc May 3 2013, 11:51pm
            I agree Kimtc. And though it is a matter of individual taste... Brethil Send a private message to Brethil May 4 2013, 1:52am
            I don't think so... marillaraina Send a private message to marillaraina May 4 2013, 2:20am
                He's on another film shoot Kaede Send a private message to Kaede May 4 2013, 2:27am
                    The Mortal Instruments marillaraina Send a private message to marillaraina May 4 2013, 3:01am
                        Thumbs up in favor of R&R, tho Kaede Send a private message to Kaede May 4 2013, 3:02pm
        I hate to say he does nothing for me... Magpie Send a private message to Magpie May 4 2013, 12:18am
    Probably a combination of everything. Kili Send a private message to Kili May 3 2013, 10:55pm
    Aidan: It's just my face! Kaede Send a private message to Kaede May 3 2013, 11:01pm
    I will confess that Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve May 4 2013, 1:54am
    Kili marillaraina Send a private message to marillaraina May 4 2013, 2:11am
    Welcome! elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 May 4 2013, 6:41am
    Oh, yay! A Hot Dwarves thread. :-) Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn May 4 2013, 10:11am
        You're right Roheryn DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB May 4 2013, 1:23pm
            Dwarf ladies! Lio Send a private message to Lio May 4 2013, 8:46pm
                Plenty of apparently beardless Dwarf women - but none I would call hot...// The Grey Wanderer Send a private message to The Grey Wanderer May 4 2013, 10:12pm
        On Hot Dwarves glor Send a private message to glor May 4 2013, 3:18pm
            Honestly...Jus' What does a "Hotness Scale" look like? Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil May 4 2013, 3:52pm
                LOL. Goldberry? Kaede Send a private message to Kaede May 4 2013, 4:18pm
                Dunno about a Hotness scale but.... glor Send a private message to glor May 4 2013, 8:33pm
                    ... still giggling Ceridwen Send a private message to Ceridwen May 4 2013, 10:51pm
                        Thorin IdrilofGondolin Send a private message to IdrilofGondolin May 4 2013, 11:56pm
                            I don't know .... The Grey Elf Send a private message to The Grey Elf May 5 2013, 3:20pm
                                Was about to say. SPOILERS! Macfeast Send a private message to Macfeast May 5 2013, 4:15pm
                                    Agree with you 100% Macfeast! and yeah, Spoilers! Old Toby Send a private message to Old Toby May 5 2013, 4:49pm
                                        And just to clarify. Macfeast Send a private message to Macfeast May 5 2013, 5:27pm
                                            Hear, Hear!! Or should I say, Hair, Hair! ;-) // The Grey Elf Send a private message to The Grey Elf May 5 2013, 6:39pm
                        LOL marillaraina Send a private message to marillaraina May 5 2013, 12:29am
                            I would join that research project Marillaraina! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil May 5 2013, 1:00am
                            well - Ceridwen Send a private message to Ceridwen May 5 2013, 1:35am
    Eye of the beholder, and all that... Angharad73 Send a private message to Angharad73 May 4 2013, 11:12am
    I guess we have dwarves for all tastes :) Marionette Send a private message to Marionette May 4 2013, 9:14pm
    Welcome ... and don't forget Bifur. Ceridwen Send a private message to Ceridwen May 4 2013, 10:46pm
        Hey, I like Bifur :) Aragalen the Green Send a private message to Aragalen the Green May 5 2013, 2:15am
    Fili Kaede Send a private message to Kaede May 5 2013, 4:05am
        Re: Fili sueb1863 Send a private message to sueb1863 May 5 2013, 3:10pm
    The 1st time I saw AUJ I was shocked that the dwarfs all looked different, Dis15 Send a private message to Dis15 May 5 2013, 7:38pm
    Welcome Maebeth Ziggy Stardust Send a private message to Ziggy Stardust May 6 2013, 1:10am
    What Chronicles II says about it... Kaede Send a private message to Kaede May 6 2013, 2:25pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.