Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Is Martin Freeman more enthusiastic of Sherlock series than the Hobbit? And why?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

FrogmortonJustice65
Rivendell

May 3 2013, 12:48am

Post #26 of 40 (291 views)
Shortcut
for what it's worth... [In reply to] Can't Post

MF wrote a little preface to "the visual guide to the Hobbit", where he mentions extensively what a privilege it is to play Bilbo, one of the most beloved literary figures of all time. Or something to that effect.

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

May 3 2013, 1:12am

Post #27 of 40 (275 views)
Shortcut
I can understand [In reply to] Can't Post

but you needn't worry. Freeman was promoting Sherlock at the time, and the protocol is to focus on what they are promoting. I'm sure Freeman was glad to be in The Hobbit. If he didn't, trust me, we'd know. Look at Daniel Radcliffe, after being Harry Potter, the role that made him, he's now downplaying Harry Potter to the point that he sounds completely jaded.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

May 3 2013, 1:15am

Post #28 of 40 (291 views)
Shortcut
One doesn't have to be a fan of fantasy to like Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

Mckellan loved doing the movies, and obviously wanted to come back t do more. And about Beatlemania, I agree with you. While I wasn't actually there during the time (I was born in 1989), I have studied much on the Beatles, and have a sense of what Beatlemania was. It was big, and there hasn't been anything like it. No disrespect to Freeman, he's cool in all, but he doesn't know what Beatlemania was like.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

May 3 2013, 1:26am

Post #29 of 40 (276 views)
Shortcut
No, however [In reply to] Can't Post

It's good for reference. It's kind of like how a student has to do homework for a class. Or like if a musician, such as myself, is to play a song, I have to listen to it. It's good reference, and gives me an idea of how I should play the song. The OP has a valid reason for liking the actor to like the character as much as them. It sort of makes sense when you really think about.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

May 3 2013, 3:51am

Post #30 of 40 (249 views)
Shortcut
i think you are seeing something that isn't there [In reply to] Can't Post

Martin never says his tv series is better or his character on the show is better than TH or Bilbo, he is just expressing how impressed he is on how popular his show is.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

May 3 2013, 7:06am

Post #31 of 40 (253 views)
Shortcut
Sherlock is popular in the US [In reply to] Can't Post

I also dispute the idea that Sherlock only has a fan cult in the UK. It's very popular in the US, at least within a certain sub-culture. A lot of sci-fi/fantasy fans are very drawn to the show. The show's creator, Steven Moffat, is also the current show-runner for Doctor Who and many sci-fi fans grew up with British import shows on PBS so you can see why there would be crossover audience appeal. Almost all of my fellow geek friends adore the show and Sherlock costumes show up at every comic or sci-fi convention I've been to in the last few years.

I don't think Martin Freeman is selling The Hobbit short with his comments. The Hobbit is a beloved story with a massive fan base and the movie is a follow-up to a popular and record-breaking trilogy of films. Anyone involved in it would expect the fan reaction to be huge. Sherlock, on the other hand, was a surprise success. While Sherlock Holmes has an existing fanbase, no one knew this modern update series would be as popular as it was. I'm sure that's all Freeman means.

(This post was edited by Fredeghar Wayfarer on May 3 2013, 7:07am)

Pimmiko
Bree

May 3 2013, 7:42am

Post #32 of 40 (247 views)
Shortcut
I can assure you [In reply to] Can't Post

this wasn't the only interview of Martin Freeman I have read. He is on my Google Alert list and I get almost all the news of him and this simply is the impression I have got. Of course he has promoted the Hobbit but far less than for example Richard Armitage. Who isn't working at the moment, I know, but still. There are some great recent interviews where he deeply analyses his role and shows his knowledge of Tolkien.
Other thing I noticed was how embarrassed MF was when he got the Empire Jameson Award for best actor. He thanked Empire and its readers but not a word from the Hobbit.
It's useless to argue about this and thank God he did his job so well but please Martin, don't speak of Beatlemania when you know nothing of it. That annoyed me most.

Arannir
Valinor

May 3 2013, 8:05am

Post #33 of 40 (247 views)
Shortcut
General feeling of a MINI Beatlemania [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, but this is just hyperbole over-interpretation for me and pretty unfair.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

May 3 2013, 2:20pm

Post #34 of 40 (207 views)
Shortcut
The only thing i don't like about the new Star Trek films? [In reply to] Can't Post

Chris Pine.

tolktolk
Lorien

May 3 2013, 3:04pm

Post #35 of 40 (199 views)
Shortcut
Sorry... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want to be rude, but this thread is just silly. You are coming across as a Richard Armitage fan who is trying to create some sort of spurious competition between actors.

For a start you have lifted the quotes out of context. The original interview was actually in Empire magazine after Martin Freeman won the Best Actor Award for The Hobbit and obviously he talked about the film - Radio Times, being a TV mag just lifted the quotes about Sherlock because it is the BBC's flagship show and is immensely popular.

You say that for some reason you are annoyed about the Beatlemania quotes but again, have taken them out of context. In the original interview it makes it clear he is joking when he talks of a " being in a mini-Beatlemania" - though again, to put this into context, this was at a time when Sherlock was filming in North Gower Street in London and it had become a spectator sport with the entire street mobbed by fans.

It also is not true to say Freeman has done less promotion than Armitage - doing promotion is not down to the actors' choice (if it was none of them would do boring junkets) - they basically have to do what their contracts tell them to do.
I think you are seeing what you want to see.

Old Toby
Gondor

May 3 2013, 4:41pm

Post #36 of 40 (183 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

This whole thread looks like making a mountain out of a molehill - or quote someone out of context, put your own spin on it, then make a big to-do out of it. (Isn't this how rumors get started?) Time to move on.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

ShireHorse
Rohan

May 3 2013, 10:18pm

Post #37 of 40 (169 views)
Shortcut
Good example tonight [In reply to] Can't Post

of the international popularity of Sherlock. Benedict Cumberbatch is on the Graham Norton Show where he is promoting Star Trek. His and Freeman's fanbase suddenly exploded after Sherlock and GN went into the audience to see if people had travelled far to see BC and Chris Pine on his show. The majority had come to see BC: one girl had just spent 20 hours on a bus from Germany; another had flown in from the States, another from Japan and another from Hong Kong. I've heard that BC is huge in China and all because of Sherlock. There are also a large number of American reviews for Sherlock on Amazon.com.

The show is nearly over and BC hasn't mentioned Smaug once.

tolktolk
Lorien

May 6 2013, 10:46am

Post #38 of 40 (114 views)
Shortcut
Just as a footnote... [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is a new piece on Martin Freeman which was in yesterday's Observer. This was in a special supplement to tie in with the TV BAFTAS - he won a BAFTA two years ago and was also nominated last year - so it is about television, but he also describes his role in The Hobbit as amazing.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/...reeman-hawes-lincoln

The attached video, with his sage advice for aspiring actors is also well worth watching.

Elenorflower
Gondor

May 9 2013, 12:19pm

Post #39 of 40 (62 views)
Shortcut
I think he just prefers it [In reply to] Can't Post

and its as simple as that. He gets to work in London on a smallish tv production, and most importantly everyone loves it. I have never read or heard of anyone disliking Sherlock. Its got rave reviews, and an adoring quirky creative fanbase that is funny and pleasant to behold. i suppose he likes the positivity and good vibes. He also acts better in Sherlock and seems in his element.

Elenorflower
Gondor

May 9 2013, 12:23pm

Post #40 of 40 (91 views)
Shortcut
yes i agree [In reply to] Can't Post

there is a scene after Sherlock has 'gone' where he is sat talking to his therapist, talking about his loss, the subtlety of his acting is mind boggling.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.