Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Another Balin thread-this time it's negative
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2013, 12:53am

Post #26 of 36 (1342 views)
Shortcut
i'm afraid [In reply to] Can't Post

[brethil] Personally, I like my Thorin with extra perdition, Mac. [/brethil]

i'm afraid that you, by all that is measurable in all the sciences (and has been proven beyond a doubt by double-blind studies) are definitively correct.

yes...thorin is best with extra perdition.

it is known.

(huh. perdition feels... kinda good.)

cheers ---

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

(This post was edited by Maciliel on Apr 29 2013, 12:53am)

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Apr 29 2013, 11:26am

Post #27 of 36 (1326 views)
Shortcut
*model of innocence* [In reply to] Can't Post

If Brethil and I are good at anything, it's heading down dwarvish paths of perdition, looking for a good besmirching. With Thorin, mind. Though if Brethil's not looking I might bring Kili along too. Oh, and Thranduil. I bet *he's* pretty good at besmirching (he's certainly good at lollery and louchery). And no, I'm not greedy -- just optimistic. Cool

Polite and respectful? Don't worry, we'll cure you of that soon enough. Wink

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 29 2013, 5:48pm

Post #28 of 36 (1334 views)
Shortcut
Ro, feel free to bring along whomever you feel like! Your taste is impeccable. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If Brethil and I are good at anything, it's heading down dwarvish paths of perdition, looking for a good besmirching. With Thorin, mind. Though if Brethil's not looking I might bring Kili along too. Oh, and Thranduil. I bet *he's* pretty good at besmirching (he's certainly good at lollery and louchery). And no, I'm not greedy -- just optimistic. Cool

Polite and respectful? Don't worry, we'll cure you of that soon enough. Wink

Especially if it's Fili too.Smile Certainly you aren't greedy -I adore your list. And it's not optimism - they'd be LUCKY! (louchy?)

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

andthroughthesky

Apr 29 2013, 6:23pm

Post #29 of 36 (1309 views)
Shortcut
Result of Thorin's death? [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe his desire to reclaim Moria comes as a result of Thorin's death, maybe he develops a true hatred for orcs and wants to see them cast out of Moria. I think that this would be a really interesting thread for them to pursue in the next two films...
Also I wouldn't call Balin useless, I think he plays an important role in being a steady and loyal friend to Thorin who gives well reasoned opinions. Let's see what they do with him later this year!

Dis15
Bree

May 1 2013, 5:23pm

Post #30 of 36 (1303 views)
Shortcut
I agree that Balin's motivations for going to Moria [In reply to] Can't Post

are probably very complex. I have wondered how Dain's inheritance of the throne affected the dwarves of the company, esp. Balin and Dwalin.
I loved Ken Stott's portrayal of Balin. I have The Hobbit Special Edition and disc 2 is a 2-hour compilation of blogs, how we made the movie, interviews, etc., and is very good. Ken Stott is notably missing, not even one interview and only one or two behind the scene shots, and they were quick. It was a little disappointing. I figure maybe he is a very private person and possibly had a no interview clause written into his contract from the beginning kind-of-thing.
Thorin says Ru-ba-ka three times in the movie. I figure it is a war cry. Does anyone have an exact translation?

RUUUU-BAAAA-KAAAA

Angharad73
Rohan

May 1 2013, 5:31pm

Post #31 of 36 (1692 views)
Shortcut
Du BekÔr! [In reply to] Can't Post

It apparently means "To Arms!" It's a Khuzdul war cry.

Took me a while to actually hear the words. The pronunciations of Khuzdul are quite hard to catch clearly, I find.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

May 1 2013, 7:00pm

Post #32 of 36 (1287 views)
Shortcut
Ken Stott can be seen on the Best Buy behind the scenes video... [In reply to] Can't Post

..."A Hobbit's Tale", which you can find on Youtube, so he was obviously interviewed like the rest of the cast, probably to go on the EE extras, but apart from that he has totally kept a low profile!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
» Victoria Monfort

Dis15
Bree

May 1 2013, 8:43pm

Post #33 of 36 (2367 views)
Shortcut
Du Bekar ? This is the correct [In reply to] Can't Post

spelling and pronunciation? I was way off. A difficult language, but fascinating!

I do hope they include Ken Stott in the EE appendices. I would so like to hear about his experiences and see what he really looks like

Thanks to both of you.

Angharad73
Rohan

May 1 2013, 9:00pm

Post #34 of 36 (1328 views)
Shortcut
In case you are interested... [In reply to] Can't Post

...there is a website that lists the Khuzdul/Orkish/Sindarin/Quenya phrases from the movie plus translations (or links for them, at least):
http://www.elendilion.pl/2013/01/06/g-i-p-report-hobbits-quenya-orkish-and-khuzdl/

Dis15
Bree

May 2 2013, 1:21pm

Post #35 of 36 (1276 views)
Shortcut
I am, I am a little on Middle Earth Languages, obviously [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks

MaeBeth
Bree

May 8 2013, 6:53pm

Post #36 of 36 (1225 views)
Shortcut
I agree with you [In reply to] Can't Post

as well as with Maciliel & dormouseSmile

I never thought about how Balin would feel about Dains' rule though. I suppose that will be right on the money, after losing three good dwarves in BoFA.

For you & I, there's a new land (Angels that fly)
Sanctuary, my sanctuary yeah
Where fears & lies melt away (Musical tide)
What's left of me, what's left of me now

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.