Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Smaug's fire

Skaan
Lorien

Apr 27 2013, 7:07pm

Post #1 of 11 (770 views)
Shortcut
Smaug's fire Can't Post

Some recent threads/posts has got me thinking a bit. In the AUJ prologue, Smaug's fire seems to be a bit different than regular fire. Some say it's bad CGI, some say it's supposed to look like that.

Do you think they gave Smaug a special kind of fire? It seems like it's some sort of solid material from the way it makes contact with walls/streets/towers, etc.

They have mentioned a couple of times how they want to make Smaug stand out from other movie dragons, while still retaining the classical dragon feel. Do you think this is one of the reasons how they want to make him different?

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2013, 7:16pm

Post #2 of 11 (458 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, it's not just flame shooting out, [In reply to] Can't Post

there's some weight to it, almost like globs of flaming crude oil. It looks like it would do even more damage than just projected flames, as it would stick to anything it hits and keep burning. Plus it seems to have quite a bit of projectile force, blasting through doors and such.

I do think it was a design choice by PJ and Weta, to set Smaug apart from all the other film dragons of the past 20-30 years. I think it looks very cool, and could bring an entirely new, interesting aspect to the battle sequences. I can't wait to see it in action.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Apr 27 2013, 7:20pm)

sycorax82
Rohan

Apr 27 2013, 9:45pm

Post #3 of 11 (354 views)
Shortcut
It makes me think of napalm... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm really glad they're going in this direction. It's much more horrific than 'normal' dragon fire!!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2013, 11:11pm

Post #4 of 11 (349 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it may be that they've been inspired by [In reply to] Can't Post

the bombardier beetle, which produces two chemicals in separate chambers in its abdomen, then, when threatened, mixes them with some enzymes and shoots them out - and they react to each other by heating to boiling point.

There are those who have speculated that perhaps some dinosaurs may have had a similar capability and that could be the source of the "fire-breathing " dragon of mythology.

I agree that it looks like a flaming oily substance rather than just flame like you'd get from a flamethrower, and this could be why. I think it would be cool if it was.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Apr 27 2013, 11:12pm)

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2013, 11:32pm

Post #5 of 11 (310 views)
Shortcut
so basically.. [In reply to] Can't Post

your saying he's spewing napalm now? fire does not cling to buildings and people.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Kirly
Lorien

Apr 28 2013, 1:11am

Post #6 of 11 (277 views)
Shortcut
Or like very liquid lava/// [In reply to] Can't Post

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

imin
Valinor

Apr 28 2013, 11:27am

Post #7 of 11 (234 views)
Shortcut
Who was around to see this to create the mythology? :P [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There are those who have speculated that perhaps some dinosaurs may have had a similar capability and that could be the source of the "fire-breathing " dragon of mythology.

And Iluvatar spoke to Ulmo, and said: 'Seest thou not how here in this little realm in the Deeps of Time Melkor hath made war upon thy province? He hath bethought him of bitter cold immoderate, and yet hath not destroyed the beauty of thy fountains, nor of my clear pools. Behold the snow, and the cunning work of frost! Melkor hath devised heats and fire without restraint, and hath not dried up thy desire nor utterly quelled the music of the sea. Behold rather the height and glory of the clouds, and the everchanging mists; and listen to the fall of rain upon the Earth! And in these clouds thou art drawn nearer to Manwe, thy friend, whom thou lovest.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2013, 11:47am

Post #8 of 11 (225 views)
Shortcut
Jesus rode a dinosaur, didn't he?// [In reply to] Can't Post

imin
Valinor

Apr 28 2013, 12:04pm

Post #9 of 11 (225 views)
Shortcut
Looks like it's true! :P [In reply to] Can't Post

http://aintnogod.com/...allery_2_6_31654.jpg

And Iluvatar spoke to Ulmo, and said: 'Seest thou not how here in this little realm in the Deeps of Time Melkor hath made war upon thy province? He hath bethought him of bitter cold immoderate, and yet hath not destroyed the beauty of thy fountains, nor of my clear pools. Behold the snow, and the cunning work of frost! Melkor hath devised heats and fire without restraint, and hath not dried up thy desire nor utterly quelled the music of the sea. Behold rather the height and glory of the clouds, and the everchanging mists; and listen to the fall of rain upon the Earth! And in these clouds thou art drawn nearer to Manwe, thy friend, whom thou lovest.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2013, 12:07pm

Post #10 of 11 (212 views)
Shortcut
NIce... [In reply to] Can't Post

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2013, 12:36pm

Post #11 of 11 (230 views)
Shortcut
I don't know much about napalm, [In reply to] Can't Post

but yeah, that sounds like what i was getting at. But it's hard to tell exactly what's going on with it in just those few quick shots though.

EDIT: Just wikipedia-ed napalm, and it seems like that's close, though in the prologue it seems even more solid, thicker and heavier. But, like i said, it's hard to tell from the brief shots in AUJ.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Apr 28 2013, 12:43pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.