The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
How do I get to be an extra hobbit?

Merenwen
The Shire

Dec 19 2007, 7:52pm

Post #1 of 15 (1088 views)
Shortcut
How do I get to be an extra hobbit? Can't Post

First of all, I'm a newbie and I apologise if I'm not supposed to post something like this.

For a long time I've thought if there's ever going to be a Hobbit movie, I want to be in it. I have no illusions of being able to act, there are no speaking parts suitable for me and I have a slight accent that could be hard to get rid of. What I want is to become an extra in the Hobbit, but I don't actually know how to make that happen or if it's even possible. The sites that I've found on becoming an extra tell you to live in New York or LA and find an agency so they're not any help for me. I don't even know who's responsible for extras casting on these films. Has it been decided yet? Is it possible to just send a letter to the casting coordinator? Not really sure why they'd want me anyway. My only credit is that I'm short and have round face and there isn't really much need in the Hobbit for hobbity looking women. I guess, I could be a small woman in the Lake-town or something.

I just hope someone here could give me some advice.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 19 2007, 8:50pm

Post #2 of 15 (933 views)
Shortcut
a) Live in the country where the movie is being filmed. [In reply to] Can't Post

b) Keep an eye on the major newspapers for ads that call for extras.

'B' is likely to be a long way away, so you have time to plan your country relocation. ;)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2007, 10:58pm

Post #3 of 15 (884 views)
Shortcut
Have room for an extra person, Ataahua? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can do the dishes.

Wink

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 19 2007, 11:34pm

Post #4 of 15 (866 views)
Shortcut
Heck, with that offer, you're in! >:) / [In reply to] Can't Post

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

merklynn
Lorien

Dec 20 2007, 1:44pm

Post #5 of 15 (891 views)
Shortcut
How to be in the film [In reply to] Can't Post

I was an extra in "Xena: Warrior Princess" and had the option at the time of becoming an extra in LOTR: FOTR. Living in Auckland, I would have had to relocate to Wellington. Having just gone through a number of shoots for Xena where myself and others were dressed as Roman soldiers and being rained upon by a rain machine inside a castle courtyard set, which was inadvertantly serving as a wind tunnel, I knew what I would be in for with LOTR and I also knew how unreliable the talent agencies could be on paying extras promptly. So at the time practicality ruled out over the whimsical desire to be a part of the film.

However, looking back on it all now, I was at a point in my life where I could have relocated and had an adventure down in Wellington as part of the film and now that I'm married and living in the USA, freedom like that is long gone. Keep in mind the pay isn't fantastic, and you aren't usually working 5 days a week. If you are prepared for some extremely harrowing and tiring work, early starts (4am-5am) with LONG hours (sometimes 14 hours or more), and being mercilessly exposed to the elements on location shoots, then you have what it takes. But you need to be local to the film, that doesn't just mean being in New Zealand, but also being in the same city.

Getting into LOTR was very easy according to the NZ talent agency I was with at the time. Getting on Herc and Xena was similarly so. Basically, a lot of people were needed and it is often hard to find people who are flexible enough with their hours and will be reliable and show up on set when needed. So the agencies weren't very fussy. So I would recommend, if you are serious, to move to Wellington NZ, and join one of the talent agencies down there and tell them you are enthusiastic, reliable, have a flexible schedule (always available, especially if someone else drops out) and that you have transport -- even if you don't, but believe you can get to the studio/location or pickup point (they will often have everyone gather at a place like a parking lot where a bus from the studio will come to pick up the extras and take them to the location).

It's pretty difficult for someone who is not a citizen of the country where the movie is primarily filming, because you'll need some kind of working visa (whatever the NZ equivalent is) and have to find accommodation... all while making a sometimes sporadic income as an extra. So you could also be looking at a part time job in a restaurant or some other place to make sure you can pay the bills.

Hope this helps. It's doable, but you have to be prepared for a lot of tough living for a while.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 20 2007, 5:53pm

Post #6 of 15 (836 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for that information Merklynn! [In reply to] Can't Post

That'll be really helpful for anyone interested in taking part in the films.

One of my friends was living in Wellington and had the chance to become a stuntwoman on LOTR, given that she is a profficient horsewoman - but good sense and a new job in her chosen career prompted her to turn it down. I can understand her reasoning, but still - pity!

Ataahua's stories

deej
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2007, 9:27pm

Post #7 of 15 (812 views)
Shortcut
I'll bring you chocolate. [In reply to] Can't Post

Can I come, too? Cool

The Hobbit is Happening!

Bilbo Fans for Martin Freeman!

Merenwen
The Shire

Dec 20 2007, 9:44pm

Post #8 of 15 (825 views)
Shortcut
Re: How to be in the film [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you very much for the information (and a much needed reality check), merklynn. I'm not sure I'm ready to get a NZ citizenship just to see myself in the movie as I'm currently living in Europe. I was hoping it would be possible to get a visa to work there for maybe a few months. I wasn't expecting to make big money from it, but money isn't really a problem for me (and obviously I'd have a part time job as Ataahua's personal chef :P ). I have to think about if I really want it that much.

(This post was edited by Merenwen on Dec 20 2007, 9:47pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 20 2007, 9:46pm

Post #9 of 15 (794 views)
Shortcut
You know me and my weaknesses too well, deej... / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua's stories

merklynn
Lorien

Dec 20 2007, 9:55pm

Post #10 of 15 (827 views)
Shortcut
Glad I could help a bit [In reply to] Can't Post

You definitely don't need NZ citizenship. Just some kind of working visa like I said. All you need is to REALLY want this. In retrospect I wish I had gone for it back when I had a chance. But I lived in the country so that helped. If money isn't a big problem for you then maybe you should consider it and look into work options like Visas in NZ.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2007, 11:18pm

Post #11 of 15 (808 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the info! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is definitely a good thing to know.

I want to study in NZ in college, so basically if they happen to push filming a couple years back (which I doubt will happen, but one can dream), I'd probably look into this (depending on how long vacations are for college students in NZ :P) I should work there anyways, so I imagine I'll try and get a work permit.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Merenwen
The Shire

Dec 21 2007, 8:09pm

Post #12 of 15 (803 views)
Shortcut
Luckily, we have at least one year to decide [In reply to] Can't Post

I have lots of things to do in 2008, but in 2009 I could arrange to go to NZ for awhile. I wish I knew someone who also wanted to go. I spent five months in London while writing my Master's Thesis and I felt very isolated there even though I spent my meal times with other foreigners and my English is pretty excellent, if I say so myself. Right now, the isolation sounds worse than long hours and losing more money than I'd make.

Velendil

Jun 2 2008, 4:49pm

Post #13 of 15 (749 views)
Shortcut
how to be an extra [In reply to] Can't Post

I read your page and i am so ready to be an extra. I am only going to be able to get to new zealand at the end of 2010, in about late december. Will that be to late? I'm not looking to a main extra (it would be really cool) just some random backround guy. Will it be ok to in the end of 2010?

merklynn
Lorien

Jun 2 2008, 5:28pm

Post #14 of 15 (752 views)
Shortcut
Defining the types of Extras... [In reply to] Can't Post

I expect they may do pickups and reshoots, but by the end of 2010 they will probably be finished with all the major filming. There's still a chance of being an extra I'm sure.

Just FYI, there is an Extra, Feature Extra, Extra with Speaking Role.

An Extra (who may or may not end up getting seen on film)

A featured Extra (who for example, might hand something to an actor in a scene, much more likely to end up being seen in the film)

An Extra with Speaking role (again, not guaranteed you will still end up in the finished film after edits, but more likely. This is usually just one line / sentence or so).

Beyond this you are getting into genuine acting ability and multiple lines of dialoge. Basically, playing a more prominent character, all the way up to the main characters. But for these roles you would have to audition. You would likely have to audition for the Extra with Speaking role too.

I've only ever done 3 auditions for speaking roles before and I only got one call back. I did not ultimately land the part. It was for the lead in an independent NZ movie. I don't even know if it got off the ground in the end. But I'd be happy to share any advice I am able to give.

Velendil

Jun 2 2008, 6:53pm

Post #15 of 15 (787 views)
Shortcut
how to be an extra [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the help.
so if i go to NZ like at the end of november i stll might have a good chance to make it as a normal extra.
ThanksSmile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.