Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
It cannot be an exact mirror for any story, as there is no known Tauriel.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 28 2013, 6:29pm

Views: 69
Shortcut
It cannot be an exact mirror for any story, as there is no known Tauriel. [In reply to] Can't Post

So there will have to be a gulf of some measure between recognizing and seeing a scenario almost directly lifted from the history.

The story of Nimrodel can be, in some places, mirrored without stepping on any fan toes or on the lore. Replicating themes of longing, pining and loss in Tauriel's life does not revise and omit them from Nimrodel's. Hell, she could even mention Nimrodel in comparison to herself. "It is akin to the tragedy of Nimrodel long ago. Evil comes to shadow the forest, and the hope of love is lost." Something like that. THey have already said there will be love and pining of some manner involving Tauriel, Thranduil and Kili, though the specifics remain uncertain.

To give her Glorfindel's role (or even Earnur's), is not only a massive stretch, it is something of a shot across the bow. The creative team, Boyens et al, CANNOT be so oblivious as to not know that a fair number of fans were quite displeased over the unceremonious handling of Glorfindel, and one would hope they would not be either so oblivious, obtuse, callous, or playfully spiteful, as to (having already aggrandized the likes of a comparative feather weight like Lindir) go so far as reassigning more of his history and historical significance to another Elf again, and in this instance one who never even appeared in the stories. That would be beyond obnoxious. It would simply be ugly.

In Reply To
...given what we know about her character as the serious, badass warrior. I believe she may shed a tear for him at the end, but I can't see her go off by herself and pine away, as Nimrodel did. Plus, I can't see the writers devoting the time they would need in TABA to show one relatively minor character go off by herself and pine away.

Still, it's possible that just the story of Nimrodel the female elf per se inspired Tauriel-- you could interpret Boyens' remark about a story thread in LOTR that she and Fran Walsh liked in many ways, so maybe Nimrodel just "inspired" them to write about a female elf character. The main problem for me with that is that Boyens said that "hardcore fans will recognize the storyline". So, it should at least have some similarity to an actual story thread from LOTR.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Subject User Time
Like or Dislike the idea of the High Fells ?! NoelGallagher Send a private message to NoelGallagher Apr 25 2013, 8:17pm
    I find it intriguing Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Apr 25 2013, 9:24pm
    I like it lurtz2010 Send a private message to lurtz2010 Apr 25 2013, 9:36pm
        well, painjoiker Send a private message to painjoiker Apr 25 2013, 10:11pm
        Tolkien could be VERY prickly about details. Rewriting the wars of The North, AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Apr 25 2013, 10:42pm
            it's good for the movieverse though don't you think? lurtz2010 Send a private message to lurtz2010 Apr 26 2013, 1:23am
                I think it can work in the films without too much in movie contradiction,and be a good scene from that perspective, HOWEVER AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Apr 27 2013, 12:22am
    To quote a song of my own making, I am passionately ambivalent. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Apr 25 2013, 10:41pm
        Agree with this Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Apr 26 2013, 2:15pm
            I know it messes with the history, sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Apr 26 2013, 4:20pm
                That of course is possible. Smeagol Bagginsess Send a private message to Smeagol Bagginsess Apr 26 2013, 6:04pm
                    I can see it... DwellerInDale Send a private message to DwellerInDale Apr 26 2013, 6:47pm
                Even though... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Apr 27 2013, 12:31am
    From what I've seen and heard TheSexyBeard Send a private message to TheSexyBeard Apr 25 2013, 11:43pm
    Aren't the High Fells Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Apr 26 2013, 12:45am
        so was the high fells scene filmed in Colorado then? lurtz2010 Send a private message to lurtz2010 Apr 26 2013, 1:38am
            I think Andy Serkis shot that stuff second unit.// sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Apr 26 2013, 2:59am
            It was an attempt at humor.// Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Apr 26 2013, 7:09am
                I know lurtz2010 Send a private message to lurtz2010 Apr 26 2013, 7:21am
    Wary as i am about mucking about with Tolkien's history, sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Apr 26 2013, 1:26am
    I have only one issue with the scene. Smeagol Bagginsess Send a private message to Smeagol Bagginsess Apr 26 2013, 4:22am
        An explanation for the movie adaptation: DwellerInDale Send a private message to DwellerInDale Apr 26 2013, 5:41am
            That creates inconsistencies as well. Smeagol Bagginsess Send a private message to Smeagol Bagginsess Apr 26 2013, 6:02am
                Speaking of necromancy Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Apr 26 2013, 6:11am
                This. How can something with no body be buried??? Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Apr 26 2013, 6:48am
                    you can still bury a undead body... MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Apr 26 2013, 7:05am
                Only with the books, not the movies DwellerInDale Send a private message to DwellerInDale Apr 26 2013, 6:51am
                    Those are forceful explanations. Smeagol Bagginsess Send a private message to Smeagol Bagginsess Apr 26 2013, 7:26am
                        Two points, including a (possible) spoiler DwellerInDale Send a private message to DwellerInDale Apr 26 2013, 7:55am
                            Poor old Glorfi. Smeagol Bagginsess Send a private message to Smeagol Bagginsess Apr 26 2013, 8:15am
                            Now that would make me walk out of the theatre! Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Apr 26 2013, 9:02am
                                I agree. Smeagol Bagginsess Send a private message to Smeagol Bagginsess Apr 26 2013, 10:42am
                                    Far less than Legolas, I guess. Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Apr 26 2013, 11:16am
                                Really? Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful Apr 26 2013, 4:08pm
                                    Of course not! (After all, I like to get my money's worth...;-) ) Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Apr 26 2013, 5:00pm
                                Beyond outrageous. She ISN'T EVEN A HIGH ELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Apr 27 2013, 1:40am
                            Read about Tauriel saying this before... Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Apr 26 2013, 9:20am
                                "i need a horse" NoelGallagher Send a private message to NoelGallagher Apr 26 2013, 9:41am
                                    Er, could you clarify please ...? DwellerInDale Send a private message to DwellerInDale Apr 26 2013, 9:53am
                                        i just pointed out NoelGallagher Send a private message to NoelGallagher Apr 26 2013, 10:53am
                                    It was filmed on the Mirkwood set DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Apr 26 2013, 10:00am
                                        Or after the battle... Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Apr 26 2013, 11:11am
                            WTF!!!!! That better be false. If Tauriel opens her mouth and speaks Glorfindel's prophecy in a film AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Apr 27 2013, 1:34am
                                Calm down AO, there is another possible interpretation. DwellerInDale Send a private message to DwellerInDale Apr 27 2013, 2:01am
                                    I think the Tauriel involvement in the Prophecy is way off the mark if based on the Boyens' comment... Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Apr 27 2013, 1:12pm
                                        Eleniel, are you sure? DwellerInDale Send a private message to DwellerInDale Apr 27 2013, 2:16pm
                                            Oh, okay, I misremembered... Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Apr 27 2013, 3:09pm
                                            The Witch-King being driven from the battle by Glorfindel, his abandoning of The North and the Prophecy Glorfindel makes doesn't have any feminine energy at all AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Apr 27 2013, 10:47pm
                                        Ah! Nimorodel. Now THAT makes more sense. Nimrodel was a wood elf. She fled Lothlorien when The Balrog overthrew Moria. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Apr 27 2013, 10:37pm
                                            The problem with Nimrodel... DwellerInDale Send a private message to DwellerInDale Apr 28 2013, 2:36am
                                                Supposedly she will pine for Thranduil. And that isn't going to happen. For one thing he is AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Apr 28 2013, 5:55am
                                                Why not have her pine Eruwestial37 Send a private message to Eruwestial37 Apr 28 2013, 7:47am
                                                    Seems highly unlikely, DwellerInDale Send a private message to DwellerInDale Apr 28 2013, 12:42pm
                                                        It cannot be an exact mirror for any story, as there is no known Tauriel. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Apr 28 2013, 6:29pm
                        I was wrong about the prologue - that just says 9 were given to mortal men, great kings of old... Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Apr 26 2013, 9:00am
                        I agree fervently here. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Apr 27 2013, 1:30am
                lol would you really not see the movie over it? lurtz2010 Send a private message to lurtz2010 Apr 26 2013, 7:26am
                This sums up my thoughts nicely... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Apr 27 2013, 12:42am
    I like the scene. emre43 Send a private message to emre43 Apr 26 2013, 6:46am
        No, Tolkien didn't describe the assault on Dol Guldur... Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Apr 26 2013, 6:53am
    i think this is premature MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Apr 26 2013, 6:57am
    I am caught in the middle... Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Apr 26 2013, 7:04am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.