Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Things Tolkien never stated but that you always assumed.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

CuriousG
Valinor

May 2 2013, 4:41pm

Post #26 of 39 (183 views)
Shortcut
It is froggy, precious [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome to the Reading Room, Frostbitten!

I have trouble dislodging Gollum as a frog image from my mind. I'm never quite sure of the source, though possibly the language sometimes used for him, such as hands and feet "splayed," or on Mt Doom when he crouches and Sam warns Frodo that Gollum will spring--seems frog-like, though he hisses like a snake, and of course his origin is as a hobbit, not a frog. Yet that image sticks with me.

Frostbitten
The Shire

May 2 2013, 7:57pm

Post #27 of 39 (170 views)
Shortcut
Gollum [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, he's kind of indistinct in the books, and I had trouble with that too. I pictured him a lot like in the films, more gray and less green, etc. Picture a crawling discolored skinny dude with bulging eyes and major hair loss. ;)

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.”

(This post was edited by Frostbitten on May 2 2013, 7:58pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

May 2 2013, 8:16pm

Post #28 of 39 (167 views)
Shortcut
like a frog [In reply to] Can't Post

"Suddenly, with startling agility and speed, straight off the ground with a jump like a grasshopper or a frog."

"It swam to the side, and then with marvellous agility a froglike figure climbed out of the water and up the bank."

"Gollum squealed, and springing aside on to all fours, he jumped away in one big bound like a frog."

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.

CuriousG
Valinor

May 2 2013, 8:18pm

Post #29 of 39 (162 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Darkstone [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew there were textual references that influenced my image of him, just couldn't remember where they were.

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

May 3 2013, 6:57am

Post #30 of 39 (146 views)
Shortcut
"Like a frog" versus "a frog"? [In reply to] Can't Post

Great quotes Darkstone. I'd always taken them to be metaphor though, rather than seeing Gollum as an actual frog.

But I guess one can do that, if one likes (it's not contradicted by the text)!

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowim I am in the West, and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

May 3 2013, 9:43am

Post #31 of 39 (140 views)
Shortcut
perhaps you are... [In reply to] Can't Post

...haunted by ranikin bass....

meet your gollum

i know i was, for many years.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

ltnjmy
Rivendell

May 3 2013, 3:49pm

Post #32 of 39 (145 views)
Shortcut
Celebrian's capture and torment by the Orcs [In reply to] Can't Post

I always felt that it was some sort of sexual assault - like a rape. . . and that is why not even her husband, skilled in healing, could not make her whole again and she departed for Valinor and left her spouse, parents (Galadriel & Celeborn) and kids. . .

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

May 3 2013, 3:51pm

Post #33 of 39 (147 views)
Shortcut
ah, that's a particular one [In reply to] Can't Post

good observation, ltnjmy, even if it's not pleasant to think about.

i, too, share that perpective.

cheers ---

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

Brethil
Half-elven

May 3 2013, 4:51pm

Post #34 of 39 (134 views)
Shortcut
Agreed as well [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I always felt that it was some sort of sexual assault - like a rape. . . and that is why not even her husband, skilled in healing, could not make her whole again and she departed for Valinor and left her spouse, parents (Galadriel & Celeborn) and kids. . .

Plus I think it explains the sort of cold, tireless rage of Elladan and Ellrohir seemed to have against the Orcs. I did think that from the first read, and found it disturbing. Now I think it also serves to give us insights into Ocs and their developmental proximity to Elves. Not a happy thought at all though.

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

May 3 2013, 5:54pm

Post #35 of 39 (108 views)
Shortcut
ranikin bass sounds like either a beer or something musical - my brain realises its Friday [In reply to] Can't Post

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowim I am in the West, and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

May 3 2013, 6:21pm

Post #36 of 39 (112 views)
Shortcut
smeagol pale ale [In reply to] Can't Post

...fitting, no?

cheers -

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

May 3 2013, 7:37pm

Post #37 of 39 (97 views)
Shortcut
Or maybe, "Gollum's bitter"? // [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Valinor

May 4 2013, 11:02pm

Post #38 of 39 (89 views)
Shortcut
*Sitting between you two in a bar, listening to your orders: death from chortling.* [In reply to] Can't Post

elaen32
Gondor

May 5 2013, 9:29am

Post #39 of 39 (91 views)
Shortcut
Death from chortling? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Is that a type of cocktail? What's in it?Laugh

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.