Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
epic fail for the hobbit!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Loresilme
Valinor

Apr 25 2013, 2:28am

Post #26 of 37 (294 views)
Shortcut
Good point, that will also be something to consider [In reply to] Can't Post

-- actors' ages, their make up and costuming, hair, etc., as well as the difference in the special effects used. Also, the evolution of the music as it appears, reappears and changes across the entire story.

All in all there will be quite a lot to compare between the two sets!

xxxyyy
Rohan

Apr 25 2013, 2:23pm

Post #27 of 37 (272 views)
Shortcut
I'll just wait the end of TABA to judge that scene... [In reply to] Can't Post

I want to know how Bilbo's narration (flashback) scene ends, then I will tell if it fits or not into EE FOTR dynamics.
If it does not, I'm sure PJ would slightly reedit one of the two scenes to fix it, in a future "definitive" edition.

http://energyfromthorium.com/

peteywarren0829

Apr 26 2013, 12:47am

Post #28 of 37 (232 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

By going from The Hobbit straight through, things make more sense; such as the level of hatred between the Dwarfs and the Elves. Gimli and Legolas' friendship is much more potent when you understand the back story.

That is not to say there are not some curious choices though in An Unexpected Journey; such as, the decision to have Bilbo write the Red book on his birthday, the re-imaging of Azog and Dain, and the decision to make Saurman so hostile. I still think it should precede the Lord of the Rings films for the new viewer though; the Good Lord knows those films made their own share of curious choices.

Still, I love them all! Smile

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2013, 3:27am

Post #29 of 37 (211 views)
Shortcut
This would make an excellent poll on The Pollantir. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

So which way should be the best way to see all 6 films when they are done?... The Hobbit thru ROTK OR... start with FOTR and end with The Hobbit TABA?

Escapist
Gondor

Apr 26 2013, 3:30am

Post #30 of 37 (220 views)
Shortcut
Not like that, though - otherwise they would have put it together just like that. [In reply to] Can't Post

It does fit with some interpolation. You don't have to accept that interpolation or like it.

And no matter what the fan edit is, this is its effect. This is a result of fan-editing common to all fan-edits and not at all particular to these particular scenes.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Apr 26 2013, 10:24am

Post #31 of 37 (204 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to make a bold assumption.... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I get the feeling you haven't actually watched LotR since viewing The Hobbit. Even without putting the scenes next to eachother, when you re-watch LotR, the intro simply doesn't work because Bilbo clearly has no idea about Frodo meeting Gandalf.

dreamflower
Lorien

Apr 29 2013, 1:29pm

Post #32 of 37 (176 views)
Shortcut
I think the problem lies elsewhere [In reply to] Can't Post

In the whole concept of having Bilbo beginning the book on that particular day in the first place. Is he planning to write the whole of the Red Book in the few hours between then and the Party? Also very strange is the idea that he's only just getting his RSVPs from people that day, and that he is not busy with his duties as a host--anyone who's thrown a big party knows there's no time to sit down and write your memoirs at a time like that! Absent minded is one thing, but that level of forgetfulness goes beyond that by a long shot.

It would have made much more sense if he'd finished the story already, and he's just writing in a sort of prologue or something, or perhaps penning a letter for Frodo to leave inside the book. It makes no sense that he's waiting to tell Frodo all this until the day he's leaving.

But there are a lot more continuity errors in LotR than in TH.

dreamflower
Lorien

Apr 29 2013, 1:41pm

Post #33 of 37 (175 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo forgets... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that he is hosting the biggest and most anticipated social event in the Shire? I hardly think so.

If he was that forgetful he would not have even been capable of making the journey as far as Rivendell.

The sequence is nice, and I enjoyed it very much. It was fun to see Frodo again and to see more of the inside of Bag End. I loved the cute segue from "older Bilbo" to "younger Bilbo" with the smoke rings.

But it is still a continuity problem.

BallyWhooo
Bree

May 12 2013, 4:07am

Post #34 of 37 (161 views)
Shortcut
Just how "knowing" are they? [In reply to] Can't Post

You could say that Bilbo's several attempts to begin his book is an homage to Tolkien himself who, as we know, wrote and rewrote and rewrote the very first chapter of The Lord of the Rings (and all of the first few chapters) many, many times as character names changed, etc.

But I think the forgetfulness thing is also quite defensible as others here have noted several things Bilbo forgets at Bag End that day... And at the very end of the movies he has forgotten that Frodo has taken the Ring to Mt Doom where it was unmade... a pretty big event to forget about if you wore the thing fairly often for half a century.

Imladris18
Lorien

Jul 5 2013, 4:37pm

Post #35 of 37 (145 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo goes to Rivendell to "finish his book," though. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In the whole concept of having Bilbo beginning the book on that particular day in the first place. Is he planning to write the whole of the Red Book in the few hours between then and the Party? Also very strange is the idea that he's only just getting his RSVPs from people that day, and that he is not busy with his duties as a host--anyone who's thrown a big party knows there's no time to sit down and write your memoirs at a time like that! Absent minded is one thing, but that level of forgetfulness goes beyond that by a long shot.

It would have made much more sense if he'd finished the story already, and he's just writing in a sort of prologue or something, or perhaps penning a letter for Frodo to leave inside the book. It makes no sense that he's waiting to tell Frodo all this until the day he's leaving.

But there are a lot more continuity errors in LotR than in TH.

He realizes that he's getting old, especially on his birthday, so he starts writing everything down right away.

I think that works.

dreamflower
Lorien

Jul 5 2013, 4:49pm

Post #36 of 37 (144 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

Exactly so. Of course, that finishing could consist of polishing up the story and of adding the parts that will supposedly become later what we know as The Silmarillion, but the thing is that he would NOT be likely to be just starting the story on that particular day and that he's only just now getting around to telling Frodo the full story.

I also don't buy the idea that he's forgotten all about this spectacular party he's spent months in planning, or that he would only be receiving answers to the invitations that day, either.

I do enjoy the scenes in this part of the movie, but much more for the glimpses of Bag End and the Shire and of hobbits, and the brief chance to see Frodo and "older" Bilbo, than for any reasons related to common sense or logic as to the way the actions of the characters are depicted.

(And we shall draw a curtain over the clashes with book-verse...)

Imladris18
Lorien

Jul 5 2013, 5:37pm

Post #37 of 37 (148 views)
Shortcut
Don't get me wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

I have issues with him completely forgetting the huge party and everything as well; it's just that Bilbo starting his book that particular day is not one of those issues, lol.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.