Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Music of the next 2 movies

Skaan
Lorien

Apr 23 2013, 9:35pm

Post #1 of 13 (846 views)
Shortcut
Music of the next 2 movies Can't Post

So, even though i'm looking forward to loads of things in the next 2 movies, Howard Shore's music is always the thing i'm looking forward to the most.

Wich scenes do you think will have stunning music? Wich scenes are you looking forward to because of the potential music?

Some of my most anticipated scenes:
-Smaug's scenes (especially his attack on Laketown)
-Beorn's arrival at the BOFA (maybe it will rival Gandalf's arrival at Helm's Deep?)
-Thranduil's scenes (i loved the little tease of his theme we got in the prologue)
-The dwarves breaking out of the mountain in order to fight at the BOFA

Also, this might be a stupid question, but is Howard Shore already working on DoS? I know he hasn't started recording yet and all, but do you think he's already writing the music/coming up with ideas? I have no idea what the usual process is for composing a movie soundtrack.

cats16
Valinor

Apr 23 2013, 10:33pm

Post #2 of 13 (403 views)
Shortcut
Really cool thread [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this thread is awesome, because I never have really put that much thought into the specific moments that could have awesome musical moments. I sort of thought of the plot elements more than anything.

But now that I see it in writing, this really grabs my interest. First, I agree with all of your moments. Here are some additions that I'm also anticipating:

-Barrels, barrels, and more barrels. I do remember PJ saying, quite simply, that it's going to be a ride. And I wouldn't expect anything less. Even in the book this part always seemed like the most "action adventure" moment IMO. So I really look forward to hearing what Shore compiles for this awesome sequence.

-Company's arrival at Laketown. Again, seeing that short snippet in the edited sneak peek of the dwarves, surrounded by Men of Laketown, announcing their return to the Mountain! With the snow falling, the music should be roaring triumphantly here!

(spoiler)

-And as much as we don't want to talk about the end of the BoFA, I'm really anticipating, yet also dreading, the music of the battle's conclusion (like you said about Beorn's arrival) with (assuming this does happen, which it should) Fili and Kili dying and eventually Thorin's passing also. I think many of us, including Ro, Ham Sammy, & the "Tissuettes" will hear quite a sad composition. So many passings, both physical deaths and also some beloved characters leaving us.

-Finally, the last couple of scenes in TABA. Obviously, I have no guess as to how exactly it will conclude (and maybe act as a lead-in to LOTR) but I guarantee it's probably going to be the saddest moment for me during this entire film going experience. And I'm sure Howard will fully exploit this Wink

And to your question at the end, I do wonder what his work process is, especially now that we've expanded to three films. I wonder how much of DOS has been written (I'd imagine through the Barrels sequence) so maybe he doesn't have to quite as much writing, and more editing on those parts.

Once again, great thread!

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Apr 24 2013, 12:18am

Post #3 of 13 (343 views)
Shortcut
Those are my most anticipated scenes too [In reply to] Can't Post

And I can't wait to hear who will be singing the ending theme, and what the theme will be.

Loresilme
Valinor

Apr 24 2013, 12:27am

Post #4 of 13 (333 views)
Shortcut
Oh good ones! I'm also hoping for a surprise: [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm looking forward to the scene where Bilbo climbs to the top of the tree in Mirkwood and breaks through to the clear blue sky and the butterflies fluttering all around him. That's more of a quiet scene, but I'm hoping that HS has something magical and wondrous in store for us for that moment.

I had read that the scoring process for the LOTR was much different than for most movies. As I understood it, usually a movie is filmed first and the composer writes the music afterwards or near the end of filming. The idea of the composer being involved from the very beginning, like HS was, was considered very unusual. I can only guess but given that history, I'd think he's probably already at work on the remaining two films, as they seem to have completed the majority of filming.

Thanks for this thread. I love HS' music too :-).

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Apr 24 2013, 1:19am

Post #5 of 13 (320 views)
Shortcut
Looking forward to it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've really been enjoying delving into the soundtracks over the last couple of months, both for AUJ and for all three from LOTR. I'll say again that Magpie's fantastic website is what really got me stimulated, and what got me to think a lot harder about the story that HS is telling us with the music. There's a lot more complexity there than I'd ever really stopped to consider. I'm really, really looking forward to hearing what HS gives us in the next two movies.

There's two particular scenes where I expect the music will be stunningly epic: one is when the Dwarves arrive in the snow at Laketown and announce that they have returned (I get such goosebumps thinking about that -- somehow the snow makes it so much more stunning), and the second is when the Dwarves burst forth from Erebor to join the Bo5A. I'm expecting that will be the grandest rendition of the Misty Mountains theme that we'll hear.

Another scene that's been discussed as potentially having stunning music is when Bilbo climbs above the trees in Mirkwood. He sees heaps of butterflies up there: I wonder if the music then could be some grand rendition of the moth theme we already know? Like the moth theme, only times 10,000. Maybe it's really a lepidopteran theme.

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Apr 24 2013, 3:20am

Post #6 of 13 (309 views)
Shortcut
Typically [In reply to] Can't Post

a composer won't write the actual score until the editing is finished. Otherwise the music can't be timed to the action. As you can see in the DVD supplements, the music is recorded with the conductor (Shore himself in this case) watching the film on a big screen behind the orchestra.

Months ago, as I recall, Peter said he had a version of DoS edited. Once that was finalized, the composition could be completed and recorded. If you watch the "End of All Things" supplement for RotK, you'll see a part where a scene has been re-edited, and Shore tells the orchestra they'll have to record a revised version of the scene's music. He looks very tired and discouraged, as well he might be. I'm sure that happened quite a bit.

I would imagine Shore's initial work would be on motifs and maybe thinking about instrumentation appropriate to the various cultures of Middle-earth and so on, and the composing is going on right now, at least on the scenes where the editing has been "locked down."

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Apr 24 2013, 5:32am

Post #7 of 13 (293 views)
Shortcut
So, that reminds me of something I've wondered: [In reply to] Can't Post

final editing wasn't finished on AUJ until just a couple of days, if I remember right, before the premiere. How could the music be adjusted accordingly at such a late date? I've wondered how Shore was able to pull that off, because it doesn't seem possible that they could have re-recorded music for any freshly edited scenes with so little time. I'd sure be curious to see what Shore himself would have to say on that!

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Apr 24 2013, 3:06pm

Post #8 of 13 (231 views)
Shortcut
I'm really hoping to hear... [In reply to] Can't Post

Radagast's theme. I was very disappointed that, although the theme is on the AUJ soundtrack, it isn't played at all in AUJ (perhaps it will be in the EE? I don't know). I hope that it will be used in the next 2 movies, perhaps in the assault upon Dol Guldur. I could hear how some of the parts of the theme could fit with Radagast fighting or doing Wizardly magicky stuff.

However, I also wonder that, if it is in the AUJ soundtrack that it was only meant for AUJ.

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

Bellerock
Rivendell

Apr 24 2013, 4:15pm

Post #9 of 13 (201 views)
Shortcut
Radagast's Theme [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I'm also hoping to hear more of Radagast's Theme. It is a piece that I particularly enjoy on the soundtrack CD, but didn't hear in AUJ. Maybe we'll get to hear it in DOS and see more of the wizard too. Fingers crossed.

Skaan
Lorien

Apr 24 2013, 5:27pm

Post #10 of 13 (198 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo peaking over the trees [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the responses all.

Now that some have mentioned it, the scene where Bilbo peaks over the tree tops in Mirkwood will probably be a very magical moment aswell. I think the music should indeed be a bit quiet, but in a magical way.

Also, if we're going to see the battle of Dol Guldur, we might get some great music when Galadriel takes down the walls.

I just can't wait for the music during all of Smaug's scenes. The theme we heard of him in My Dear Frodo and A Good Omen is just so evil sounding and unsettling. In the book, during Bilbo's conversation with Smaug, it is described that the longer Bilbo was talking with Smaug, the more he started becoming uncomfortable. Maybe they will use the music to achieve this in the movie? Like, it starts out a bit quiet when he just starts talking with him, but the longer he's there, the louder/more evil sounding the music will become.

Arannir
Valinor

Apr 25 2013, 7:00am

Post #11 of 13 (131 views)
Shortcut
OMG, yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I always forget about that moment when he looks out of the trees... actually, already the studio glimpse we got in one of the vlogs was amazing.

I hope this will be one of the early posters, actually!

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Apr 25 2013, 8:52am

Post #12 of 13 (114 views)
Shortcut
Of course he starts working on it before seeing the final edit [In reply to] Can't Post

He starts working on it before seeing the final edit. Why? Because we all know that Peter loves it to change the final edit one day before the premiere ;) AUJ is the best proof for that. Listen to the soundtrack CDs and then to the music in the movie/final edit. There are huge differences.

In an interview Howard Shore said that his main inspiration is the book itself and not the film. He develops the leitmotifs, clues and themes long before he sees the final edit.. even before seeing anything of the edit. He tries to visit the set once or twice and talks with Peter and other cast and crew members about characters and the tone of the film. His inspiration is Tolkiens work and I think that makes it even better. Creating the thematic base for each character and place is the main work. Afterwards he's able to put these elements together into several combinations, variations and connect them with the images of Peters edit. I'm sure they didn't always fit perfect together but even then he is able to change little things.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Skaan
Lorien

Apr 25 2013, 4:20pm

Post #13 of 13 (106 views)
Shortcut
Actually, [In reply to] Can't Post

In one of Howard's Shore many interviews (and also during the LOTR commentary tracks) he said he also gets a lot of inspiration from the film footage. Like, the way certain characters look at eachother, or the way the scene is edited.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.