Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So did Howard Shore compose the Misty Mountains theme himself?

Arandir
Gondor

Apr 23 2013, 11:41am

Post #1 of 10 (1189 views)
Shortcut
So did Howard Shore compose the Misty Mountains theme himself? Can't Post

This has been bothering me ever since I purchased 'The Hobbit' special edition soundtrack. On the back cover, where the track listings are, this particular song has an asterisk next to it indicating that its music was composed by David Donaldson, David Long, Steve Roche and Janet Roddick.Unimpressed

Don't get me wrong, I love the theme pretty much like everyone else, but I can't help feeling that the most important piece of music in (possibly) all 3 films hasn't been created by the master Composer himself ... Unsure

... unless of course, I'm missing something Crazy

'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Review

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Apr 23 2013, 11:46am

Post #2 of 10 (710 views)
Shortcut
The main melody is not composed by Shore, [In reply to] Can't Post

but all the arrangements is very typically Shore and is arranged by him Wink

Vocalist in the progressive metal band Renamed.

TheHutt
Gondor

Apr 23 2013, 1:03pm

Post #3 of 10 (657 views)
Shortcut
Misty Mountains is by "Plan 9" [In reply to] Can't Post

...the same guys who wrote the music for PJ's "Forgotten Silver" back in 1995. Smile

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

imin
Valinor

Apr 23 2013, 1:37pm

Post #4 of 10 (610 views)
Shortcut
Plan 9 [In reply to] Can't Post

So it was Plan 9 that made the main musical theme for the movie?

And Iluvatar spoke to Ulmo, and said: 'Seest thou not how here in this little realm in the Deeps of Time Melkor hath made war upon thy province? He hath bethought him of bitter cold immoderate, and yet hath not destroyed the beauty of thy fountains, nor of my clear pools. Behold the snow, and the cunning work of frost! Melkor hath devised heats and fire without restraint, and hath not dried up thy desire nor utterly quelled the music of the sea. Behold rather the height and glory of the clouds, and the everchanging mists; and listen to the fall of rain upon the Earth! And in these clouds thou art drawn nearer to Manwe, thy friend, whom thou lovest.

Arandir
Gondor

Apr 23 2013, 2:45pm

Post #5 of 10 (545 views)
Shortcut
I don't mind but [In reply to] Can't Post

knowing that one of the (if not the) best pieces of music in the whole film isn't actually by the one its supposed to be, nags be a bit Crazy

'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Review

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Apr 23 2013, 3:33pm

Post #6 of 10 (522 views)
Shortcut
I know, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

see it this way: It's originally a folklore song from the Dwarfs history and culture. And they decided (Shore included) instead of composing a new theme, to make that folklore dwarvish song into the main theme. It makes perfect sense.

Plan 9 do not composed the main theme, they composed the folklore song, and it was decided later to use it as the main theme. At least that's how I imagine all happened

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Apr 23 2013, 4:34pm

Post #7 of 10 (408 views)
Shortcut
That is how it happened // [In reply to] Can't Post

Vocalist in the progressive metal band Renamed.

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Apr 23 2013, 4:38pm

Post #8 of 10 (399 views)
Shortcut
I can't wait to hear (or read) the whole story about it! [In reply to] Can't Post

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 23 2013, 6:22pm

Post #9 of 10 (339 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, i'm looking forward to hearing how [In reply to] Can't Post

this particular piece of music came about, and how Howard Shore integrated it into his score. I know Shore had a hand in writing the music of some of the songs in the LotR movies, including Into the West, but not this time it seems.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Apr 23 2013, 11:47pm

Post #10 of 10 (281 views)
Shortcut
Fran Walsh [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that is right. Fran wrote the melody and Howard Shore worked his magic on it. Can't remember where I read that. My mind is like a sieve.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.