Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Favourite Tolkien quotations?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 23 2013, 6:21pm

Post #26 of 50 (241 views)
Shortcut
“Indeed if fish had fish-lore and Wise-fish,..." [In reply to] Can't Post

"...it is probable that the business of anglers would be very little hindered.”

True.

“Do not spoil the wonder with haste!”

Words to live by.

”Charge ‘em and they scatter.”

Tolkien on driving.

“You aren't nearly through this adventure yet.”

Hope so.

“Tell me, who are you, alone, yourself and nameless?”

Profound.

“Art moves them and they don't know what they've been moved by and they get quite drunk on it.”

Tolkien knows us Americans so well.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

squire
Valinor

Apr 23 2013, 6:23pm

Post #27 of 50 (208 views)
Shortcut
I like the one about the fish [In reply to] Can't Post

Where does it come from?

Nice to see you back!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

CuriousG
Valinor

Apr 23 2013, 6:36pm

Post #28 of 50 (191 views)
Shortcut
Good ones, and great to see you back, Darkstone. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 23 2013, 6:39pm

Post #29 of 50 (217 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, nice to be back. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Note 9" from the "Author's Notes on the 'Commentary'" from the Commentary on The Debate of Finrod and Andreth in HoME X, Morgoth's Ring.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

FarFromHome
Valinor

Apr 23 2013, 8:14pm

Post #30 of 50 (211 views)
Shortcut
Better late than never... [In reply to] Can't Post

Filbert-Brake
This compound word is baffling to me. The best I can make of it is “brake amidst the filberts”, i.e., a bracken or thicket of ferns around and under a woods of filbert or hazelnut trees. No literature I have found so far suggests these two plants associate often enough to have created a standard compound like “filbert-brake,” so I count this as a unique product of Tolkien’s wordcraft, pending correction.. – October 2005.

I couldn't resist revisiting that old discussion (one of the great ones!) and I noticed your comment about the "filbert-brake". So seven and a half years later, here goes...

Another meaning for "brake" is just as a general word for a "thicket" (given as a separate entry in my dictionary, not connected to bracken). A filbert-brake, then, would just be a thicket of filbert or hazel trees. Hazel was often coppiced in the past, i.e. regularly cut down to the ground and allowed to sprout again, giving a thick growth of new shoots, as shown here, and I wonder if this is what had been done in Ithilien when the woods were tended. Coincidentally (or not?) this would also make "filbert-brake" an exact equivalent for the "hazel thicket" that movie-Sam mentions in his "Do you remember the Shire?" speech on Mount Doom.

You've picked a great quotation here, squire, one of my favourites too. Although I would be tempted to include the bit about "dishevelled dryad loveliness", because I can't resist that little hint of Greek mythology - so wrong it's just right, somehow.

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

ltnjmy
Rivendell

Apr 23 2013, 8:40pm

Post #31 of 50 (192 views)
Shortcut
My Favorite Quotations from Professor Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What are your favourite Tolkien quotations?

There are so many because I am one of the all-time geeky fans, ever since childhood. In fact, Professor tolkien's beautiful words saved me during a very lonely childhood.

In the Simarillion (I never spell this correctly) - when Luthien lifted up her hand against the Hound of Morgoth and said "Oh woe begotten spirit, forget for a while thy dreadful doom of life" and he was felled - as if lightning struck him.

And all of Gandalf's words on the Bridge of Khazad Dum. . .

Just a few for now.Smile

(This post was edited by ltnjmy on Apr 23 2013, 8:42pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 23 2013, 9:43pm

Post #32 of 50 (171 views)
Shortcut
Thx! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice to see you!

Elwen
Lorien

Apr 23 2013, 11:08pm

Post #33 of 50 (164 views)
Shortcut
For me the big moment follows shortly after... [In reply to] Can't Post

"But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you if you touch him."

Maybe you were including that whole bit in your assessment, if so, apologies. Delicious is an excellent description for the language. For me as a fairly young girl reading those books for the first time, that moment of defiance and courage, and the following realization that this was a "girl" hero about to do something big in the most epic story I had ever read was probably one of the biggest moments of my young reading life.

Before kids, exercising with LOTR meant listening to the soundtrack while I ran.

After kids, exercising with LOTR means having an all out dance party with the little ones to the "Break the Dam Release the River" disco mix form the Lego game.

Elwen
Lorien

Apr 23 2013, 11:10pm

Post #34 of 50 (153 views)
Shortcut
Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt. We do not. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Before kids, exercising with LOTR meant listening to the soundtrack while I ran.

After kids, exercising with LOTR means having an all out dance party with the little ones to the "Break the Dam Release the River" disco mix form the Lego game.

CuriousG
Valinor

Apr 23 2013, 11:11pm

Post #35 of 50 (153 views)
Shortcut
I never get tired of reading those "delicious," powerful words. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Morthoron
Gondor

Apr 23 2013, 11:37pm

Post #36 of 50 (158 views)
Shortcut
From the Gaffer.... [In reply to] Can't Post

"What's come of his weskit? I don't hold with wearing ironmongery, whether it wears well or no."

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 24 2013, 1:13am

Post #37 of 50 (143 views)
Shortcut
“[Beowulf] is a man, and that for him and many is sufficient tragedy.” // [In reply to] Can't Post

sador
Half-elven

Apr 24 2013, 6:26am

Post #38 of 50 (142 views)
Shortcut
Psst SirDennis... [In reply to] Can't Post

geordie posted the same quote upthread.

sador
Half-elven

Apr 24 2013, 7:03am

Post #39 of 50 (152 views)
Shortcut
Some of my favourite quotes [In reply to] Can't Post

I have listed here. (there are also some allsuions to the LotR movies in that post)

However, that thread included only quotes from The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit; I'll add one from The Silmarillion:
Now rumour came to the camp in Hithlum of the march of Fingolfin and those that followed him, who had crossed the Grinding Ice; and all the world lay then in wonder at the coming of the Moon. But as the host of Fingolfin marched into Mithrim the Sun rose flaming in the West; and Fingolfin unfurled his blue and silver banners, and blew his horns, and flowers sprang beneath his marching feet, and the ages of the stars were ended.
- The Return of the Noldor.

FarFromHome
Valinor

Apr 24 2013, 8:59am

Post #40 of 50 (152 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of fish... [In reply to] Can't Post

Give a person a fish and he eats for one day. Teach a person to fish and he finds the One Ring, burrows under the Misty Mountains, and eats for the rest of his life.

(Darkstone, footer 2004)

Nice to see you again, stranger!

Smile

deep and unstilled,

FarFromHome
Valinor

Apr 24 2013, 9:10am

Post #41 of 50 (136 views)
Shortcut
On Fairy-stories [In reply to] Can't Post

is one of my favourites of Tokien's writings, and I love this bit - especially the image in the second paragraph, although it needs the first paragraph to set it up:
Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention, perceiving their likeness and unlikeness: that they are faces, and yet unique faces. This triteness is really the penalty of “appropriation”: the things that are trite, or (in a bad sense) familiar, are the things that we have appropriated, legally or mentally. We say we know them. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them...

Creative fantasy... may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you.

deep and unstilled,

sador
Half-elven

Apr 24 2013, 9:30am

Post #42 of 50 (123 views)
Shortcut
You call that "a life"? Meh. // [In reply to] Can't Post

squire
Valinor

Apr 24 2013, 10:27am

Post #43 of 50 (159 views)
Shortcut
I feel better now [In reply to] Can't Post

And it only took seven and a half years for the pending correction to appear!

Thanks, and I'll leave your naughty glee at "disheveled dryad loveliness" alone for now, as I too love it. Elsewhere in the discussion you just referred to, we barely opened the box I brought to the party, with Hatster putting in an excellent beginning. I've since defended the phrase far more vigorously but right now there is no room on this margin for my proof - or rather, no time.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 24 2013, 2:55pm

Post #44 of 50 (127 views)
Shortcut
Yeah. [In reply to] Can't Post

Alternatively, "It eats at him for the rest of his life."

Nice to see you!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 24 2013, 8:44pm

Post #45 of 50 (119 views)
Shortcut
Serves me right for trying to be profound on the fly [In reply to] Can't Post

still, it is my great honour to learn that Geordie likes the same quote as me.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 24 2013, 9:18pm

Post #46 of 50 (126 views)
Shortcut
Some sayings of Galadriel at Lothlórien [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that I've taken the time to actually read the entire thread (thanks Sador, sorry Geordie) I may lightly share some words spoken by Lady Galadriel during the Fellowship's respite:

"Needless were none of the deeds of Gandalf in life."

"Do not repent of your welcome to the Dwarf. If our folk had been exiled long and far from Lothlórien, who of the Galadhrim, even Celeborn the Wise, would pass nigh and would not wish to look upon their ancient home, though it had become an abode of Dragons."

"... your quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little and it will fail, to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains while all the Company is true."

"Do not let your hearts be troubled... Tonight you shall sleep in peace."

And just a bit of exposition from thereabouts:

"... and it seemed to [Gimli] that he looked into the heart of an enemy and saw there love and understanding."

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Apr 25 2013, 6:10pm

Post #47 of 50 (104 views)
Shortcut
My favourites [In reply to] Can't Post

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all who wander are lost."

"What do you mean, good morning? Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not, or that you feel good this morning, or that it is a morning to be good on?"

"The time of my thought is my own to spend."

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us".-This is without doubt my absolute favourite.

"That's better, but don't let your imagination run away with you"

"He wondered what the man's name was and where he came from; and if he really was evil at heart, or what lies or threats had led him on the long march from his home; and if he would not really rather have stayed there in peace-"

"True courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one."

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Apr 25 2013, 9:57pm

Post #48 of 50 (95 views)
Shortcut
Quotes that speak to the heart [In reply to] Can't Post

These are more quotes rather than quotations, and I've already posted some of my favorites earlier in this thread; but there are several quotes that really speak to my heart- and have stayed with me for years-and give me goosebumps every time I read them.

"Don't you know my name yet? That's the only answer. Tell me, who are you alone, yourself and nameless? But you are young and I am old.
Eldest, that's what I am. Mark my words, my friends: Tom was here before the river and the trees; Tom remembers the first raindrop and the
first acorn. He made paths before the Big People, and saw the little People arriving. He was here before the Kings and the graves and the
Barrow-wights. When the Elves passed westward, Tom was here already, before the seas were bent. He knew the dark under the stars when it
was fearless - before the Dark Lord came from Outside." The Fellowship of the Ring, In the House of Tom Bombadil.

"A thing is about to happen which has not happened since the Elder Days: the Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong." The Two Towers, The White Rider.

"So passed the sword of the Barrow-downs, work of the Westernesse. But glad would he have been to know its fate who wrought it slowly
long ago in the North-kingdom when the Dunedain were young, and chief among their foes was the dread realm of Angmar and its sorcerer
king. No other blade, not though mightier hands had wielded it, would have dealt that foe a wound so bitter, cleaving the undead flesh,
breaking the spell that knit his unseen sinews to his will." The Return of the King, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

"...'For I will sing to you of Frodo of the Nine Fingers and the Ring of Doom.' And when Sam heard that he laughed aloud for sheer delight, and he stood up and cried: 'O great glory and splendour! And all my wishes have come true!' And then he wept.
And all the host laughed and wept, and in the midst of their merriment and tears the clear voice of the minstrel rose like silver and gold, and all men were hushed. And he sang to them, now in the Elven tongue, now in the speech of the West, until their hearts, wounded with sweet words, overflowed, and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness." The Return of the King, The Field of Cormallen.

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

elaen32
Gondor

Apr 26 2013, 3:33pm

Post #49 of 50 (68 views)
Shortcut
I like all of these [In reply to] Can't Post

but particularly the last one. The Filed of Cormallen is just one scene I wish they could have had in the movie (though I understand why they didn't) and I sometimes have a tear in my eye along with Sam on reading this passage
Specific quotes I find difficult to choose, because there are so many great ones, but some favourites include

"And long there he lay, an image of the splendour of the Kings of Men in glory undimmed before the breaking of the world" (Tale of Aragorn & Arwen- Appendices LOTR)

"In sorrow we must go, but not in despair. Behold! we are not bound for ever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." (as above)

"...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise." ( "The Grey Havens" ROTK)

Oh dear, I must be in a rather melancholy, contemplative frame of mind this afternoon, but I do think these three quotes are particularly beautiful I'll have to come back with some more cheerful ones later!

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

elaen32
Gondor

Apr 26 2013, 4:59pm

Post #50 of 50 (85 views)
Shortcut
And a forgettful mode too- [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my favourite quote is, of course, the one I've chosen below in my signature- just because I have always loved trees and woodlands. I have always felt trees to be sentient in some way and like to think of them dreaming. This line comes from one of Treebeard's poems- I haven't got the book handy, but I think it's the one in which he is mourning the loss of the Entwives- "Come back to me, Come back to me and say my land is best!"

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.