Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
To Golg, or not to Golg:that is the question.

axecrazy
Rivendell

Apr 22 2013, 11:09am

Post #1 of 10 (675 views)
Shortcut
To Golg, or not to Golg:that is the question. Can't Post

:) This is really a discussion thread for Lio and I for something I pointed out during a chat on Twitter last night. Twitter is no good for proper discussion. It's a small point really. Golg... Azog's first line in AUJ. It's not subtitled because Balin is narrating the Battle of Azanulbizar and of course his dialogue takes precedence. But it is the first coherent word uttered by Azog....okay, more like growled out, but whatever.

Lio thinks it's 'Gorg', while I think it's 'Golg'. Yeah, we're weird about stuff like this. Never mind us.

Azog: Defiling since 2790

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2013, 4:15pm

Post #2 of 10 (272 views)
Shortcut
It definitely sounded like "Gorg" to me... [In reply to] Can't Post

Which funnily, would mean Azog confused Thror for this:

They are vaguely similar, actually...could this whole Orc/Dwarf blood-feud thing come from a big misunderstanding?

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Apr 22 2013, 4:16pm)

Lio
Lorien

Apr 23 2013, 12:07am

Post #3 of 10 (167 views)
Shortcut
I heard my name XD [In reply to] Can't Post

Lio, that is. Not Golg. Or Gorg.

Anyway I still do believe "Gorg" sounds more like what he says. In fact I'm fairly sure "Golg" means "Elf" in the Orkish language used by Azog and company. (Although I wouldn't put it past him to go around name-calling Dwarves as Elves, knowing how much the two races love each other. Tongue Yeah, Azog is a troll like that.) Anyway, I guess the next thing will be to figure out will be what "Gorg" actually means.

Oh by the way, I can't believe I never mentioned this before but your signature rocks. Laugh

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

Lio
Lorien

Apr 23 2013, 12:13am

Post #4 of 10 (164 views)
Shortcut
Vaguely similar? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can hardly tell the difference! Just stick a crown on his head, put some bling in his beard, write Azog's name on his brow and you've got King Thror right there!

I think you're on to something with the Orc and Dwarf wars being a tragic misunderstanding. Frown

Orcs are mammals!

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 23 2013, 4:08am

Post #5 of 10 (147 views)
Shortcut
AAAAAAAhahahhaahaahaaaaaa! [In reply to] Can't Post

Excellent!

In Reply To
Which funnily, would mean Azog confused Thror for this:

They are vaguely similar, actually...could this whole Orc/Dwarf blood-feud thing come from a big misunderstanding?

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Apr 23 2013, 6:41am

Post #6 of 10 (154 views)
Shortcut
Almost... "Golog" means Elf in Black Speech, but more specifically, a Noldo. // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Avatar: Elwing by art-nouveau-club on DeviantArt

axecrazy
Rivendell

Apr 23 2013, 2:38pm

Post #7 of 10 (129 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the compliment about my signature. That was the first Azog slogan I came up with. Plenty more where that came from. Ah, I'm going to be honest, I don't really care about Golg vs Gorg. Either one is fine by me. I just came back so I can say something without the ridiculous Twitter character limit. Tongue

Anyway, I'll stick the blu-ray in tonight and turn up the volume.....see if it really is 'Gorg'. You can do the linguistics and keep me updated if you like. For me, it will always be Golg, though. Tongue

Azog: Defiling since 2790

Lio
Lorien

Apr 23 2013, 11:48pm

Post #8 of 10 (103 views)
Shortcut
Orkish versus Black Speech in AUJ (Geeky language speculation warning!) [In reply to] Can't Post

If I remember correctly, "Golug" was an Orkish word whose origins date back to the First Age. Like you said it signifies a Noldo. From this I infer (although I don't think it's stated anywhere explicitly) that "Golug-hai" is what the Noldor (or perhaps Elves in general) would be called in Black Speech.

However the language used by Azog and his Orcs is somewhat different. They do refer to the Elves once and I'm fairly sure that the word used is "Golgai". To me it sounds like a corruption of "Golug-hai", thus "Golg" would mean Elf in this tongue. The latter is just my speculation, of course, but I think it's reasonable enough for me to be fairly certain that's how it is. Wink

Orcs are mammals!

Lio
Lorien

Apr 23 2013, 11:57pm

Post #9 of 10 (98 views)
Shortcut
It is a cool slogan! [In reply to] Can't Post

For some reason I can totally see it on one of those seal of quality type things, with the words surrounding Azog's head in the middle. Laugh Hmm, that might be a good idea for fanart.

Anway, let me know what you find when you rewatch the scene. By now I'm fairly certain that it is "Gorg", but it's good to get other people's opinions to see if we're all hearing the same thing. Smile

Orcs are mammals!

cats16
Valinor

Apr 24 2013, 12:59am

Post #10 of 10 (122 views)
Shortcut
The first time I heard it [In reply to] Can't Post

I heard a weird pronunciation of "Thror" that didn't sound quite right. I figured that orcs have troubles with rolling their "r's", like some of our favorite hobbits at times Tongue

I wasn't convinced, but I moved on from it. And then this thread made me think of it againSmile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.