Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Desolation of Smaug production videos - So what's the plan?

tripecac
Rivendell

Apr 21 2013, 8:58pm

Post #1 of 23 (1619 views)
Shortcut
Desolation of Smaug production videos - So what's the plan? Can't Post

We've got about 8 months until DoS opens, and so far we haven't seen any production videos.

I'd be very surprised that we'll see 10 videos in 8 months. Not only would the pace be unprecedented, but it's hard to imagine that there would be enough content for 10 similar in length to those for the first movie.

So I am wondering: will they forgo all production videos from now on? We will we have to content ourselves with trailers and occasional "sneak peaks" or "behind the scenes" reels as December approaches?

And, if there are no production diaries, or at least only a small handful of them, then what will go on the DoS theatrical DVDs/Blu-Rays?

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 21 2013, 9:05pm

Post #2 of 23 (874 views)
Shortcut
I believe PJ mentioned there would be more [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course, it's been quite a while since we last saw one, but until I hear otherwise, I'm expecting to see some more. I don't see why there wouldn't be enough content - I'm sure the behind-the-scenes filming continued all throughout production.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall. As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last. For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive." -Arwen

tripecac
Rivendell

Apr 21 2013, 9:12pm

Post #3 of 23 (826 views)
Shortcut
not enough content [In reply to] Can't Post

The first movie's production diaries focused a lot on location filming, technology, and the whole "returning to middle earth" theme.

There hasn't been much (or any) location filming in a long time, so I'd be surprised (but pleased) if they revisit it.

I don't think we need more info about 3d filming techniques, cameras, data uploads, etc.

As for the "Return to Middle Earth", well, we've been there, done that.

So what else could be shown? To me, it just seems like it would be details about sets and actors exclusive to the second movie. It's hard to imagine 10 videos about Mirkwood and Lake Town which don't go into spoiler-level detail.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 21 2013, 9:19pm

Post #4 of 23 (741 views)
Shortcut
to heck with production videos, i want a trailer! [In reply to] Can't Post

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 21 2013, 9:24pm

Post #5 of 23 (785 views)
Shortcut
Content available [In reply to] Can't Post

We didn't see all of their location filming in the old vlogs. We only saw what was (at that time) intended for AUJ. Now, I don't expect another 10 vlogs, but three or four wouldn't be bad.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall. As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last. For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive." -Arwen

paperC
Rivendell

Apr 21 2013, 10:38pm

Post #6 of 23 (654 views)
Shortcut
Probably one on the making of the trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember one for King Kong, was kind of cool.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 21 2013, 10:42pm

Post #7 of 23 (669 views)
Shortcut
I'm kind of expecting the same, [In reply to] Can't Post

but as tripecac said, what are the dvd/blu-ray special features going to be? Surely not the Sneak Peek. I was fine with getting the Production Diaries with AUJ, as they are chock full of information, and it was great to finally see them in hd, and un-blurred. But the Sneak Peek wasn't exactly brimming with information.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Apr 21 2013, 10:45pm)

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Apr 21 2013, 11:04pm

Post #8 of 23 (628 views)
Shortcut
well in a way we got a first one even if it was limited release [In reply to] Can't Post

the sneak peak was probably what we should consider the first production Blog for DOS. Only problem with that is it was only released in the US as far as I know at that time. I do think the edited one is available to everyone at this point ( I might be wrong on that) but as far as an official Vlog I haven't heard anything.

StoneHex104
Rivendell

Apr 21 2013, 11:47pm

Post #9 of 23 (630 views)
Shortcut
Don't forget the Sneak Peek, it showed plenty of footage ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Kimtc
Rohan

Apr 22 2013, 12:28am

Post #10 of 23 (601 views)
Shortcut
Maybe these ones could focus more on the new characters [In reply to] Can't Post

They could be more heavy on the Thranduil, Bard, and Beorn, and I guess Tauriel. Since the elves are a bigger active presence in this movie, maybe more about elf movement, design, etc. And I would be interested in how they handled the size differential with Beorn and the dwarves.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2013, 1:34am

Post #11 of 23 (566 views)
Shortcut
yes, i'm pretty sure there will be some new major characters [In reply to] Can't Post

Bard for sure, that character seems to be beefed up. I heard PJ fell in love with Beorn and there is much more of him now in the films.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

tripecac
Rivendell

Apr 22 2013, 1:39am

Post #12 of 23 (567 views)
Shortcut
How many new characters though? [In reply to] Can't Post

How many new characters are introduced in DoS compared to AUJ?

Beorn, Thranduil, Bard, Master of Laketown, Tauriel, Lego... That's still a tiny handful compared to the number of characters [re]introduced in AUJ. I can't imagine having the new ones take up much time in production diaries.

Of course, it's not like PJ and crew haven't stretched things out before. :)

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Apr 22 2013, 6:45am

Post #13 of 23 (481 views)
Shortcut
Fell in love with beorn>??? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's great news, considering he's the one who is there for the dwarves in the end ( no specifics) i seriously think that Beorn is one tru badass and for PJ to think he is swell, is well AWESOME.The more Beorn the better ,Bring on Beorn.I've always thought he is great for the cinematic world and it seems PJ agrees.

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

(This post was edited by Thorins_apprentice on Apr 22 2013, 6:50am)

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2013, 6:52am

Post #14 of 23 (457 views)
Shortcut
yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

reports are that PJ is bringing the actor who plays Beorn back for additional filming in may!

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 22 2013, 8:42am

Post #15 of 23 (430 views)
Shortcut
And it was an hour long! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's equivalent to 6 of the AUJ production videos!

Padfoot
Bree

Apr 22 2013, 8:49am

Post #16 of 23 (438 views)
Shortcut
Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds good to me. Persbrandt is a fantastic actor, and I always loved Beorn's character. So if PJ fell in love with him, that's fine with me.

As for video blogs, it'd be nice to see a couple more. But I'd also love a trailer!

signature by kiteflier with kind permission of http://richardarmitagenet.com

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2013, 1:20pm

Post #17 of 23 (347 views)
Shortcut
But it barely had the information [In reply to] Can't Post

of one Production Diary.

tripecac
Rivendell

Apr 22 2013, 4:20pm

Post #18 of 23 (308 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

The sneak peak had a novelty factor, but not a whole lot of information (or polish). Unlike the production diaries, I've had no desire to re-watch the sneak peak... except for the DoS clip at the end, and that was only once or twice.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2013, 4:44pm

Post #19 of 23 (295 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, i enjoyed the sneak peek, [In reply to] Can't Post

and it was fun, but there wasn't much there until the very end, save for a couple of concept art pieces. And i really liked the 'High Fells' clip, even though it plays a little fast and loose with the mythology (which i don't mind too much if there's a good reason behind it and it's done well *fingers crossed*).

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 22 2013, 8:38pm

Post #20 of 23 (254 views)
Shortcut
DOS special features [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure I have no idea what they'll do for those. It's truly the least of my worries right now. I think the vlogs are excellent, but I think it was pretty lame to put them on the DVD as the bonus material and nothing else.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Apr 23 2013, 12:56am

Post #21 of 23 (218 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the vlogs are excellent, but I think it was pretty lame to put them on the DVD as the bonus material and nothing else.

Talk about a let down, with LOTR that was one of the things I looked forward to just as much as the film was the extra stuff and then AUJ hit dvd /blueray where was the bonus content? were they so busy trying to get Azog done at the 11th hour they couldn't do any or what? Hopefully the EE will have some great behind the scenes stuff we haven't seen a hundred times already.

imin
Valinor

Apr 23 2013, 12:21pm

Post #22 of 23 (179 views)
Shortcut
It was kinda lame [In reply to] Can't Post

But then it was awesome they made them for free to the public in the first place - had they not done that and the vlogs were only watchable if you bought the dvd then they would seem great, lol.

I think there will be much more bonus material for the EE's to keep everyone happy Smile

And Iluvatar spoke to Ulmo, and said: 'Seest thou not how here in this little realm in the Deeps of Time Melkor hath made war upon thy province? He hath bethought him of bitter cold immoderate, and yet hath not destroyed the beauty of thy fountains, nor of my clear pools. Behold the snow, and the cunning work of frost! Melkor hath devised heats and fire without restraint, and hath not dried up thy desire nor utterly quelled the music of the sea. Behold rather the height and glory of the clouds, and the everchanging mists; and listen to the fall of rain upon the Earth! And in these clouds thou art drawn nearer to Manwe, thy friend, whom thou lovest.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 23 2013, 4:19pm

Post #23 of 23 (202 views)
Shortcut
Let me just say [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the vlogs are excellent behind-the-scenes videos. My problem is that they were recycled onto the DVD. If they'd been solely made for the DVD I would think they're awesome. But since they're already available for free online, putting them on the DVD basically sealed the deal that I wouldn't buy it.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.