Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Balin in the Dungeon
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 20 2013, 10:55pm

Post #26 of 34 (218 views)
Shortcut
Extended role? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never really understood this argument. She's in a grand total of like 25 minutes (if that) of the entire 12-hour trilogy. Now, one may not enjoy what that role entailed, but the extended role dislike is something I've never gotten.

BTW, your link doesn't work! I need to see whatever picture that is! CrazyTongue

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall. As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last. For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive." -Arwen

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 20 2013, 10:56pm

Post #27 of 34 (208 views)
Shortcut
Liv is Arwen [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no other mental picture of Arwen than Liv. I think she just perfectly captured everything I wanted her to.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall. As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last. For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive." -Arwen

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 20 2013, 11:03pm

Post #28 of 34 (222 views)
Shortcut
I imagine it's more about the fact she replaced Glorfindel [In reply to] Can't Post

And was scattered throughout all three films, whereas she only had a very minute role in the books.

It's this image I am trying to link to. Probably a hotlinking issue in the other one.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 21 2013, 12:00am

Post #29 of 34 (196 views)
Shortcut
Arwen vs. Glorfindel [In reply to] Can't Post

You know, I enjoy Glorfiendel in the book, especially since I'm of the opinion that he's the same one that died in the Silmarillion. But I don't think replacing his very minor role in the book with a character more important to the story.

She has two scenes in FOTR which is the same as the book: mention at the feast and seen with Aragorn in the Hall of Fire. In TTT, you can't let the audience forget about her, and her three scenes take very little time (and one comes right from the appendices). Then in ROTK, she's in 3 scenes again (I guess 4 if you could the few glimpses of her in Aragorn's dream). And these are basically her parting with Elrond (or it's equivalent) and her plan to send the standard (or Narsil) to Aragorn. Then, of course, she's seen at the end like in the book. So very similar if you ask me.

Um, that picture of her is great Blush

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Apr 21 2013, 12:03am

Post #30 of 34 (194 views)
Shortcut
Now DanielLB [In reply to] Can't Post

you know very well that no one can replace Glorfindel and that the #Witch King could never brak Gandalf's staff.Evil

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Apr 21 2013, 1:46am

Post #31 of 34 (200 views)
Shortcut
So there is no Legolas-Tauriel romance? [In reply to] Can't Post

That is for sure? Glad to hear it. It would totally screw up with the continuity.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 21 2013, 3:12am

Post #32 of 34 (176 views)
Shortcut
It's confirmed. [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ confirmed there would be no romance between them when he announced Evangeline Lilly's casting.

Smeagol Bagginsess
Rivendell

Apr 21 2013, 9:35am

Post #33 of 34 (123 views)
Shortcut
I have nothing against the extended role [In reply to] Can't Post

I have nothing against it. Though I like Glorfindel a lot from the books, Arwen replacing him really didn't irritate me. After all he has only one scene in the whole book.

I just don't like her acting, and obviously that's my POV. Thanks Ardamire for not firing up(though you did counted down) Tongue
Thanking because I've seen people getting heated up for war on such topics. Wink

Since I've read the books first, I don't "see" the movie-faces when I read the books. The only ones I connect to the movie while reading are Gandalf, Gollum, Sam, Boromir, Theoden and Galadriel.

Just to tell you guys a bit about me, I am not what most call a hardcore purist, although I may appear so. I do love changes if they remain true to Tolkien's themes. But drastic changes like changing Faramir's character or the Sam-Frodo quarrel at Cirith-Ungol are the ones I really dislike.

I am the Grandson of Samwise Gamgee. My grandpa loved Frodo uncle and Frodo uncle loved his pet, Smeagol. So I am named Smeagol Bagginsess! Ain't I cute?

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 21 2013, 5:35pm

Post #34 of 34 (106 views)
Shortcut
Books vs. movies [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I am becoming more of a book purist in general, because the last few book-to-film adaptations I've seen have left me underwhelmed. I think, though, that it depends on the type and execution of the changes, but I guess that's probably true for everyone. We all have our preferences of what we'd like to see from an adaptation.

I generally don't "see" movie-faces, either, but I also don't normally "see" characters in great detail when reading anyway. I mostly just get a vague impression.

I totally understand that that's your opinion about Arwen. I just wanted to say why I really enjoyed her acting Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.