Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
There's an official movie blog!

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Dec 19 2007, 4:49am

Post #1 of 11 (460 views)
Shortcut
There's an official movie blog! Can't Post

The Hobbit Blog

I didn't know if this was legit, but I did a WhoIs lookup and it gave me this:
Registrant:
New Line Cinema
(DOM-1725839)
888 7th Avenue
New York
NY
US

Domain Name: thehobbitblog.com

Registrar Name: Markmonitor.com
Registrar Whois: whois.markmonitor.com
Registrar Homepage: http://www.markmonitor.com

Administrative Contact:
Domain Admin
(NIC-14531741)
New Line Cinema
888 7th Avenue
New York
NY
US
kimberly.baldwin@newline.com
+1.2126496155
Fax- -
Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
Domain Tech
(NIC-14519345)
New Line Cinema
888 7th Avenue
New York
NY
US
louis.luca@newline.com
+1.2126494866
Fax- -

Created on..............: 2007-Dec-15.
Expires on..............: 2009-Dec-15.
Record last updated on..: 2007-Dec-15 04:16:59.

Domain servers in listed order:

TWDNS-01.NS.AOL.COM
TWDNS-02.NS.AOL.COM
TWDNS-03.NS.AOL.COM
TWDNS-04.NS.AOL.COM

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2007, 5:09am

Post #2 of 11 (181 views)
Shortcut
It looks legit [In reply to] Can't Post

From that search, at the least. It's beyond me, in any case.

If they happen to start posting news as fast, or even faster, than TORn, then I will definitely start to believe it. Or if they give some sort of announcement on their site (which I have not yet looked for).

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 19 2007, 5:12am

Post #3 of 11 (215 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

Xo actually linked to it in the first announcement he posted this a.m. Smile (It's way at the bottom of the story).

It's definitely New Line; much the same concept as the Official Movie Site for the LOTR movies.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

(This post was edited by Altaira on Dec 19 2007, 5:34am)

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Dec 19 2007, 5:29am

Post #4 of 11 (179 views)
Shortcut
Definitely is New Line Corporation [In reply to] Can't Post

They want to own all the LOTR news that is fit to print.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Dec 19 2007, 10:52am

Post #5 of 11 (137 views)
Shortcut
Oh! Duh. How'd I miss that? Sorry. /NT [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 19 2007, 10:55am

Post #6 of 11 (160 views)
Shortcut
OH! My heart actually just fluttered :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

My JRRT Map Moot Report

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 19 2007, 11:30am

Post #7 of 11 (158 views)
Shortcut
Well, this says a lot. [In reply to] Can't Post

What made LOTR so exciting in TORN's Elder Days was spontaneous things like Harry Knowles hanging out on the set with Peter and co and yes, this loose climate resulting in the evolution of TORN! When Peter Jackson wanted to answer his "20 Questions" segements on AICN, it wasn't filtered by The Suits. At least as far as I know.

This is a desperate, cash-strapped corporation clamping down and taking control. Sending a message to the fans, and us in particular, that from now on, we will be spoon-fed whatever The Suits want us to see. And PJ will not be "involved." There will be none of what made TORN what it was..none of the freewheeling atmopshere.

We, the fans, are being made into passive motes now. This is payback for hwat we tried to do a year ago. We are being sent a message.

The only thing worse than a faceless corporation sucking the life out of your story is a cash-strapped and desperate studio determined not to rock the boat and being a bunch of control freaks, Get used to be reduced in imprtance and being another cog in The Machine--like any other website.

Am I crazy? A conspiracy theorist? Watch what plays out over the next few months, folks. I have hunches and none are any good....

To think that Lovely Bones just wrapped, and only Tintin (which he didn't even commit to until the summer?) is the only thing keeping him from directing....

SandWitch King
Rohan

Dec 19 2007, 4:38pm

Post #8 of 11 (135 views)
Shortcut
Well said [In reply to] Can't Post

An astute view of the movie business. Well said.

I wish my name was "Barrow Wong". Maybe I should change it. And now for my quote:

"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure. Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official testing record, followed by death. Good luck."

BuckyUnderbelly
Lorien

Dec 19 2007, 10:12pm

Post #9 of 11 (113 views)
Shortcut
I know what you mean ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but I don't think things at New Line are quite that sinister. At least not consciously.

Desperate and somewhat clueless, yes, but not sinister.

The way I see it, NL's highly-paid Marketing Executives were probably really surprised by how fervently the Internet community hopped aboard their bandwagon back when this whole LOTR thing started. It was lightning in a bottle as far as they were concerned. A lot of lightning. In a big bottle. I'm sure those highly-paid Marketing Executives were absolutely thrilled that there was such a big audience out there that was so passionate about the material and so emotionally invested in their films. They were no doubt thrilled and excited that an army of what amounted to unpaid volunteers were essentially advertising the hell out of their movies -- for free.

My guess is, this time around, the Honchos and Big-Wigs at NL looked around the room at some board meeting or other and said to those same highly paid Marketing Executives: "Hey, let's have that Internet thing happen again."

(Actually I'd bet real money the words "interactive," "connectivity," "new media strategy," "platforming" and "Internet solutions" were used. Lordy, I loathe jargon!)

Anyhow, those same highly-paid Marketing Executives (still looking a little sheepish from being outshined by that army of unpaid volunteers from the last go-round) then decide they need to be more "proactive" about their on-line strategies. Which means, essentially, that they're going to essentially copy what's already out there in order to look as though they know what they're doing. In order to justify their paychecks.

So instead of doing things the right way, by simply going back to the existing fan community and engaging them directly, they try to build their own "blog" -- a term the Marketing Executives no doubt learned from their kids.

(Slightly off-topic ... but the notion of a blog being run by the studio is also somewhat puzzling to me. Wasn't the whole idea of the "blog" originally supposed to be for independent, unaffiliated, everyday people to get a chance to have their voices heard? Not big companies or entrenched institutions, but work-a-day folks? So how is it that a company like New Line can start its own blog? Shouldn't that, instead, be considered an official movie website? Doesn't corporate ownership defeat the whole purpose and definition of "blogging"?)

(Of course I also suppose that makes about as much sense as an "indie" production company being owned by a giant, multi-national media conglomerate. Like ... I don't know ... New Line being owned by Time Warner. Doesn't seem very "indie" now does it.)

Anyhow, back on topic ...

In the end, I don't think this is a case of New Line trying to clamp the lid down on free speech or anything quite so sinister. But I do think it's kind of a weak attempt to mimic what we've already accomplished for them. It's an attempt by a studio to try to figure out how to make the Internet work for them. But in a way they can take credit for.

I don't think it's solely a function of desperation -- though that could certainly be a factor in NL's case -- because all the studios have been trying (and mostly failing) to figure out how to use the Internet. Ever since the Blair Witch Project internet hub-bub threw the whole movie industry for a loop. Hollywood just doesn't "get" the Internet. They know that there's money to be made there ... but they can't wrap their heads around it. Every time they think they have it figured out ... it changes. So what do they do? They copy what they've seen work before. (Which is a very Hollywood model. Just look at the flood of remakes and sequels we've seen in recent years.)

I don't see NL as being like Nixon in the later years -- sweaty and paranoid and desperate to have absolute control over every scrap of information. Because you're going to see plenty of material on fan sites. You're going to see interviews, production videos and set visits pop up online. Sites like AICN and TORn aren't going anywhere and NL knows that. They'll play ball. These fan sites are part of "the business" now. They're a real thing that studios have to deal with. Plus, Peter Jackson is going to do what Peter Jackson wants to do. If he feels like talking to the fans directly, he's going to. He may seem all cute and fuzzy, but he's a hugely powerful force in the industry. He's an 800-lb gorilla in Hollywood and NL knows they need his complete cooperation. I seriously doubt they'll try to push him around or control him when it comes to publicity.

In the end, the only thing that's really happening here is that NL is trying to copy TORn with their Hobbit Blog. But they'll soon see that it's not necessary (or possible). At the end of the day, TORn will still be the coolest place on earth and the Hobbit Blog will simply be their official movie site.

Just like it is now!

"In Hollywood the screenplay is a fire hydrant. And there's a line of dogs around the block." -- Frank Miller

SandWitch King
Rohan

Dec 20 2007, 1:04am

Post #10 of 11 (100 views)
Shortcut
A very fine post {NT} [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish my name was "Barrow Wong". Maybe I should change it. And now for my quote:

"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure. Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official testing record, followed by death. Good luck."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 20 2007, 9:34am

Post #11 of 11 (113 views)
Shortcut
*applause!* [In reply to] Can't Post

That was a fun read! I absolutely agree with you on NL's attempts here. They know that it was the power of the public that made those films a success... as much as other films have not done so well ;)

The whole time I was reading your description of their attempts as using the internet, I kept chuckling and saying to myself, "Geez guys, Peter already knows all about that! Let him and us do our thing!"

I really enjoyed your post. A calm, sensible voice in a storm of voices :)

Thank you!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

My JRRT Map Moot Report

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.