Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Ravenhill

Guillaume
The Shire

Apr 17 2013, 5:19am

Post #1 of 14 (1038 views)
Shortcut
Ravenhill Can't Post

I've been looking for a thread in which to post this subject which i can't seem to find anymore. Anyways, has anyone noticed the tower on Ravenhill during the Dwarve's escape from Erebor? I wondered what it was at first until i figured it was inevitably Ravenhill on the southern end of the Lonely Mountain. Slight detail: there is a great raven head sculpted on the left of the tower, 7:37 during the movie if some are curious...

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Apr 17 2013, 11:36am

Post #2 of 14 (388 views)
Shortcut
I noticed that too! [In reply to] Can't Post

And had meant to post about it but hadn't yet. Great observation. I too figured that had to be Ravenhill: it's in the right place, and more or less matches the description in the book. So exciting to think we'll be getting to know that place quite a bit better in probably both upcoming movies. I hadn't noticed the raven head sculpting: great detail! The attention to detail by PJ & Co is absolutely fantastic.

And by the way, welcome to TORn! Hope you enjoy yourself here. Smile

dik-dik
Lorien

Apr 17 2013, 11:41am

Post #3 of 14 (377 views)
Shortcut
Re: [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for that observation Guillaume, I never noticed. I find the design art enormously interesting in the Middle-earth movies, so I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it when I see it on DVD.
I wonder if the Raven Hill is going to have the same significance as in the book later in the story, or perhaps even greater. Since they apparently took a lot of care with the special design, I suspect the importance of Raven Hill may be expanded. Especially the tower sounds like a candidate for en epic destruction by Smaug or during the Battle.

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

Subaruman
Bree

Apr 17 2013, 1:01pm

Post #4 of 14 (427 views)
Shortcut
screenshot: [In reply to] Can't Post

http://gallicka.com/...00523&fullsize=1

"Here is a book very unsuitable for dramatic or semi-dramatic representation. If that is attempted, it needs more space, a lot of space."

- J.R.R. Tolkien, 1956

RaoulJ
Rivendell

Apr 17 2013, 3:41pm

Post #5 of 14 (385 views)
Shortcut
Better Screencap [In reply to] Can't Post

http://postimg.org/image/3k6fi0k45/full/

(This post was edited by RaoulJ on Apr 17 2013, 3:43pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 17 2013, 4:38pm

Post #6 of 14 (285 views)
Shortcut
Great catch [In reply to] Can't Post

Will look for it. Good job!!!! Smile

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

moonrunes
The Shire

Apr 17 2013, 5:40pm

Post #7 of 14 (297 views)
Shortcut
Here is a post [In reply to] Can't Post

that I had made previously that talks about it. It came to my mind tooSmile. http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_threaded;post=563172

(This post was edited by moonrunes on Apr 17 2013, 5:42pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 17 2013, 8:20pm

Post #8 of 14 (257 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure I've even ever paid any attention to the building before [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always been looking at Thranduil and co.

It's certainly a very good vantage point. I hope it is used in the battle.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Apr 17 2013, 10:10pm

Post #9 of 14 (225 views)
Shortcut
This is why I love these films [In reply to] Can't Post

So much attention to detail. I noticed it immediately because I was hoping to see it. PJ is a master at inserting important items that fans will notice and then coming back to them or just letting them go creating an "aha" moment for those who care.

imin
Valinor

Apr 17 2013, 10:40pm

Post #10 of 14 (213 views)
Shortcut
Great amount of visual detail [In reply to] Can't Post

It is lovely to see the level of detail on show. If only they applied the same level of care and detail to the script and story!

And Iluvatar spoke to Ulmo, and said: 'Seest thou not how here in this little realm in the Deeps of Time Melkor hath made war upon thy province? He hath bethought him of bitter cold immoderate, and yet hath not destroyed the beauty of thy fountains, nor of my clear pools. Behold the snow, and the cunning work of frost! Melkor hath devised heats and fire without restraint, and hath not dried up thy desire nor utterly quelled the music of the sea. Behold rather the height and glory of the clouds, and the everchanging mists; and listen to the fall of rain upon the Earth! And in these clouds thou art drawn nearer to Manwe, thy friend, whom thou lovest.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Apr 17 2013, 10:43pm

Post #11 of 14 (211 views)
Shortcut
Agreed!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that the script should take priority over the visuals, yes good visuals are great but if the story is off the window dressing doesn't really matter does it?

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Apr 18 2013, 6:00am

Post #12 of 14 (184 views)
Shortcut
Yeah,if only.... [In reply to] Can't Post

But Weta can't be faulted, they always deliver, and I will continue to buy their art publications simply because, no matter what PJ does to the script, if I have the Weta visuals and Tolkien's words, (not forgetting Shore's music) then I can make the perfect marriage in my imagination!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Avatar: Elwing by art-nouveau-club on DeviantArt

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Apr 18 2013, 6:09am)

Rostron2
Gondor

Apr 18 2013, 6:37pm

Post #13 of 14 (131 views)
Shortcut
If that's the watch post, and [In reply to] Can't Post

...with that much detail, I can;t imagine they wouldn't go there at some point. The whole section of the book where they go to the deserted watch post always made me a little sad because of the incredible loss of Thro's Kingdom. Who was on watch that day? What was their fate? Only the ravens know...

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 20 2013, 3:01pm

Post #14 of 14 (61 views)
Shortcut
Excellent Catch! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm adding this to the Geeky Observations List along with the excellent screencap! THANKS!

3rd draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated for DVD release!!!

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.