The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
PJ is my director!!!!

kingsofmeninglory
The Shire

Dec 18 2007, 9:28pm

Post #1 of 11 (1173 views)
Shortcut
PJ is my director!!!! Can't Post

Of course it's good news that Peter and Fran will be executive producers. Frankly, PJ is the only director in my book for Middle earth. Who's with me? Who's with me?

elentari3018
Rohan

Dec 18 2007, 9:45pm

Post #2 of 11 (961 views)
Shortcut
THat is obvious. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope that with him as producer, even if he isn't the "director" he'll have a lot of say in how the director directs... but then again, it'll be better with him DIRECTING AND PRODUCING. ;)
Laugh

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 18 2007, 9:55pm

Post #3 of 11 (986 views)
Shortcut
Yes but surely [In reply to] Can't Post

if they get any decent director (which we want) then they will probably insist, as part of taking it on, that PJ keeps a distance.

I May be a scientist but I'm also a Ninja fencer!

Patty
Immortal

Dec 18 2007, 9:57pm

Post #4 of 11 (950 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you, Kingsofmeninglory! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a hoping!

For Gondor!

Curious
Half-elven

Dec 18 2007, 11:47pm

Post #5 of 11 (928 views)
Shortcut
Remember that PJ let others film much of LotR. [In reply to] Can't Post

They were usually filming several scenes at once.

Reptile
Rivendell

Dec 19 2007, 12:58am

Post #6 of 11 (917 views)
Shortcut
I was thinking the same thing [In reply to] Can't Post

My recollection is that there were at least a couple of production units going at the same time. I also remember from the commentaries that Peter was really closely involved in every detail of the production. Considering that, I think the final films are going to blend seamlessly with the LOTR movies, no matter who does the actual direction.

I'm filled with anticipation. Now, I've got to go read all these other great posts. But before I do, I wanted to restate my earlier question: do you all think the Hobbit Movie should be narrated or not?

"If you listen closely, you can hear the gods laughing."

Curious
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 1:23am

Post #7 of 11 (918 views)
Shortcut
If you want to stay true to the book, yes, it should be narrated. But I doubt [In reply to] Can't Post

that anyone plans to stay true to the book. Even Tolkien expressed doubts about the way he wrote The Hobbit in his letters, and of course we see how he wrote the sequel. So I expect something much more like what we get in Unfinished Tales, when Gandalf tells us the story of The Hobbit as a prequel to LotR.

But will the trolls talk?

Patty
Immortal

Dec 19 2007, 2:51am

Post #8 of 11 (904 views)
Shortcut
I don't mind the trolls talking... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just don't want the spiders talking.

For Gondor!

Curious
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 3:03am

Post #9 of 11 (896 views)
Shortcut
But I do want Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

to sing his songs to the spiders!

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 3:43am

Post #10 of 11 (895 views)
Shortcut
Animals talk in Tolkien's more serious works. [In reply to] Can't Post

Huan, Thorondor, and even a spider: Ungoliant.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Dec. 17-23 for "At the Sign of the Prancing Pony".

Patty
Immortal

Dec 19 2007, 3:51am

Post #11 of 11 (920 views)
Shortcut
Read my lips! [In reply to] Can't Post

no talking spiders, d' ya hear!Sly

Strangely enough, I didn't have a problem with Ungoliant talking as done by Martin Shaw narrating "The Silmarillion." Nor Huan. I actually don't remember--oh yes, Thorondor talked to Turgon I remember that.

Martin Shaw did a great job here. Maybe the voice is the key. I can't imagine the spiders talking to be good, but maybe it's just that BBC adaptation. Sigh, I'd have to see. "Trust PJ", as I believe I might have heard someone say...Sly

For Gondor!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.