Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Oh dear, Ro's been thinking again.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Apr 10 2013, 9:52pm

Post #26 of 46 (901 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it is. [In reply to] Can't Post

And yes, the subtitles do have him saying "Radagast". I can sort of hear it, drawn out, but I wouldn't hear it if I didn't know what he said, if that makes sense.

Watching with the subtitles on is really quite interesting: I'm actually quite impressed at how much background dialogue goes on that I completely missed in 17 viewings in the theatre, but now that I know it's there, I can hear most of it just fine.

I think my favourite such line is Dwalin in Bag End grumping "Oh, you great galumphing git!" just as the camera cuts to Fili walking across the table handing out ale. Never noticed that line before, and it cracks me up! Not sure who he's saying it to, though. Perhaps Fili just stepped on him or something. I'm going to start using that in everyday conversation. Smile

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Apr 10 2013, 10:03pm

Post #27 of 46 (867 views)
Shortcut
Doesn't happen very often. ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I haven't watched with subtitles yet, perhaps this evening!

One scene that I always have to watch is the scene in Rivendell, when the Dwarves are attempting to eat the food the Elves served. There is a woman that plays the flute, and for some reason to me she seems SO annoying! Perhaps it's the smug look on her face, but it looks like she is deliberately trying to annoy the Dwarves. I always think of this as the "tra-la-la-lally" scene. I can sympathize with Oin as he stuffs his napkin into his ear trumpet. Tongue

Great thought about the music being a subtle "tra-la-la-lally" moment. It hadn't occurred to me that the flute player was deliberately trying to annoy the Dwarves -- but you just might be right! She sure did a good job with annoying poor Oin. I love his creative use of a napkin there.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Apr 10 2013, 10:11pm

Post #28 of 46 (891 views)
Shortcut
"Stop harshing my Du Bekar buzz." [In reply to] Can't Post

ROFL! That may be my new favourite expression. Only a real fan would ever get it! Can I find a way to work it in to everyday conversations?

Sorry to make you look for Fili. I know, even with the remote in hand ready for an instant replay, it's a sacrifice not watching Thorin. I had to watch him entering Bag End last night about 12 times, just to make up for watching Dori and Ori bow, once. And then I discovered Gandalf actually has some interesting expressions in those moments too -- and that required re-watching Thorin enter Bag End *another* 12 times. Good thing I had the living room to myself!

Would love to see Legolas getting uppity at Bo5A, actually. Right next to his uppity papa. Heart

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 10 2013, 10:27pm

Post #29 of 46 (879 views)
Shortcut
Let's make it a saying! And more about your music idea... [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile
Actually (while getting dinner ready) I was thinking more about your excellent point about the musical signature. Have toyed with the idea of posting about a link I see in Thorin and Bilbo's choices - just haven't gotten around to really thinking it out, but your music query unites the ideas. What I see is the lesson that Bilbo learns from Thorin at the Stone Giants, when Thorin risks his life to rescue Bilbo - who he then pointedly demonstrates that he does not particularly like. That's what I see going through Bilbo's mind when he chooses to stand before Thorin's figure and defend him from Azog - the lesson in Dwarven honor being that we don't just save people we "like", and that honor demands harsh choices.. So maybe using that signature is used to relate how Bilbo is acting like a stubborn and honorable Dwarf, having learned from **the best**. (?)

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Apr 10 2013, 10:28pm)

Kimtc
Rohan

Apr 10 2013, 10:31pm

Post #30 of 46 (870 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely! [In reply to] Can't Post

But even open to every character, all favorite hair scenes belong to Thorin. So it would have to be Favorite Thorin Hair scene. I can't wait for "wet-haired Thorin" in DoS. Like the ME version of a wet t-shirt contest.

In Reply To
is when Thorin's in the mouth of the white warg. I think that's my favourite hair-throwing scene.

Second runner-up (after Azanulbizar, which I agree is quite delicious!) is when he hollers "DRAGON!" in the prologue. He flings his hair sooooo majestically as he leans over the balcony to yell into the depths below.

Oooh, and another great hair-tossing moment is when he yells "WAKE UP!" just after Sting glows blue in the goblins' front porch.

Maybe we need to start a poll: Favorite Hair Scenes.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 10 2013, 11:19pm

Post #31 of 46 (845 views)
Shortcut
Lmao [In reply to] Can't Post

When you said 'hair-tossing', for some reason I read it as you meaning goosebumps, because I was reading your points thinking, "Yeah I got goosegumps there too! Oh, and the dragon scene also!" then I read further down and realized...that's not what you meant. LOL

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Apr 11 2013, 2:17am

Post #32 of 46 (829 views)
Shortcut
Subtitles can be useful. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

3. Am I the only one who missed a lot of the background dialogue that’s so delightfully revealed by the subtitles?

I keep meaning to watch it with subtitles but haven't yet. They would be very helpful to solve a conflict in our house over the moon runes scene. Mr. Riven Delve insists that after Elrond says, "So this is your purpose, to enter the mountain?", Thorin replies, "[Phrase that can also be expressed by a vulgar gesture], Elf!" but all I can hear is "What of it?" Angelic No doubt the subtitles will clear this up. Wink

4. The angle of the point of Bilbo’s ears is somewhat back of vertical, which is accentuated when he looks up. In an animal with pricky-up pointy ears (e.g., horses, some dogs, for starters), this angle suggests a general feeling of mild annoyance or bebotherment, or hesitancy, or similar. Not curiosity, eagerness, or enthusiasm. I’m not sure this angle was intentional, but I think it’s perfectly suited to his character. (Look at his ears when he’s sitting in the chair in Bag End talking to Gandalf, recovering with his tea, for a good example.)

Nice observation! How about the angle of this shot, the morning after the party as he looks down at the contract, then looks up again, considering… What do you think?

10. I think Fili also has a magic ring of invisibility. He slipped it on just before they Company is brought before the Goblin King. Has anyone spotted him there? I tried hard today and couldn’t.

And here he is! (You know, that blondish bit behind Bombur?) Yep, that’s pretty much all we can see of Fili in the Great Goblin huddle—when we see him at all.

LOL about the "What of it?" confusion. I'll have to go back and listen to that again. Mr. RD's mishearing could go into the list of misheard lines. So far we haven't come up with any as good as we had for FOTR (e.g., "Hide! It's eggplants from Dublin!" and "Legolas! Get the map!").

Yes, that picture of Bilbo shows the ear angle perfectly, and perfectly reflecting his mood right there. I'm not sure how intentionally they've used his ears to reflect mood, but it strikes me as subtle and very well done.

Oh! You found Fili's hair! And forehead! Thanks for that. I spent quite a while yesterday going through that scene frame by frame and hadn't picked that up. We do see him a little bit as they run out of Goblin Town, but not very much. I still think he has his own Ring.

And thanks, Riven Delve; glad you enjoyed the thoughts. I really enjoy reading everyone else's thoughts. Smile

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Apr 11 2013, 5:34am

Post #33 of 46 (804 views)
Shortcut
he is in goblintown [In reply to] Can't Post

Fili is standing behind Balin in Goblintown at the back of the group

Half Elven Daughter of Celethian of the Woodland Realm

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 11 2013, 9:07am

Post #34 of 46 (764 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the confirmation Roheryn :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I've listened to that part over and over again, and I think the more I've done that, the less it's begun to sounds like anything.

It is interesting that the Necromancer says his name. There can't be many people that do. Though Saruman thinks he is a "human sorcerer", I'm sure Radagast could narrow that down considerably.

I always use to watch the LOTR films (when they first came out) with the subtitles. I'll definitely be doing the same.

Smile

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Apr 11 2013, 9:17am

Post #35 of 46 (778 views)
Shortcut
I'll try it out [In reply to] Can't Post

at the first opportunity, on Mr Ro for starters. He at least should get the reference. Cool

Get your thoughts together on that connection and post them. Great insight, and I think you're on to something. Not sure I agree about the musical connection necessarily, though, since it also plays while Nori, Bofur, and Gloin are burying the troll chest. Not a particularly noble or honorable moment (just look at that contemptuous glare that Dwalin gives them!). Although maybe I missed the timing and it also plays while Thorin inspects the swords? Need to go rewatch. Regardless, when we hear it in that scene it's slower, more flowery and less dramatic. Still not sure what to make of it. It may play elsewhere in the movie too but perhaps I've been distracted...

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Apr 11 2013, 11:34am

Post #36 of 46 (774 views)
Shortcut
About that... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

LOL about the "What of it?" confusion. I'll have to go back and listen to that again. Mr. RD's mishearing could go into the list of misheard lines.

Mr. RD is just teasing...he's "hearing" the nonverbals! It would be so funny if the subtitles did pick up on those...there would be a lot of "*$%!*," in the movie, I think!

In Reply To
So far we haven't come up with any as good as we had for FOTR (e.g., "Hide! It's eggplants from Dublin!" and "Legolas! Get the map!").

LOL! Where/when do those happen?

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Apr 11 2013, 1:39pm

Post #37 of 46 (795 views)
Shortcut
Orcrist [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

7. Orcrist really *does* sing in battle (as Thorin hollers “Hold your ground!” just before Rivendell). I’d thought it was a continuity error, with Thorin drawing the sword even though we’d just seen him holding it – but it’s not. He’s clearly not drawing it, he’s just raising it. And Orcrist is “singing” away. Cool beans. (I’m not the first one to notice this, but I wasn’t sure I believed it at first!)
In real life the temper is so sweet it makes that noise if you quickly run a finger either up or down the blade....Smile I do that a lot.

Your Orcrist sings too?! *envious sigh* Cool

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 11 2013, 1:45pm

Post #38 of 46 (758 views)
Shortcut
*sigh* Indeed! I am very attached to that sword! [In reply to] Can't Post

orcrist is lovely...

BTW I love your new avatar R-D! Heart

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Apr 11 2013, 2:15pm

Post #39 of 46 (751 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

BTW I love your new avatar R-D! Heart

It's based on that very short but beautiful scene of mountain smoke beneath the moon--one of my favorites in the whole movie! Heart

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Apr 11 2013, 4:42pm

Post #40 of 46 (724 views)
Shortcut
Love your point about Elrond! So true indeed, I like his character portrayal immensely in AUJ.// [In reply to] Can't Post

"So your own praise will forever keep your name green,
Both here on Earth and on the stage of the stars" - J.G.Kittel, writing about the composer Jan Dismas Zelenka (1740)

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 12 2013, 2:30am

Post #41 of 46 (701 views)
Shortcut
You found Fili!!! ***applause*** [In reply to] Can't Post

Just saw the link - smashing good job Riven Delve!!! Even when I know where to look its almost like you are seeing just a goblin's shoulder.

Is it Fili who calls out the warning to Thorin when the Goblin King strikes at him? That's who it sounds like but I'm not sure (and you are very good at this technical mystery solving)

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Apr 12 2013, 11:49am

Post #42 of 46 (664 views)
Shortcut
Ahh, I see. [In reply to] Can't Post

I get it now! Just call me slow on the uptake, LOL! I do wish we had subtitles for the nonverbal -- wouldn't it be great to see what Thorin is *really* thinking?

And the misheard lines: someone thought it sounded like "Eggplants from Dublin!" instead of "Crebain from Dunland!" when the crows fly over the Fellowship in FOTR. And my favourite is when, just after Moria when the Fellowship is mourning Gandalf, Aragorn hollers: "Legolas! Get them up!" but it sounds like "Legolas! Get a map!" Which is particularly funny given that Legolas clearly has no sense of direction (thanks to his comments in TTT when he gets the direction that the Orcs are headed completely wrong.)

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Apr 12 2013, 4:46pm

Post #43 of 46 (661 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I did find Fili, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

it's not because I am any good at technical mystery solving. In fact, I can't hear anyone warning Thorin in the Goblin King scene... although I could be looking in the wrong place. Do you mean when the goblins start whipping Thorin after they find Orcrist?

What I am actually good at is *whispers confidingly* looking for dimples. AngelicWink

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 12 2013, 5:05pm

Post #44 of 46 (684 views)
Shortcut
Dimples, Screencaps and who warns Thorin?! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
it's not because I am any good at technical mystery solving. In fact, I can't hear anyone warning Thorin in the Goblin King scene... although I could be looking in the wrong place. Do you mean when the goblins start whipping Thorin after they find Orcrist?

What I am actually good at is *whispers confidingly* looking for dimples. AngelicWink

Heehee, you do have fantastic Dimple Vision Evil I think that could be your Superhero skill Wink BUT I respectfully disagree that you aren't a tech mystery solver because your uncannily awesome screencapping has helped with a lot of questions (that need answering!)

Yes, there is a voice that calls out "Thorin!" right as the Goblin King strikes at Thorin from behind his back (rotter). It will be about three seconds after Kili stabs Grinnah - you will see a quick cut to Nori on the floor and then the voice cries to Thorin in warning.
So since we get a super quick flash of Nori on the ground just before then - maybe it is Nori, although it SOUNDS a lot like Fili when he calls Thorin's name while in flight. Whoever it is saves Thorin from the Goblin King, would love to credit the character. Have a look and tell me what you think. (Would be cool if it turns out to be a Nori moment.)

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Apr 12 2013, 5:54pm

Post #45 of 46 (665 views)
Shortcut
Dimple Vision has also discovered dimples on [In reply to] Can't Post

two other dwarves: Ori and Bofur. Awwwwww. Heart And I vow to only use my powers for good!!! (Oh dear, I hope being a superhero won't take any time away from my Thorin Hair Gazing hobby.Evil)

*ahem* Now what were we talking about? Oh yes. Who warns Thorin... Actually I just watched this bit with the subtitles on and they read "NORI: Thorin!"

It does sound to me like Fili's voice does when he yells "Thorin!" from the eagle's back...but it's just two syllables and hard to make out. I don't think O'Gorman was even in this part of Goblin Town (I don't think he comes in until the actual running scenes) because you can see here (on the right) by the weird wig that it's a body double or a stuntman or something. I suppose they could have dubbed O'Gorman's voice in there, but I'm going to choose to believe the subtitles! Let Nori shine, I say! Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 12 2013, 8:42pm

Post #46 of 46 (652 views)
Shortcut
AWESOME!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ahh, the Subtitle Move - good choice! Actually I am really glad it's Nori ! That's a great moment for him! Angelic Thanks for clarifying that R-D! (Knew you would figure it out!)

Well of course Bofur must have dimples - he has every other mark of adorableness going on! I haven't noticed Ori's yet, probably because (coughcough!!) our Common Thorin Gazing Condition does keep me distracted. Evil

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.