The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Likelihood of gollum in DOS or TABA???

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 10 2013, 5:32am

Post #1 of 15 (1039 views)
Shortcut
Likelihood of gollum in DOS or TABA??? Can't Post

What are your thoughts?? I think it would be great to see him again!

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 10 2013, 11:31am

Post #2 of 15 (450 views)
Shortcut
Unlikely [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think he will be in DoS or TABA – and he shouldn't be.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Apr 10 2013, 12:29pm

Post #3 of 15 (570 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson got that question in an interview, [In reply to] Can't Post

and he said that so far there wasn't shot any more footage (except from maybe a few details in Riddles in the Dark) with Gollum, but that everything is possible Tongue

Vocalist in the progressive metal band Renamed.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Apr 10 2013, 12:40pm

Post #4 of 15 (497 views)
Shortcut
Gollum in TaBA [In reply to] Can't Post

I would not be at all surprised if Gollum showed up in an epilogue-type sequence, maybe show him creeping out of the Misty Mountains mumbling something about Baggins the thief. I wouldn't be against that, but I think any epilogue we get also needs to deal with Balin, Moria ,and the Balrog. So a small cameo in TaBA would not be unwelcome.

There is no reason for him to show up in DoS at all.

dik-dik
Lorien

Apr 10 2013, 1:16pm

Post #5 of 15 (438 views)
Shortcut
the chances are quite slim, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What are your thoughts?? I think it would be great to see him again!

... I'd love to see more of Gollum as well. I don't actually know anyone who doesn't love him. ;) While I agree that he doesn't belong in the main plot, it would still be great to see Gollum nosing around Laketown during the chillout time before the company sets out for Erebor, or around the victorious camp after the Battle.

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

Angharad73
Rohan

Apr 10 2013, 1:35pm

Post #6 of 15 (415 views)
Shortcut
I like this idea [In reply to] Can't Post

Gollum's part in the story of the Hobbit is done, really, and any further interction or even being near Bilbo again would feel rather inappropriate to me. It doesn't fit into the story.

But seeing him again in a short sequence at the very end of the movie, either coming out of the mountains or still in his underground lair, with him still mumbling abut Bagginses and his Precious, as a foreshadowing of sorts, would be cool.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 10 2013, 2:00pm

Post #7 of 15 (381 views)
Shortcut
I don't think [In reply to] Can't Post

we will see him anymore for The Hobbit, BUT I think he will make an appearance in TABA when they bridge TH to LOTR possibly.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 10 2013, 2:08pm

Post #8 of 15 (386 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Assuming we get to see Gandalf and Balin visit Bilbo again at Bag End, Balin could relate the story about a mysterious figure haunting the rebuilt Dale for a time while we see a shot of Gollum creeping around the city looking for news of the hobbit.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 10 2013, 2:59pm

Post #9 of 15 (395 views)
Shortcut
Like others have said, [In reply to] Can't Post

I would love to see Gollum skulking out of the Misty Mountains, setting off on the journey that will take him through the sixty years, bringing him to the events of Fellowship. And i have a feeling that PJ won't be able to resist this image either, even if it only makes the EE.

vexx801
Rivendell

Apr 10 2013, 7:22pm

Post #10 of 15 (287 views)
Shortcut
That's true [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't mind if it was EE only. I just want to see it happen.

Tinkerbell
Lorien

Apr 10 2013, 9:39pm

Post #11 of 15 (263 views)
Shortcut
plot tree [In reply to] Can't Post

This could be interesting in the films. Yet I wonder what exactly Gollum would be doing in an extended role.
Perhaps chasing Bilbo to reclaim the ring. If so, how does this advance or supplement the plot of the movies?
It gives the sense that Gollum will go any length to reclaim his prize, but isn't that established quite well in lotr where his
role is more pertinent? I would be surprised if the Hobbit was increased from two to three installments in large part to give
screentime to a character who, canonically, really has no mention in the latter part of the Hobbit, and doesn't really propel or help
the narrative in any way that hasn't already been established AUJ and will have come to be indulged and fulfilled in LoTR.
Agree or Disagree?

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 10 2013, 11:22pm

Post #12 of 15 (223 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

I can see more of Gollum's role in TABA to be sort of a 'cliffhanger' storyline that leads into FotR, but not so much to have any more integral part for the Hobbit movies themselves. I think TABA will end with open-endedness so that it flows into FotR.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 11 2013, 9:12am

Post #13 of 15 (177 views)
Shortcut
They could always save it for a bridge film [In reply to] Can't Post

When GDT was still head of the project, and in the early days of development, The Hobbit was going to be one film and a bridge film. Obviously, they must have had a reasonable storyline. It's likely that most of it would have been about Dol Guldur, and where can kept disappearing to.

If they really wanted to, they could make a bridge film, detailing the events between TH and LOTR. Gollum could easily feature in that.

Rostron2
Gondor

Apr 11 2013, 6:17pm

Post #14 of 15 (140 views)
Shortcut
This makes sense [In reply to] Can't Post

Some little bit at the very very end...or even one of those post-credits surprises.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 11 2013, 7:23pm

Post #15 of 15 (129 views)
Shortcut
What are the chances we'll get a [In reply to] Can't Post

Ferris Bueller-esque "You're still here? It's over, go home. Go." from Gollum?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.