Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
were there any reshoots done to AUJ?

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Apr 10 2013, 4:13am

Post #1 of 13 (872 views)
Shortcut
were there any reshoots done to AUJ? Can't Post

I had read that before the split into three movies, originally Thorin and Azog did not fight after the escape from the Misty Mountains. It was originally just random goblins from the Misty Mountains who wanted revenge for the death of the Great Goblin, like in the book. The CG stuff with Azog could have easily been done in post, but Thorin clearly calls him "Azog" in the scene and goes to face him like this is no ordinary goblin leader.

The ending too feels like that was always supposed to be the ending...thinking Thorin is dead, Thorin accepting Bilbo, getting the first glimpse of the mountain, etc. And yet before the split the first movie was going to end with Bilbo and the dwarves escaping in the barrels and getting their first glimpse of the mountain as they approached Lake Town.

The thing is I thought all the pickups/reshoots were being done this summer, so did they do others that I just didn't hear about? I didn't hear anything about them going back after the three film split before this summer.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 10 2013, 4:51am

Post #2 of 13 (517 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure I read a comment from Armitage [In reply to] Can't Post

that the Carrock scene was reshot to make it an ending for film one.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elizabeth
Valinor

Apr 10 2013, 5:18am

Post #3 of 13 (465 views)
Shortcut
It had all the earmarks [In reply to] Can't Post

...of something hastily cobbled together. Really the weakest moment in the movie, dramatically. It had "feel-good moment to end the film on" written all over it.

Not to mention being in the Jacksonian tradition of fake deaths. As badly injured as Thorin apparently was, for him to spring up all healthy was a bit much.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 10 2013, 5:24am

Post #4 of 13 (458 views)
Shortcut
i disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

that was the perfect ending point for a three part Hobbit film adaptation. The eagle sequence was simply awesome, with the lonely mountain on the horizon.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Elizabeth
Valinor

Apr 10 2013, 6:57am

Post #5 of 13 (400 views)
Shortcut
The eagles and Carrock w/ distant Lonely Mtn were fine. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was the mawkish, premature "reconciliation" that was all wrong.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 10 2013, 8:12am

Post #6 of 13 (382 views)
Shortcut
Additional filming is being done this May time [In reply to] Can't Post

And that is mainly for TABA and the BO5A (and I imagine there will be some pickups for DOS too). All the major cast members will be returning to film this. We also know Stephen Fry has a couple more things to film.

So yes, additional filming is being done this year, but not for AUJ.

Pickups for AUJ were completed at the end of last summer. I think they announced end of principal photography, and then started on pick-ups.

The Carrock scene was definitely a late pick-up, as were all of Manu's Azog scenes. I imagine all the other pick-ups were small things, additional shots or sentences here and there.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 10 2013, 11:33am

Post #7 of 13 (305 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

The ending was simply beautiful – and I loved the interaction between Thorin and Bilbo.

In Reply To
that was the perfect ending point for a three part Hobbit film adaptation. The eagle sequence was simply awesome, with the lonely mountain on the horizon.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 10 2013, 2:25pm

Post #8 of 13 (283 views)
Shortcut
From what i've been able to figure out [In reply to] Can't Post

from interviews with PJ, Philippa Boyens and others, is that once the decision was made to make it a trilogy, they moved all of the BoFA filming to 2013, and replaced that with all the stuff that had been newly scripted for (primarily) AUJ.

As for the infamous hug on the Carrock? I'm ok with it even though it is cheesy and feels tacked on, just because the flight of the eagles, the Carrock itself, and the Lonely Mountain all look so beautiful, and the ending with the thrush and Smaug in Erebor is damned effective. So yeah, i give it a bit of a pass just because all the stuff surrounding it is so awesome.

Personally, i think that once the company leaves Rivendell (the last third or so) the movie is a bit of a mess, things just kind of happening one after the other with no sense of cohesion, and whole scenes being not much more than a jumble of action. Riddles in the Dark is the only thing that works well (brilliantly, really), with a few other cool moments here and there.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 10 2013, 2:29pm

Post #9 of 13 (252 views)
Shortcut
Aah yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree as well, it seemed to resemble when Frodo and Sam see Mordor so far away in FOTR!

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Apr 10 2013, 6:57pm

Post #10 of 13 (186 views)
Shortcut
My concern with that scene is that it jumps the reconciliation [In reply to] Can't Post

from the end to the beginning. The Arkenstone affair will spoil things again and then we will have another reconciliation scene.

utku
Rivendell

Apr 10 2013, 7:30pm

Post #11 of 13 (179 views)
Shortcut
I don't really think so [In reply to] Can't Post

Mainly because what we have seen cannot be really called reconciliation. Thorin and Bilbo need to a have a relationship to reconcile, so I would rather name it acceptance. Now that Bilbo and Thorin are friends, they can get really bitter in the third movie and have a reconciliation afterwards. It doesn't really feels the same.

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Apr 10 2013, 7:37pm

Post #12 of 13 (169 views)
Shortcut
That is a good reading of the scene, and I know the film [In reply to] Can't Post

has to end on a certain note rather than mere "grudging" acceptance of Bilbo as a valuable member of the company. Of course, this differs from the book but it is to be expected. In a way, the future split will probably be even more hurtful as a "betrayal" for Thorin.

Loresilme
Valinor

Apr 10 2013, 10:51pm

Post #13 of 13 (129 views)
Shortcut
That's a great point [In reply to] Can't Post

"Mainly because what we have seen cannot be really called reconciliation. Thorin and Bilbo need to a have a relationship to reconcile, so I would rather name it acceptance. Now that Bilbo and Thorin are friends, they can get really bitter in the third movie and have a reconciliation afterwards. It doesn't really feels the same."

That is really key - in order for that reconciliation to have impact, there had to have been a strong relationship beforehand. And the breaking of their friendship also, in order for it to be impactful, there has to be time for the friendship to solidify.

I hadn't looked at it from that perspective. Thanks, utku!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.