Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Will they remove "60 years earlier" in the SEE?

TheHutt
Gondor

Apr 9 2013, 9:08am

Post #1 of 20 (1586 views)
Shortcut
Will they remove "60 years earlier" in the SEE? Can't Post

After all, they did remove "The Shire... 60 years later" on FOTR SEE, which was a quite good thing, as these kind of location intertitles do not really fit into Middle-Earth.

It would only be consequent to do the same for TH:AUJ SEE...

Arannir
Valinor

Apr 9 2013, 9:48am

Post #2 of 20 (877 views)
Shortcut
We never had a similar time jump in LotR... [In reply to] Can't Post

... so I do not think this would be consequent.

I agree that an intertitle is not necessary between prologue and the actual story - but since we have the prologue in the prologue thing plus an audience that might be interested how much earlier this story is set compared to LotR, I would prefer leaving it in.

MorgolKing
Rivendell

Apr 9 2013, 1:10pm

Post #3 of 20 (746 views)
Shortcut
When was that? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't remember a "The Shire...60 years later" in the FoTR..????

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Apr 9 2013, 1:12pm

Post #4 of 20 (732 views)
Shortcut
It was in the cinema, [In reply to] Can't Post

when we jump from the prologue over to the picture of Frodo reading the book I think.

Vocalist in the progressive metal band Renamed.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 9 2013, 2:50pm

Post #5 of 20 (690 views)
Shortcut
If i were a betting man, [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd say that they get rid of it (which would be my preference, too). The people who buy the EEs don't need it, and it somewhat lessens the impact of the Old Bilbo/Young Bilbo reveal. Though i don't suppose it makes much difference either way.

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Apr 9 2013, 3:36pm

Post #6 of 20 (616 views)
Shortcut
I don't see how it makes any difference [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally I really liked how they added that notation in the film, as did others, especially those who had never read the book nor been acquainted with Tolkien's world previously. I thought it really gave the audience a lot better understanding on the time-frame involved in the story.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 9 2013, 3:46pm

Post #7 of 20 (621 views)
Shortcut
If I remember rightly ... [In reply to] Can't Post

The subtitle "60 years later" was removed for the EE because PJ felt the fans buying the EE wouldn't need to be told how many years had passed. Or something like that.

I'd fully expect them to do the same.

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Apr 9 2013, 9:26pm

Post #8 of 20 (483 views)
Shortcut
3d [In reply to] Can't Post

but do we know if the EE will be 3d, does anyone know yet?

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Apr 9 2013, 9:42pm

Post #9 of 20 (466 views)
Shortcut
most likely, [In reply to] Can't Post

as everything is filmed in 3D, I see no point in excluding 3D versions of the Extended Cut

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Apr 9 2013, 10:08pm

Post #10 of 20 (471 views)
Shortcut
hope se [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah its all filmed in 3d, but they wont just do all the cgi on all the3d footage just in case they use it for the EE, so im concerned that for simplicity and saving time and money, that it wont happen, im looking forward to an official announcement with baited breath!

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Apr 9 2013, 10:27pm

Post #11 of 20 (450 views)
Shortcut
ah, didn't think of that! [In reply to] Can't Post

But for me it doesn't matter, as I only want the 2D version anyway, so I'm safe Cool

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 9 2013, 11:08pm

Post #12 of 20 (431 views)
Shortcut
Also... [In reply to] Can't Post

if the extra material is enough to require a second disc (as was the case with the LotR EE dvds), then that would mean four discs for the AUJ EE 3d blu-ray. Just something to consider.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Apr 10 2013, 7:29am

Post #13 of 20 (378 views)
Shortcut
2D only for me, too... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not concerned as long as there will still be a choice of both formats available . If it's going to be 3D only then I will be really narked... Frown

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

deskp
Lorien

Apr 10 2013, 10:27am

Post #14 of 20 (377 views)
Shortcut
silly [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd prefere the whole old Bilo + Frodo was cut from the movie. It does not support the 'watch all 6 in chronological order' notion.

In the context of continuity the Old bilbo is a flash forward.

Atleast thats how I see it,
tho technically the whole of the hobbit is a flash back.. Having a whole trilogy be a flashback sounds rather absurd

TheHutt
Gondor

Apr 10 2013, 10:45am

Post #15 of 20 (364 views)
Shortcut
3D [In reply to] Can't Post

According to the BluRay specs, you cannot have a 3D BluRay only, without a 2D version included. This must be either supplied on an extra disc or it must be selectable from the 3D BluRay menu (mind that 3D BluRay video is in fact a flat 2D video + additional delta information stream for the other eye).

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Apr 10 2013, 12:10pm

Post #16 of 20 (344 views)
Shortcut
Okay, well that's cool, then... Thanks! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Apr 10 2013, 12:11pm)

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Apr 10 2013, 6:26pm

Post #17 of 20 (329 views)
Shortcut
Same here [In reply to] Can't Post

Content with 2D...

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 10 2013, 8:39pm

Post #18 of 20 (322 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. We take a lot for granted as the knowlegeable about these stories. [In reply to] Can't Post

Lay viewers are aided by the points of refference.

In Reply To
Personally I really liked how they added that notation in the film, as did others, especially those who had never read the book nor been acquainted with Tolkien's world previously. I thought it really gave the audience a lot better understanding on the time-frame involved in the story.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 10 2013, 8:47pm

Post #19 of 20 (321 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, it should have been in the TE, [In reply to] Can't Post

but i wouldn't call the people who are going to buy the EEs lay viewers.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 10 2013, 9:23pm

Post #20 of 20 (355 views)
Shortcut
Yet they may show it to lay viewers at gatherings etc, so [In reply to] Can't Post

better to avoid confusion.

In Reply To
but i wouldn't call the people who are going to buy the EEs lay viewers.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.