The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Our Xoanon has been interviewed by Radio New Zealand

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 18 2007, 7:18pm

Post #1 of 20 (1498 views)
Shortcut
Our Xoanon has been interviewed by Radio New Zealand Can't Post

This morning's 8am bulletin led on the Hobbit film news, saying Tolkien fans around the world are rejoicing that their calls for Peter Jackson to helm The Hobbit have come to fruition. Then there was a clip from Xo, as a founder of the fan website theonering.net:

"They gave us a call a few hours ago before they released the news release, and gave me a copy and gave me the go-ahread to spread it as far and wide as I can."

Well done Xo - the go-to man for Hobbit news among NZ media!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 18 2007, 8:08pm

Post #2 of 20 (1248 views)
Shortcut
Hip Hip Hooray! Well done, sir! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

And Well Done Peter for knowing who to go to to get the job done. This just keep getting Better and BETTER!

It feels like we're walking in a dream :)

Congrats, Xo!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

My JRRT Map Moot Report

deej
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2007, 8:36pm

Post #3 of 20 (1255 views)
Shortcut
We're a determined bunch, aren't we? [In reply to] Can't Post

That is so cool and has made an otherwise hectic and yuck day much, much better. Smile

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Dec 18 2007, 9:10pm

Post #4 of 20 (1238 views)
Shortcut
Get used to that [In reply to] Can't Post

There are about four or five requests from New Zealand radio and television requests being filled by Xoanon and Tehanu and perhaps even by other old timers.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

elentari3018
Rohan

Dec 18 2007, 9:47pm

Post #5 of 20 (1227 views)
Shortcut
Tha'ts awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad that Xoanon and TORN gets this kind of recognition~ yay for us for keeping the pressure on! :D
Hobbit '09 '10, here we go!!!!!

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 18 2007, 11:49pm

Post #6 of 20 (1235 views)
Shortcut
And comments from Weta: [In reply to] Can't Post

The full NZ Herald story is here - http://www.nzherald.co.nz/...mp;objectid=10483205 - but below are the new bits:

Spokesman Matt Dravitski said Jackson was hesitant to direct it himself and likened his involvement to that of George Lucas' in the original Star Wars trilogy - having established the franchise, Lucas had other directors do parts two and three.
The Weta Workshop and Digital teams only woke to the news today that The Hobbit was a go after the agreement was finalised in the United States yesterday. Jackson signed the deal after finishing the American shoot of his next directorial effort, an adaptation of Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones. Shooting resumes on the film in New Zealand in late January.
It was also too early to say who, if any, of the Lord of the Rings cast might reprise their roles, where and when the film shoot might take place in New Zealand, or whether the hundreds of New Zealanders who appeared as extras in the LOTR would be needed again.
"We had just about got to the end of people sending us photos of themselves dressed in various velvet creations and now that's going to start up again," laughed Dravitski.
The strike by the writer's guild meant there would be no script for the film until that dispute was settled, which could also delay the start of filming.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 18 2007, 11:56pm

Post #7 of 20 (1226 views)
Shortcut
And some *very* interesting comments from MGM's Harry Sloan: [In reply to] Can't Post

MGM Chairman Harry Sloan, who was credited by all parties for bringing about the deal, said Jackson found it "impossible" to direct the film and meet proposed release dates in 2010 and 2011 due to other projects on which he is now working.
"He can't get it scheduled and he doesn't want the fans to have to wait for the next two movies," Sloan said. He said the studios might postpone the films if Jackson changed his mind.
...Jackson and Walsh envisioned the first film covering the events of The Hobbit and the second bridging the 80-year gap between that novel and the first Lord of the Rings book.
It was that vision that led MGM, which holds the film rights to the book and is looking for new movie franchises, to insist that Jackson and Walsh make the films.
"Once (they) played out their vision for The Hobbit as two movies ... MGM just took the position that we wanted to deal with Peter and it was not an option to do it with anybody else," Sloan said.
Sloan said the studios "would welcome as much of the original cast as possible," adding that "some of them have even said they are interested."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4329745a10.html

Ataahua's stories

Curious
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 12:03am

Post #8 of 20 (1223 views)
Shortcut
If PJ is as hands on with The Hobbit as Lucas was with Star Wars, [In reply to] Can't Post

then it those who want a PJ film should be satisfied. (Of course those who have doubts about PJ may be horrified.)

Much of LotR was filmed by various assistant directors. If PJ writes the script, hand picks the director, recruits most of the people who worked on LotR (especially Alan Lee and John Howe), and has control over the editing, it could look very much like his film.

Most importantly, even if PJ is only nominally involved this gives the new director access to the people who worked on LotR but might feel loyal to PJ. It's a real challenge for whoever takes over for PJ, though, with a lesser work than LotR.

Few people have the same love for The Hobbit as they do for LotR. Most fans will want and expect a prequel to the LotR movies, and I expect that is what they will get. But they can't use the material from Unfinished Tales.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2007, 12:04am

Post #9 of 20 (1206 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for both links [In reply to] Can't Post

It better be filmed in New Zealand. As cool as it would be to be filmed here in SoCal (which is the only other option I would see, considering Hollywood's location), New Zealand is Middle-earth.

Though I wouldn't mind if PJ stalled the Hobbit a year or two... that way they'd be filming when I'm studying down there Angelic

Seriously, stall as long as you need to make it *right*. A hastily done movie... well. One can only hope that they do it right. Especially the second film, which I'm not as excited about as the Hobbit. I mean, unless they hire me and other TORnbies as scriptwriters... (one can dream, right? Aren't they always looking for new talent? :P)

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

_V_
Lorien

Dec 19 2007, 12:29am

Post #10 of 20 (1204 views)
Shortcut
yay [In reply to] Can't Post

yay; TORN is in the news again!

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 19 2007, 6:25am

Post #11 of 20 (1236 views)
Shortcut
STOP! DO ANYOF YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS???? [In reply to] Can't Post

Do any of you know what an executive producer does? He isn't even the producer, but the EXEC producer. He won;t even be on the set like Lucas was for TERSB! ..you can't compare this to Irvin Kershner directing "The Empire Strikes Back."

It's much easier to hand over the franchise when it really is YOUR franchise. Your story. But this isn't origional; it's Tolkien. And As difficult as adpating LOTr was, adapting "The Hobbit" will ten times more MURDEROUSLY difficult.

I am MUCH more concerned over the script. Who could possibly replace Fran and Philippa? Anybody can do great action sequences, but Fran and Philippa really made the trilogy. Four years on, we see that so much more clearly now.

I have one question: who is going to replace Fran Walsh and Phillippa Boyens in directing the quieter, more "femenine" aspects of the tale? Who, specifically, is going to replace Phillippa in writing the gorgeous and lyrical poetry that David Salo will translate and help Howard Shore incorporate into his score? (And we've all had the opportunity to read Philippa's poems and know just how good they are.) Without the "femenine" aspect of the films brought to bear by the femal co-directors, the films will lose their magic. The team of Peter and his wife Fran, and Philippa working closely with Shore, is irreplaceable.

I can't believe how sober I am over this online.

I have spent the past 45 minutes first screaming at my laptop, then collapsed on a couch crying my eyes out. And not from joy or excitement. Luckily I'm alone.

I don't believe that PJ wants this handed over for a minute. Otherwise he would not have put up a yearlong fight. He would have happily handed it over to New Line a year ago. And he must want to direct even more now, after seeing how New Line's heavy-handed meddling in TCG killed that potetial franchise.

We fans are to blame for this. If we had not made such a ruckus over him directing a year ago, New Line would not have delayed, and PJ would not have made spurious commitments to projects that will likely not be remembered in 10 yrs time. Sorry Mr Spielberg, but Americans will not give a flying rat's patootie about Tintin. How can we possibly believe that PJ wants this, when he is the guy with the Bag End set in his backyard? When he knows fans may spend the next 50 yrs saying, "No matter how good this is, we all know what it really COULD have been."

How can anybody be happy over this, knowing that the yearlong seige has ended with Peter blinking, and esp after the Golden Compass flop? It was supposed to turn out differently; New Line was not supposed to win.

I can't even begin to sort out my emotions right now. I feel like Harry Potter watching Dumbledore battling Voldemort, after watching Sirius Black falling into the Veil. Suspended in time.....

I am SO GLAD I have tomorrow off work--I don;t work Wednesdays. There goes my Wednesday.....in the best possible wayCrazy

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Dec 19 2007, 6:30am)

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2007, 6:56am

Post #12 of 20 (1180 views)
Shortcut
No need to borrow trouble [In reply to] Can't Post

It's still less than a day since the announcement, and it's over two years until The Hobbit is supposed to be released. Though we all want the movie to be as good as it possibly can be, we don't actually have any control over it. But that's OK -- if it even comes near my hopes and expectations I'll be happy, and if it's a disaster, I'll still have the book....and TORn. I hope you have a good day off! Don't spend all your time here (says she who is staying up too late).

Where's Frodo?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 19 2007, 10:54am

Post #13 of 20 (1160 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Ataahua! Great articles [In reply to] Can't Post

and they're clearly staggering through being semi-prepared for this and working out how to get started. As long as Peter Jackson is "making the films" I trust that he'll ensure these are done in the quality and manner as The Lord of the Rings films. They'll have the same feel, look, music, etc. Others have said it and it's true, Jackson worked with SO many others in directing (and editing) LotR, I don't see any problem at all with him overseeing and not being "directly" behind the camera himself.

Weta's already a given; and I'd love to see Jamie Selkirk as editor for these, and Andrew Lesnie, the Hannahs, all his people on board. They've been with him from the start, and they're as vital to these films being done right as anyone else. I wonder if Rick Porras is around? Fran would be awesome as director...

sample sample

My DragonCon 07 Report

My JRRT Map Moot Report

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 19 2007, 11:13am

Post #14 of 20 (1169 views)
Shortcut
It's going to be okay! [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously! Even if Peter's not standing behind the camera, the story and films are in the hands of the caretaker who will MAKE SURE they're done right and done by the people who made LotR what it is.

I'd love to have Peter direct these himself, but he's fought long and hard to get control of how these are done, and he won't let us down or let anything happen to them. He's a perfectionist and a force to reckon with as the advocate for Tolkien's works.

I believe Philippa and Fran will be doing the screenplay. Peter's position gives him the power over those assignments, IIRC. He's the captain of this voyage, and he'll make it right.

Trust him. He's overcome the worse part, imho. It's being filmed in NZ and by his people. They all know his style, his sensibilities and his standards. It's going to be awesome :D

sample sample

My DragonCon 07 Report

My JRRT Map Moot Report

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 19 2007, 11:52am

Post #15 of 20 (1207 views)
Shortcut
Gramma:) [In reply to] Can't Post

Not to pour cold water on your enthusiam, but you'd really better educate yourself about Hollywood a bit. For starters you'd better educate yourself on what an Executive Producer does.And does NOT do.
He will officially have NO CONTROL or ivolvement in the areas that matter; and Fran and Philppa will be ciphers. I hate to plug my own thread but I really suggest you do it for your own good....I'd hate to see New Line and MGM use your innocent excitement as a token to go ahead and massacre this great project. I mean, now that you're "the most famousest of fans out thereSmile

There are those of us who have serious doubts about this, and not just b/c of possible artistic compromise.

If this goes forward as is, Peter, Fran and Philippa will contribute nothing to the saga but their names (TM) on a DVD box, listed as "Executive Producers" Which means NOTHING. They will have no more to do with it than The Colonel still does with Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Please...just do me a favor and go to my thread and do the Google thing, okay?:)

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Dec 19 2007, 11:57am)

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 19 2007, 12:07pm

Post #16 of 20 (1175 views)
Shortcut
One more thing.... [In reply to] Can't Post

And Curious....the various "assistant directors" only did filler stuff like helicopter shots, distant shots of crowds and processions like the refugees leaving the gates of Meduseld, soldiers fighting in Mias Tirith, etc. As it says on the DVD"s. the only "Assistant Director" who filmed any 'real' scenes - close-ups with dialogue - was Fran.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Dec 19 2007, 6:55pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 19 2007, 8:32pm

Post #17 of 20 (1157 views)
Shortcut
I've read all of your threads [In reply to] Can't Post

and I do feel anxious about what could happen. I know this isn't going to be the golden ring (pardon the pun) in terms of freedom for Peter, Fran, and the production of these films, and I know I'm not educated in the reality of the film industry. You have made a great lot of sense and points on what you're telling me. I appreciate it, truly. Here comes the but... But, given what almost happened with these films and the threat of them falling to the hands of pure Hollywood strictly as a money-maker and not as part of the on-going saga of Middle-earth, I have to say I have trouble not being relieved.

This is not going to be a perfect scenario regardless of who has power or control over it, but the fact that Peter Jackson is involved makes me feel like there's more of a chance for this project to be handled with respect and a keen intention to protect Tolkien's works as much as possible.

I do have rose-coloured glasses. I am the cattle that industries all over the world take advantage of (gasoline, food, housing, politics, guns); but I'm so thrilled at the prospect that we have a chance of these films being done with the same honour as LotR with Jackson at the helm that it gives me hope.

I take your intelligent warnings to heart, and they scare me. You are having an impact. But I deal with so many realities all day every day, I can't let go of this one hope and dream when it's the closest thing I've had to it coming true in years.

I'll continue to heed your warnings, but I need this happiness... as I go pay my bills.

:)

sample sample

My DragonCon 07 Report

My JRRT Map Moot Report

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 9:12pm

Post #18 of 20 (1156 views)
Shortcut
gramma... [In reply to] Can't Post

The world would be a better place if there were more people with your particular kind of rose-colored glasses -- the kind makes you send out positive vibes.

Here's hoping you get just the Hobbit movie that you want!

{{gramma}}

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!"

BG
Board Developer / Moderator

Dec 19 2007, 10:19pm

Post #19 of 20 (1139 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* // [In reply to] Can't Post

beatingheart

Dec 20 2007, 1:21am

Post #20 of 20 (1179 views)
Shortcut
jackson style [In reply to] Can't Post

After working on a project for 8 or more years, and putting your lifes blood into something theres no way PJ is going to just let this slip thru his fingers or his lens for that matter without HIS imput. This is a person that lived and breathed Tolkein and his imagery, his elegance in language, and his demons not just for a single moment in his life to make money but for a eighth of his life. I would be more than willing to wait as long as it takes for Him and His Staff to put this together. But if that is not to be than I (like Gramma) trust he will take good care of it...yes I'm wearing the glasses too!!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.