Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
AUJ through the eyes of eager children
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 7 2013, 6:39pm

Post #101 of 121 (231 views)
Shortcut
I really enjoy young adult fiction. [In reply to] Can't Post

I find the ideas are clear and the writing is uncomplicated - and the books are often better for it.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Apr 7 2013, 7:18pm

Post #102 of 121 (236 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for sharing this! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think one of the joys of being a parent is sharing the things you love with your kids. It's an extra bonus when they love them too! Sounds like you're raising those kids right! Wink

My older child is too cool right now to admit that she loves the same movie as her mom, but she has asked to watch the DVD with me several times. Does my heart good. Heart Her favorite dwarf is Balin because "he's SO the Santa Claus of the dwarves."

In fact, I enjoyed the times I saw the movie in the theater the most when there were kids in the seats around me. I remember hearing one little guy, probably around six, say to his mother in a stage whisper upon hearing "in a hole in the ground...": "Hey, that's how the book starts, Mom!" He was so excited. Just as it should be. Smile

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Apr 7 2013, 7:29pm

Post #103 of 121 (221 views)
Shortcut
Meesaa [In reply to] Can't Post

lika daa hobbitaaa

Meesaa does mui mui when da sexy dwarfa appears! Tongue

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 7 2013, 7:31pm

Post #104 of 121 (219 views)
Shortcut
Impressive [In reply to] Can't Post

That's really cool. I've got nothing like that at all. I understand. I have mine out and for me it allows me to show off Middle-earth so people can maybe get into it and understand why I'm nuts.

It's a long story but I can sum it up in that I was dumber than a box of rocks. lol

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 7 2013, 10:00pm

Post #105 of 121 (208 views)
Shortcut
Not true [In reply to] Can't Post

There are plenty of older adults who appreciate Thorin, and not necessarily ones who are 'hormonal' or thinking about having children. I know a few elderly people who certainly appreciate male hero types – though not perhaps Kili/Fili, who are rather boyish and are probably more attractive to teens.

In Reply To
They are teens/young adults of "biological childbearing age" as the old textbooks would say. They are hormonal. They don't miss hot. lol

In Reply To

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 7 2013, 10:04pm

Post #106 of 121 (225 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I still occasionally read young adult fiction [In reply to] Can't Post

…though only my tried and tested science fiction and the Hobbit. Haven't read my Narnia books for a long time, though I loved them as a child. (Never tried the likes of Harry Potter, and don't want to.)

In Reply To
I find the ideas are clear and the writing is uncomplicated - and the books are often better for it.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 7 2013, 10:07pm

Post #107 of 121 (251 views)
Shortcut
Aww. I hope she lived up to your sacrifices, and remained with you ever after [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I have pieces from some other stuff I collect but it's mostly all Middle-earth stuff. Which I love. :) I'm a junky when it comes to the statues and busts. At one point during The Lord of the Rings statue line from Sideshow/Weta I almost had them all. I sold them off because I thought I was in love with this girl, and wanted to provide a really nice ring. I've managed to get several things back that I really wanted, and have gotten things I didn't have before. I've mixed those in with the great things Sideshow is doing and the great things Weta is doing. So between books, papers, and statues/busts my collection is crazy. lol

Good Luck! :)

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 7 2013, 10:11pm

Post #108 of 121 (239 views)
Shortcut
Is that to me? I didn't intend to imply that they were the only ones who could [In reply to] Can't Post

appreciate him, eroticaly or otherwise. Merely that they were especially likely to exhibited such interest, as opposed to less inclined, as the comment I was responding to seemed to suggest (or that there was some surprise that they noted the stud aspects of Durin's heir).

In Reply To
There are plenty of older adults who appreciate Thorin, and not necessarily ones who are 'hormonal' or thinking about having children. I know a few elderly people who certainly appreciate male hero types – though not perhaps Kili/Fili, who are rather boyish and are probably more attractive to teens.

In Reply To
They are teens/young adults of "biological childbearing age" as the old textbooks would say. They are hormonal. They don't miss hot. lol

In Reply To

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Apr 7 2013, 10:14pm

Post #109 of 121 (180 views)
Shortcut
Narnia is really addictive, because you can blast through each book in a few hours // [In reply to] Can't Post

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 7 2013, 10:17pm

Post #110 of 121 (222 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I see what you mean [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
appreciate him, eroticaly or otherwise. Merely that they were especially likely to exhibited such interest, as opposed to less inclined, as the comment I was responding to seemed to suggest (or that there was some surprise that they noted the stud aspects of Durin's heir).

In Reply To

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 7 2013, 10:26pm

Post #111 of 121 (184 views)
Shortcut
Sadly no :( [In reply to] Can't Post

It didn't end pretty. Found out things afterwards that made me glad it didn't work out but sucked to lose items I really liked. You love and learn. Won't be making that mistake again.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 8 2013, 12:11am

Post #112 of 121 (174 views)
Shortcut
*wink* [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 8 2013, 12:11am

Post #113 of 121 (182 views)
Shortcut
I am sorry, [In reply to] Can't Post

my dear Elessar. Hoping the next time is far superior.

In Reply To
It didn't end pretty. Found out things afterwards that made me glad it didn't work out but sucked to lose items I really liked. You love and learn. Won't be making that mistake again.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 8 2013, 12:56am

Post #114 of 121 (183 views)
Shortcut
Love your mentoring story Argalen! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm thrilled to see how much Tolkien is in popular culture these days, especially in the younger set. Compared to today I feel like my 20's were spent in a wasteland where people looked at you either funny or uncomprehending if you mentioned it.

I made a point of breaking the Teen and pre-teen ice in the theater several times when I was seated with teens (other than mine, who has adored ME for years already) just to see what they thought. I found a lot of curiosity in first-time viewers, they had a lot of fun but appreciated the story - and were touched by things like Bilbo and Bofur's scene, and Gandalf giving Sting to Bilbo - and were very happy at the end of the film. One pair of girls (first time viewers) were planning to buy the book on their devices when they got home Angelic which simply made my day!

On the point about Thorin, as raised earlier, ALL the girls I spoke to either liked Fili, Kili, or 'Both' and were quite willing to debate their respective merits......!

Thorin perhaps is for another demographic. On which topic I will behave for a change and say nothing.

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 8 2013, 2:20am

Post #115 of 121 (152 views)
Shortcut
Thank ya :) [In reply to] Can't Post

It sucked but I'm better for it. I hope so. :) Maybe I'll find someone whose into Tolkien.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 8 2013, 2:52am

Post #116 of 121 (154 views)
Shortcut
Boulder Colorado 1968-70 [In reply to] Can't Post

HitchHiked... through Haight-Asbury,?

Produced Many..."Liquid LightShows"
Grace Slick(Jefferson Airplane)
came backStage and

"Love is All THERE is.."

Goldberry Thanks you TOO
... For the Memories..

( &..izz..."Far OUT"..there...in Valinor?).

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 8 2013, 4:13am

Post #117 of 121 (143 views)
Shortcut
Ah, tis not like it was when we were very young and new to such things. The world [In reply to] Can't Post

is full of them now. . . and many of them are pretty! Sexy, even! To quote Bofur, one of my favourite dwarves now though I never paid him much attention before (he may well become the official Bofur in my head now, in a way that cannot be managed by other actors portraying characters whom I already had an age old familiar grasp of), "I wish you all the luck, in The World."

In Reply To
It sucked but I'm better for it. I hope so. :) Maybe I'll find someone whose into Tolkien.

(This post was edited by AinurOlorin on Apr 8 2013, 4:14am)

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 8 2013, 4:31am

Post #118 of 121 (160 views)
Shortcut
Thank you :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you my friend. :)

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Apr 8 2013, 11:16am

Post #119 of 121 (125 views)
Shortcut
That is awesome. [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to hear your kids enjoyed it. Can't wait to watch it with my cousins again.

"Eala Earendel engla beorhtast
ofer middangeard monnum sended."

"You think you world is safe? It is an illusion. A comforting lie told to protect you. Enjoy these final moments of peace. For I have returned to have my vengeance. So, shall we begin? " - John Harrison/Khan/Sherlock/Smaug (Star Trek: Into Darkness)

Ceridwen

Apr 10 2013, 11:31am

Post #120 of 121 (59 views)
Shortcut
Awww. Thanks for sharing. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's lovely to hear your boys enjoyed it so much :) Great reactions.

I posted on a previous thread about seeing the film with girls (10-13yrs) who were entranced throughout.
I enjoyed most of the film when I saw it first with adults, though I have a fondness for a bit of darkness and angst. Then I loved it all again in a different light seeing it through their eyes. It made me more forgiving of the bits that had me rolling my eyes. And yes, they are now reading the book by choice. Win-win.

The love for the Company runs deep already. It'll be interesting to see how the shift into darker territory will be handled.

Elwen
Lorien

Apr 10 2013, 2:13pm

Post #121 of 121 (103 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for sharing! I love the commentary. My oldest elfling.... [In reply to] Can't Post

is 8 and I let her watch AUJ this weekend with my mom and I. I wish I had thought to take a running commentary, although I don't know she would have come out with so many astute observations as she was pretty tired.

Let me preface this by saying I was really sad that she had to cover her face so many times during what started out as a story for children. I know the reasons, and it's a great movie, but it still caused me a bit of regret. It probably doesn't help that she's somewhat sensitive. I had to preface the movie with "There are some scary parts, but it's important to know that all of these dwarves and Bilbo and Gandalf are OK at the end of the movie." She really doesn't do well with character death. (She's one of very few children I know who HATED Finding Nemo. She couldn't get over feeling bad for Marlin and Nemo over the mom and all the brothers and sisters.) She's going to have a rough time of it if we let her watch the later films, but since they're a couple years off, we may be alright.

She LOVED all of Bag End and was as impressed with the dwarvish burping as I was with the dwarvish singing.

She drew an immediate parallel to Bilbo being covered in troll bogeys and Harry's wand in Sorcerer's Stone and how disgusting that must have been.

She loved Galadriel and was especially impressed with how she turned and her dress was "all flowy and perfect." Methinks I may be making an elf-queen costume this fall.

Surprisingly, she didn't hide during the escape from the goblins. She found it quite funny actually.

Gollum was "very creepy" but she liked that part. (after I once again reassured her that Bilbo would not be eaten whole)

We also had to explain why the Eagles couldn't just take them closer to where they needed to go. (In the process she also learned about deus ex machina.)

It was fun and she want's to know when she can read the book, which for me was one of those YAY moments. I told her to hold off a couple more years. She's a strong reader, but only in 3rd grade and I think it would still be on the challenging side. Maybe she can read it in the lead-up to the third movie.

Before kids, exercising with LOTR meant listening to the soundtrack while I ran.

After kids, exercising with LOTR means having an all out dance party with the little ones to the "Break the Dam Release the River" disco mix form the Lego game.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.