Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
HobbitCon 2013 Report on HeirsofDurin website...

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Apr 6 2013, 5:26pm

Post #1 of 25 (1660 views)
Shortcut
HobbitCon 2013 Report on HeirsofDurin website... Can't Post

DarkJackal has a report up on her excellent website of the recent HobbitCon 2013 in Bonn...

http://thorinoakenshield.net/...bbitcon-2013-report/

Spoilers can be found within the write-up regarding recent speculation over Azog's fate, and Tauriel's lovelife... Wink

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 6 2013, 5:41pm

Post #2 of 25 (681 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for sharing! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I'm even MORE excited to see DOS knowing those spoilers :D

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 6 2013, 5:42pm

Post #3 of 25 (733 views)
Shortcut
I really don't see the point of making all the effort to keep Azog alive... [In reply to] Can't Post

I really don't see the point of making all the effort to keep Azog alive, just to kill him off in DOS. It simply makes no sense. It makes even less sense that just as Azog dies, his son (that no-one [the audience and the film characters] has ever met ) now wants revenge. Utterly pointless. And now Dain has nothing to do either. He'll be another character just appearing for no apparent reason, simply because of the change in timeline.

Azog should've died at Azanulbizar, with Bolg threatening revenge on the heirs of Durin. Years later, Bolg then bumps into the Company ( la Azog in AUJ), refuelling his hatred for the Dwarves and Thorin. AUJ then remains exactly the same, but Bolg being in Azog's place. Bolg then meets his end at BO5A. That makes sense, and still gives Dain something to do.

Since this isn't the case, they should have, alternatively, had both Azog and Bolg at the BO5A. Azog can carry on chasing the Company, and Bolg can take part in the Battle of Dol Guldur. They then both partake in the BO5A. Dain kills Azog (giving him something to do, and restoring the Azanulbizar timeline, and also justifying why he then becomes King under the Mountain), Bolg kills Thorin, and Beorn kills Bolg.

It's a great report by DarkJackal though. As expected (by some), Tauriel has a thing for Thranduil (and I expect Kili has a thing for Tauriel). A sort of love triangle, but two cases of unrequited love. It works for me.

I'll have to have a dig around, but there's a shot of Oin from DOS with a new ear trumpet. Presumably he gets a new one then from Gloin.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Apr 6 2013, 5:46pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Apr 6 2013, 6:04pm

Post #4 of 25 (656 views)
Shortcut
I...am...SO THERE next year! That's if I can't make Comic Con // [In reply to] Can't Post

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 6 2013, 6:29pm

Post #5 of 25 (641 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for posting, Eleniel [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds as though you had a great time.

DanieLB: I must say that killing off Azog in DoS does make sense to me. It's a scenario I've envisaged all the way along. I've always thought there shouldn't be two major villains, and I would like Thorin to get the chance to kill Azog, especially given what lies ahead. Unimpressed

Shagrat
Gondor

Apr 6 2013, 6:35pm

Post #6 of 25 (677 views)
Shortcut
I don't buy it [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't see why they'd leak information this important. No offence, but is it possible the guy was joking?

Escapist
Gondor

Apr 6 2013, 6:35pm

Post #7 of 25 (655 views)
Shortcut
Rather than *spoilers* [In reply to] Can't Post

killing Azog off, I'd like to see the Necromancer beat him into submission and enlist his followers to defend Dol Guldur - leaving him feeble enough to get taken out by Thorin and company at the eond of DoS or during TaBA, planting seeds of the threat of him attempting something similar with the spiders of Mirkwood ... and a certain nearby dragon.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Apr 6 2013, 10:37pm)

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Apr 6 2013, 6:52pm

Post #8 of 25 (619 views)
Shortcut
Huh? [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds as though you had a great time.

The report has nothing to do with me, sadly.... I wish I had been there!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 6 2013, 6:57pm

Post #9 of 25 (636 views)
Shortcut
I don't think that part is true [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't attended the panel Stefan Servos gave (too much other things going on). But I know he showed the entire sneak peek and discussed with the audience what happened there.
And since I haven't seen something pointing to Azog being killed in the sneak peek, I doubt it has been confirmed there.
And (I keep on going) Stefan Servos is the PTPB for herr-der-ringe.de, the german counterpart of TORn. So he doesn't have information about any of that (I assume?? He is a nice guy, but I doubt he knows anything of that extent).

And the referral to the Azog dying on stage. That is an act performed by audience members. A guy and his gilrfriend (or wife, don't know if they married already, he asked her to marry him last RingCon, with Sean Astin helping with the ring Heart). They own a stage fighting agency (or something alike) and you can attend workshops over the weekend and be part of the show at closing. They also have no inside information.

But further than that, awesome report. Lots I hadn't remembered (I should take a notebook with me so I can take notes during panels).

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 6 2013, 8:11pm

Post #10 of 25 (615 views)
Shortcut
Unlikely [In reply to] Can't Post

DarkJackal has had several "scoops" previously, and it's not in her nature to fabricate something. But we're all here to discuss the rumour/spoiler, and not the user who gave it.

Interestingly, two others also posted the same rumour saying they heard it from the convention. But we've also heard Azog will be seen a lot more in both DOS and TABA. There's been a mix up somewhere.

We'll just have to wait and see. Smile

kiwifan
Rohan

Apr 6 2013, 8:43pm

Post #11 of 25 (596 views)
Shortcut
Yes, very good report (saves me from having to write one of my own) [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

Well, perhaps if all the impressions ever settle like coffee grounds in my brain, I'll be able to put together something at least semi-coherent (and post it in the thread that Rosie-with-the-ribbons started, also on the Moot Board).

But it's all still floating around in my mind --- such a wonderful time. I so hope they'll have a second one next year!

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

Lio
Lorien

Apr 6 2013, 8:50pm

Post #12 of 25 (586 views)
Shortcut
But according to the report [In reply to] Can't Post

The information came from somebody else, so is it possible that it's not entirely accurate? It would be great if anyone who actually attended the panel could confirm (or deny).

I mean, I don't know, these "spoilers" just sound a bit iffy to me. First, I'm not sure if I buy Azog dying after they've spent all this time building him up. Unless, perhaps, he becomes the main villain for the second movie and dies at the end of it? That might work if neither Smaug nor the Necromancer are defeated in DoS and so they need to add another arc that can be completed over the course of the movie.

The Tauriel bit, on the other hand, sounds terrible. I really hope it's not true! I think I would have preferred the Tauriel/Kili romance. Crazy

Orcs are mammals!

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 6 2013, 9:44pm

Post #13 of 25 (528 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I thought it was your report. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like a fun event, anyway!

In Reply To
The report has nothing to do with me, sadly.... I wish I had been there!

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Apr 6 2013, 9:45pm)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 6 2013, 10:00pm

Post #14 of 25 (525 views)
Shortcut
Well, as long as he is dealt with, Daniel. I would prefer it had happened in proper [In reply to] Can't Post

sequence as well, but I CERTAINLY don't want them to keep having him pop up where he doesn't belong for two more full movies, at the expense of Bolg and everyone else. The Bolg/Azog connection should and might be made in the next film, and that would be far better than a sudden reveal + revenge story all crammed in the second half of the final movie. There is just no good reason to keep Azog around, and I will be very relieved if he isn't for much longer.

In Reply To
I really don't see the point of making all the effort to keep Azog alive, just to kill him off in DOS. It simply makes no sense. It makes even less sense that just as Azog dies, his son (that no-one [the audience and the film characters] has ever met ) now wants revenge. Utterly pointless. And now Dain has nothing to do either. He'll be another character just appearing for no apparent reason, simply because of the change in timeline.

Azog should've died at Azanulbizar, with Bolg threatening revenge on the heirs of Durin. Years later, Bolg then bumps into the Company ( la Azog in AUJ), refuelling his hatred for the Dwarves and Thorin. AUJ then remains exactly the same, but Bolg being in Azog's place. Bolg then meets his end at BO5A. That makes sense, and still gives Dain something to do.

Since this isn't the case, they should have, alternatively, had both Azog and Bolg at the BO5A. Azog can carry on chasing the Company, and Bolg can take part in the Battle of Dol Guldur. They then both partake in the BO5A. Dain kills Azog (giving him something to do, and restoring the Azanulbizar timeline, and also justifying why he then becomes King under the Mountain), Bolg kills Thorin, and Beorn kills Bolg.

It's a great report by DarkJackal though. As expected (by some), Tauriel has a thing for Thranduil (and I expect Kili has a thing for Tauriel). A sort of love triangle, but two cases of unrequited love. It works for me.

I'll have to have a dig around, but there's a shot of Oin from DOS with a new ear trumpet. Presumably he gets a new one then from Gloin.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 6 2013, 11:18pm

Post #15 of 25 (512 views)
Shortcut
Although I didn't mind Azog's extension, [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that this would be the best transition in which Azog should die and Bolg should be introduced. At least it would make sense even with the change. And, don't want any cramming, there shouldn't be with 3 movies, but ya know.

In Reply To
sequence as well, but I CERTAINLY don't want them to keep having him pop up where he doesn't belong for two more full movies, at the expense of Bolg and everyone else. The Bolg/Azog connection should and might be made in the next film, and that would be far better than a sudden reveal + revenge story all crammed in the second half of the final movie. There is just no good reason to keep Azog around, and I will be very relieved if he isn't for much longer.

ArchedCory
The Shire

Apr 7 2013, 3:47am

Post #16 of 25 (496 views)
Shortcut
HobbitCon [In reply to] Can't Post

While I like D.J. a lot, it was not her who wrote this, but me. Unfortunately, I wish she could have been there with me.

Anyway, I don't see why Stefan Servos should run around giving wrong information. I know him as well and I do not think he wants to "ruin his reputation" by something this silly. Also the whole panel was designed AS a preview to the second movie, so if he has no information, why would he hold that panel at all? :)

But what I am surprised about: With that many reports in the Internet by now, I can't believe I am the only one providing the relevant information. See also the thing Peter Hambleton said about Gimli. When I went back to my seat after asking him about it, I thought: "This is going to be all over the Internet in 5 minutes!" It still isn't, and that is really weird...

DarkJackal
Rohan

Apr 7 2013, 5:21am

Post #17 of 25 (503 views)
Shortcut
Aww. Thanks Daniel. [In reply to] Can't Post

You are right, I speculate, not fabricate. And I usually like a lot of evidence at hand before doing even that. But these spoilers do not come from me, as I am an ocean away from Germany, and did not have the budget to attend Hobbitcon.

The Hobbit Photo Gallery

(This post was edited by DarkJackal on Apr 7 2013, 5:22am)

ArchedCory
The Shire

Apr 7 2013, 5:30am

Post #18 of 25 (478 views)
Shortcut
And... [In reply to] Can't Post

...they don't come from just anybody either. I wouldn't have even included them if they weren't given by him. I also know what sources to trust. :)

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 7 2013, 5:32am

Post #19 of 25 (456 views)
Shortcut
I do prefer [In reply to] Can't Post

As we've talked about before Azog dying in DoS since he didn't "really" die in AUJ.

I am also curious to see Gimli. It's a stretch and fan fiction I know but I do love the character so just a quick glimpse should be cool.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 7 2013, 8:53am

Post #20 of 25 (450 views)
Shortcut
Re: Gimli [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's probably because we've all been expecting a Gimli cameo. We've already seen the picture of young Gimli in Gloin's frame, so I think we assume straight away that is what they are talking about. Unless there is more?! Which would be exciting!

Thanks for the report ArchedCory. I really need to attend a Con like this one day. Evil

ArchedCory
The Shire

Apr 7 2013, 9:39am

Post #21 of 25 (462 views)
Shortcut
Gimli [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it confirmed yet that the picture in Gloin's frame is Gimli? Doesn't really look like him. ;)

I could actually read from Peter Hambleton's reaction that I hit a delicate spot there. He wasn't all too comfortable about me asking that. I'd say his body language there says a lot more than his actual words! But of course.... No videos allowed!

As said, it was my first Con too, and I never thought they could be that much fun! :D

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 7 2013, 9:59am

Post #22 of 25 (456 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the move guide confirmed that the [In reply to] Can't Post

Gloin carried around a frame with a picture of his wife and son in. In the screenshot, I assume it is his wife, rather than Gimli.

JRD was in New Zealand around the time of filming. I am hoping for something more too.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Apr 7 2013, 10:58am

Post #23 of 25 (441 views)
Shortcut
completely agree about the Axog Catastrophe... so so stupid... all due to the Dol Guldur sub-plot as far as I can tell [In reply to] Can't Post

infuriates me Unsure

"So your own praise will forever keep your name green,
Both here on Earth and on the stage of the stars" - J.G.Kittel, writing about the composer Jan Dismas Zelenka (1740)

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Apr 7 2013, 6:34pm

Post #24 of 25 (374 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the report [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounded like a great con, glad you had a good time and met your fave dwarf.

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 23 2013, 12:57am

Post #25 of 25 (565 views)
Shortcut
Best Line from Sly McCoy... [In reply to] Can't Post

"...Radagast and Tom Bombadil would be drinking buddies and have a mushroom omelette together...."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.