Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
**Call for Geeky Observations**
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

The Prancing Pony
Rivendell

Apr 7 2013, 5:13pm

Post #26 of 38 (261 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for the link [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have a look at it. April 19th better come quickly.Crazy

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Apr 7 2013, 6:59pm

Post #27 of 38 (272 views)
Shortcut
A couple more from Bag End [In reply to] Can't Post

Just as Bombur comes out of the pantry bearing cheeses, there is a brief shot of Bifur behind him. He takes a bite out of a string of sausages that are still hanging up!

A little touch of authenticity: as Fili walks across the table passing out ales, you can see the mud on his boots. As you'll recall he got drafted to move furniture before he had a crack at the using the glory box... Wink

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 8 2013, 12:28am

Post #28 of 38 (232 views)
Shortcut
Ahh - fountains make sense! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you Esmerelda! I wasn't entirely sure they were botanical design.... but now that I look fountains do fit the graphic very nicely. Appreciate the info! Smile (Glad you have the perfect Letter-opener!)

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Apr 8 2013, 11:29am

Post #29 of 38 (240 views)
Shortcut
I don't know if anyone has seen this... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I didn't find it on your list; it might just be my eyes playing tricks on me.

When Fili says, "If there's a key...there must be a door." Oin gives him a "Well, obviously" look.

Also, your list is excellent. I had it in front of me when I watched it on the small screen for the first time, and it helped a lot with noticing new things. Smile My aunt's dog Gimli also liked it - he sniffed it and panted happily.

"Eala Earendel engla beorhtast
ofer middangeard monnum sended."

"You think you world is safe? It is an illusion. A comforting lie told to protect you. Enjoy these final moments of peace. For I have returned to have my vengeance. So, shall we begin? " - John Harrison/Khan/Sherlock/Smaug (Star Trek: Into Darkness)

(This post was edited by BoromirOfWinterfell on Apr 8 2013, 11:30am)

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Apr 8 2013, 1:49pm

Post #30 of 38 (224 views)
Shortcut
And in return, [In reply to] Can't Post

when Oin says, "He says he's an expert!" Fili gives Oin a puzzled "what?" look.

Also, someone here mentioned this at some point, but I didn't see it on the list: After Fili's "We're fighters" speech, he nods to someone near the head of the table--presumably Thorin, who must have approved of the speech. Smile

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Apr 8 2013, 2:14pm

Post #31 of 38 (209 views)
Shortcut
Good observations [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the little nods and references to the relationship between Fili, Kili and Thorin.

"You think you world is safe? It is an illusion. A comforting lie told to protect you. Enjoy these final moments of peace. For I have returned to have my vengeance. So, shall we begin? " - John Harrison/Khan/Sherlock/Smaug (Star Trek: Into Darkness)

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Apr 8 2013, 6:34pm

Post #32 of 38 (208 views)
Shortcut
I am enjoying that too! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I like the little nods and references to the relationship between Fili, Kili and Thorin.

It's kind of an inside-out dramatic irony that we know they're family, and they know they're family, but the information has not yet been made official onscreen to everyone by the characters, so we get to glean all these geeky clues in the meantime! Heart I wonder if in the movies Thorin will wait until Laketown to announce the boys' relationship to him, as in the book...

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Apr 9 2013, 1:25am

Post #33 of 38 (187 views)
Shortcut
When Dori invites Gandalf to have some chamomile tea in Bag End [In reply to] Can't Post

His tray has two cups on it, presumably the second one for himself. Then when he brings Gandalf his teen tiny glass of red wine, the tray again has a second glass. So was Dori copying Gandy just to be polite or was he actually brown-nosing the wizard? Smile

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Apr 9 2013, 12:32pm

Post #34 of 38 (166 views)
Shortcut
Here's hoping to more of those references (book spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

And more obvious ones, eventually. You've got to make it obvious that they're related when they all die in BoFA.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 11 2013, 7:11pm

Post #35 of 38 (131 views)
Shortcut
**I've Gathered Geeky List Info from this post :) THANKS ALL! **PLEASE DO NOT ADD ANYMORE OBSERVATIONS FOR THE LIST TO THIS THREAD!** [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be back with some of my own after the weekend. CRAZY busy right now... but I wanted to let you know I've got these and look forward to more! I'll update the list and post it by next weekend.

I'm sad SAD sad for those who haven't gotten the dvd yet. :( That's just so WRONG!

Thanks all!

3rd draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated for DVD release!!!

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

elaen32
Gondor

Apr 11 2013, 9:38pm

Post #36 of 38 (133 views)
Shortcut
Aaah No!! Missed the Deadline! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Gramma- I didn't post these before because I've only just got the DVD. If you aren't able to include them I completely understand but thought I would post for info, because I couldn't see them in your lists (though may have missed them)

1) In the first camp scene, as the scene opens, Gloin is shown snoring deeply and loudly- Bilbo is getting fed up with him- this has echoes of Gimli's snoring in Lothlorien in FOTR, when Aragorn gets annoyed with him- like father like son!
2) Also , after Balin relates the story of Azanulbizar, he finishes by saying "Azog discovered that the line of Durin was not to be easily broken" and the camera immediately, but briefly pans onto Filli and Killi looking proud, before switching back to Thorin
3) In the next scene, when the company are riding throught the woods in the pouring rain- the sun is shining brighly all around and overhead!- ? More of a blooper this one!?

Anyway, that's mmy little lot. Thank you for compiling these lists Gramma, it makes the watching all the more enjoyable

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Olo Overhill

Apr 12 2013, 1:21pm

Post #37 of 38 (125 views)
Shortcut
Wine or Tea? [In reply to] Can't Post

Something I noticed recently that made me smile was after reviewing both the Hobbit and Fellowship of the Ring, when Gandalf comes to Bagend in the Hobbit, Dori offers him some tea but he brushes him offer and requests wine instead. In the Fellowship it is reversed, Old Bilbo offers him some wine “a very good year” but he politely requests tea instead. For some reason I thought this was one of those little things that is cool about the movies.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 20 2013, 4:10pm

Post #38 of 38 (118 views)
Shortcut
Gotcha! Both of ya! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Great catches! I'm adding them to the Geeky List RIGHT NOW!

Thanks lots!

3rd draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated for DVD release!!!

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.