Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
#VoteBilbo
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 6 2013, 1:30am

Post #26 of 40 (251 views)
Shortcut
I am going to stick up for Kristen Stewart here [In reply to] Can't Post

I do not believe she is a terrible actress.
Having not seen Snow White (and having no wish to) I cannot comment on her performance in it. And I will certainly concede that her Twilight role does not allow much room for demonstrating range and talent.
I think her performance in The Runaways was excellent. I found her believable and strong in the role.
And she had a small but memorable part in Into the Wild. At the time I saw this film, I remember thinking that she may well be someone to watch.
I think she has talent. It's whether she will have enough opportunity to prove it that I wonder about.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 6 2013, 1:44am

Post #27 of 40 (230 views)
Shortcut
I can see this [In reply to] Can't Post

because I once stuck for her as well; in Twilight she was given such a bland character to play, so really...she did it right.

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Apr 6 2013, 1:47am

Post #28 of 40 (245 views)
Shortcut
Thorin should be in this poll.! [In reply to] Can't Post

Mad

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Apr 6 2013, 2:20am

Post #29 of 40 (217 views)
Shortcut
They're Twilight fans [In reply to] Can't Post

The books themselves make no sense, so it's fans will equally make no sense. It is as you said, they are confused about what they really like.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Apr 6 2013, 2:22am

Post #30 of 40 (213 views)
Shortcut
I don't mean to argue [In reply to] Can't Post

But I have seen Stewart in other films, and her acting is rather wooden. I saw her at the oscars recently, and she was just really unappealing. My mum and I were talking about it all night, and my dad was wondering why her hair wasn't brushed. Maybe she was okay in a few movies, but I find her acting rather wooden.

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 6 2013, 2:34am

Post #31 of 40 (205 views)
Shortcut
I don't think you are arguing, [In reply to] Can't Post

merely sharing your opinion.
I stand by my opinion of her ability in the roles I believe she has demonstrated her acting chops in.

Something that makes me sad about Kristen Stewart is the amount of judgement of her both as a person, and as an actress. I think a lot of this is driven by how people view the whole Twilight thing, including making judgements about the people who like the movies and the books.

tolktolk
Lorien

Apr 6 2013, 9:38am

Post #32 of 40 (184 views)
Shortcut
Don't let it annoy you Glorfindela [In reply to] Can't Post

The MTV Awards are not to be taken seriously (Martin is also up for the Best Scared at S*** Performance) and this is just silly fun. I think he is probably laughing at it himself as his family have joined in the fray!

@jamiefreeman
My stupid brother is now NOT winning. I will NOT have a loser for a brother. Please #votebilbo OK?

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 6 2013, 10:53am

Post #33 of 40 (177 views)
Shortcut
Fair enough! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The MTV Awards are not to be taken seriously (Martin is also up for the Best Scared at S*** Performance) and this is just silly fun. I think he is probably laughing at it himself as his family have joined in the fray!

@jamiefreeman
My stupid brother is now NOT winning. I will NOT have a loser for a brother. Please #votebilbo OK?

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 6 2013, 2:00pm

Post #34 of 40 (150 views)
Shortcut
One thing I like about her [In reply to] Can't Post

is that she is the farthest thing from the stereotypical hollywood actress, and I do applaud her for that. Plus, I like that she doesn't feel the need to impress anyone (i.e, her clothing style, her hair isn't 'perfect' all the time).

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 6 2013, 2:01pm

Post #35 of 40 (157 views)
Shortcut
This is [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
@jamiefreeman

Hilarious!

Ref
Rivendell

Apr 6 2013, 3:57pm

Post #36 of 40 (156 views)
Shortcut
RE: Starling [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not overly familiar with her work, but I have seen Snow White and it's just God-awful. Her 'acting' in it consists of lip biting and rolls of her eyes and just general awkwardness. It doesn't help that the script is ridiculous and you do end up wanting The Evil Queen to win.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

*~* Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week *~*

Icon made by the talented dark_jackal32

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 6 2013, 4:12pm

Post #37 of 40 (131 views)
Shortcut
Haha [In reply to] Can't Post

a friend of mine said all the other actors had to work extra hard around her to make up for her lack of acting. I haven't seen it, although I did want to.

Buchanicus
Lorien

Apr 6 2013, 8:13pm

Post #38 of 40 (127 views)
Shortcut
I really hate to be negative [In reply to] Can't Post

But I may have to stop following or using twitter if this is going to be happening for the next week. My feed is completely filled with tweets and retweets for this MTV thing...and it's driving me batty. I never can stand these "march madness" type polls and generally don't understand the appeal (yeah, yeah, it's all suppose to be "fun").

To each their own, I'm sure they've gained new followers and such, but they may be losing a long time one in the mean time...

Now get off my lawn and turn down your music!!!Wink

TORn member formally known as ryan1976.

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 6 2013, 8:47pm

Post #39 of 40 (110 views)
Shortcut
This is the #1 reason why I follow very few people on Twitter [In reply to] Can't Post

I usually follow someone or some company for one main purpose. If that person tweets on lots of other things or retweets lots of things that aren't on topic or just tweets incessantly, I stop following them.

I don't follow TORn for that reason. I stopped following Roger Ebert because he was too prolific for my taste. And a number of other people popped off my list because I was getting 5 tweets I wasn't interested in for every 1 I was (or more).

Of the five entities I follow, two are local indie movie theaters, one is the city's announcement of snow emergencies (which can get your car towed if you miss), and two that are LOTR related - one who doesn't really tweet much at all.

If something is happening and I want to see tweets on it, I search for it.

But I'm quite aware I'm in the minority of Twitter users. I get completely overwhelmed by an abundance of anything and many people are much more able to filter out what they don't want to absorb.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Apr 6 2013, 8:47pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 6 2013, 8:55pm

Post #40 of 40 (134 views)
Shortcut
and a follow up on the 'March Madness' type of voting... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think it's coincidental that some of this happens during spring break season (at least here in the US). It seems obvious to me that the great majority of people voting in some this completely for fun voting bracket stuff are young people home from school on break, totally caught up in the drama of their favorite character, movie, or actor doing well in some competition. There are those who vote one, a half dozen, maybe even a dozen or so times. Then they go about doing something else.

But there are some that are voting way more than that and are advocating for their 'favorite' in very exuberant ways, and getting very disappointed (or mad) when their favorite falls behind. And it becomes their major occupation for all those days when they're just sitting at home bored from not being at school and socializing with their friends.

I can always tell when spring break is hitting. There is a distinct type of online activity that starts to spike. But, it's all age appropriate for young folk with lots of energy and a need for something to occupy themselves with. In the end, it's harmless. (not that you suggested it wasn't, Buchanicus. I'm just bouncing off your observations with some of my own.)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Apr 6 2013, 8:56pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.