Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
There is plenty of time.

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

May 9 2013, 6:31am

Views: 303
Shortcut
There is plenty of time. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think PJ said that there would an opportunity to realize Gandalf's story as he disappears
from Bilbo and the Dwarves around the time that DoS starts, I think. That means there is plenty of
time for him to cross over the mountains and investigate the high fells. I don't think it will
show him recrossing the mountains, as that's not the point, but i think it was the original intent
for bilbo and thorin to cross over the mountains, but in taking refuge in the cave, they got ambushed
and taken inside the mountain to the Goblin King. So it is possible that Gandalf could go back and forth
easily enough, over the mountains.

I don't think the high fells necessarily has to be a flashback or occur between WC and Goblintown, although it makes
sense that gandalf would aid the party across the moutains and then take leave for the assault on Dol Goldur which is also
on the same side of the mountains. But it's been shown in the past that Gandalf can get around. For instance, in fotr, Gandalf
rides to Minas Tirith to scour the archives for his suspicions. In the book, this may have occurred over many years but the
film has no need to emphasize timing or logistics per se. years could have easily haved passed in the film as well, but the point
is well taken that Gandalf travels and reaches the destination he needs to be to conduct his research. I see the High Fells in a
similar light. Gandalf didn't teleport himself to these areas, the story merely presumes that the journey to the place had to have taken
time and energy, it just doesn't show it. Thus, I think it is a possibility that Gandalf leaves the party and goes to the fells in present time.
what you think?

Subject User Time
Where in Middle Earth are the High Fells? easterlingchief1 Send a private message to easterlingchief1 Apr 5 2013, 5:39am
    Invented for the movie Fredeghar Wayfarer Send a private message to Fredeghar Wayfarer Apr 5 2013, 5:45am
        Unlikely to be at Trollshaws DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Apr 5 2013, 8:44am
            Film/Book mashup Frostbitten Send a private message to Frostbitten May 8 2013, 3:39pm
    they're beneath the misty mountains MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Apr 5 2013, 5:56am
        So that's DoS's intro, then? QuackingTroll Send a private message to QuackingTroll Apr 5 2013, 11:57am
            What??? Glum Send a private message to Glum Apr 5 2013, 12:02pm
    west of the Misty Mountains, between Ettenmoors and Rivendell DwellerInDale Send a private message to DwellerInDale Apr 5 2013, 11:01am
        But Coldfells is a more dramatic name // QuackingTroll Send a private message to QuackingTroll Apr 5 2013, 11:37am
            There is another factor: DwellerInDale Send a private message to DwellerInDale Apr 5 2013, 1:32pm
        Is it "High Fells," a place-name? Or is it just a description ("high fells")? Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Apr 5 2013, 11:41am
            Mostly descriptive, I think. Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Apr 6 2013, 12:24am
                Yes, the North Downs sounds right to me. Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Apr 6 2013, 12:29pm
    huh jimmyfenn Send a private message to jimmyfenn Apr 5 2013, 12:46pm
    MordorCasst video... Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Apr 5 2013, 1:15pm
        Thanks for the link to the video. sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Apr 5 2013, 2:48pm
        Sorry, I forgot the link gets contracted when posted... Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Apr 5 2013, 5:36pm
            By the fact NoelGallagher Send a private message to NoelGallagher Apr 5 2013, 8:32pm
                High Fells will be a flashback MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Apr 6 2013, 1:12am
                    just like you said NoelGallagher Send a private message to NoelGallagher Apr 6 2013, 7:14am
                        its just a lot of backtracking MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Apr 6 2013, 7:20am
                            not everything NoelGallagher Send a private message to NoelGallagher Apr 6 2013, 7:33am
                                they reveal where its located here MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Apr 6 2013, 7:43am
                                    which doesnt mean NoelGallagher Send a private message to NoelGallagher Apr 6 2013, 7:49am
                                    No. Frostbitten Send a private message to Frostbitten May 8 2013, 3:41pm
    When does/did Gandalf visit the High Fells? QuackingTroll Send a private message to QuackingTroll Apr 5 2013, 1:34pm
        It HAS to be a flashback.... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Apr 5 2013, 1:58pm
            But when was it supposed to have happened? QuackingTroll Send a private message to QuackingTroll Apr 5 2013, 3:21pm
                Yes Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Apr 5 2013, 3:26pm
                Yes, it has to be that way DwellerInDale Send a private message to DwellerInDale Apr 5 2013, 3:32pm
                    Ah of course. That makes sense. But... QuackingTroll Send a private message to QuackingTroll Apr 5 2013, 3:37pm
                        Answers... DwellerInDale Send a private message to DwellerInDale Apr 5 2013, 4:12pm
                            There is plenty of time. Dwarvenfury Send a private message to Dwarvenfury May 9 2013, 6:31am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.