Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Just some pondering over the familiarity that my weird brain sees in Woodland Elf armor.

redgiraffe
Rohan

Apr 5 2013, 4:57am

Post #1 of 7 (2174 views)
Shortcut
Just some pondering over the familiarity that my weird brain sees in Woodland Elf armor. Can't Post

Soooo here: http://screencapped.net/...thehobbit-000727.jpg we have Thranduil's very elegant, beautiful, unique, and... pointy Woodland elf army armor.

When I saw this in the cinema I couldn't help but feel as if there was a sense of familiarity behind it - the helm's in particular.

And after some remembering/digging on the googlizer I found this old pic of what was labled "witch-king helm" but I believe it was an unused Elven king warrior helm from the LOTR trilogy.

http://corecanvas.s3.amazonaws.com/...riginal/coolhelm.jpg

I always thought that helm was a pretty cool design and wished I could have seen it on film. But the main point is that the woodland elf design, for some reason, seems to resemble a similar "flow" to this helm. Does anyone else think this? I think it would be pretty cool to see Thranduil wearing this to battle. After all he has already established himself as someone who wears quite elegant crowns.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

(This post was edited by redgiraffe on Apr 5 2013, 4:58am)

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 5 2013, 5:14am

Post #2 of 7 (1016 views)
Shortcut
alternate link [In reply to] Can't Post

When I tried your link, it redirected me to the home page - as if the link was broken. I sought out the image in an alternate way and determined you linked directly to the image, not the html page. This can cause problems with some sites and may have here.

In case the link doesn't work for someone else, here is the html page:
http://screencapped.net/...49#top_display_media

Or perhaps there was just a glitch when I tried.

But I always appreciate a link to the actual site instead of just the picture so I can look around more if I like.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

redgiraffe
Rohan

Apr 5 2013, 6:12am

Post #3 of 7 (916 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, man [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I linked it directly to the image which still seems to be working fine for me but I'm sure it won't work for everyone.

And I think it's a rule that TORN has where we should link to the original site to give the credit. I clearly forgot about this so thanks for posting it. Speaking of which, the other helm is from Torn's scrapbook collection.

So do you have any opinion on the matter of the resemblance?

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Apr 5 2013, 11:32am

Post #4 of 7 (871 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to go OT. But I never noticed before that the men behind him were CGI [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I can't un-see it Frown

This can't be legal... they've uploaded every frame of the film?? Crazy

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 5 2013, 1:52pm

Post #5 of 7 (824 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Thanks, man"

that would more appropriately be 'ma'am' if I liked being called ma'am. :-)

Once I found the html page and viewed that, clicking on your link made the image show up. I think it's due to our computer's caching it but it's hard to test it out once an image is cached so I'm not sure.

What do I think? I guess I don't have many thoughts. Designers have styles and we could be seeing the natural style of one designer who's influenced both. I don't know why there would be an attempt to make the two look similar. You want a sense of consistent style across the movie series in general but I think they've made it clear they want different cultures to look distinct from one another so why make the Elf King look like the Witch King?

So I'd strike it up to a designer's (Falconer? Howe? does anyone know?) natural style preferences coming through.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Apr 5 2013, 5:08pm

Post #6 of 7 (776 views)
Shortcut
Haha [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks man to Magpie LaughLaugh

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

redgiraffe
Rohan

Apr 7 2013, 5:38am

Post #7 of 7 (716 views)
Shortcut
OT [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Sorry to go OT. But I never noticed before that the men behind him were CGI

I noticed that as well. maybe the costumes aren't CGI but I'm pretty sure the faces are because they all look the same. Sort of going into George Lucas territory there. They couldn't find any extras for that scene?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.