Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What do we know about Jabez Olseen..PJ's Editor?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Hamfast of Gamwich
Rivendell

Apr 4 2013, 8:38pm

Post #26 of 38 (314 views)
Shortcut
It's from the Empire magazine podcast [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=36031

She also mentions in this the scene between Elrond and Bilbo and how she hopes it makes it into the extended edition because she thinks it's important for character development.

(This post was edited by Hamfast of Gamwich on Apr 4 2013, 8:39pm)

Hamfast of Gamwich
Rivendell

Apr 4 2013, 8:46pm

Post #27 of 38 (305 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

if something is really important for the overall, 24 hour movie series I think it should probably be included in the extended edition.

Stuff that makes the theatrical cut should be relevant to that film as people see it in the cinema on a one off occasion and I don't think that having 5 minutes of Bilbo and Frodo discussing the Sackville Baggins and subtle hints that Bilbo is intending to leave Hobbiton really added anything to an unexpected journey, I think they slowed down the start and were the main reason a lot of people thought there was too much time in bag end at the start. They could have still had Frodo in, but just very briefly showing him walking past Bilbo and heading out of the door as Bilbo writes before cutting to Martin Freeman on the bench.

Still, thats just my opinion and PJ is free to do what he feels is right.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Apr 4 2013, 8:47pm

Post #28 of 38 (310 views)
Shortcut
Since The Two towers [In reply to] Can't Post

and especially Kong that bloatedness has part of jacksons DNA, and it shows in AUJ. Maybe he just loves every bit of material he shoots so hes incapable of cuting it out...thats why i think he needs someone to counter balance him...

Every ecene was necessary? I disagree...i see no need for insects, buny sleds chases, bloated cicrus fight scene in Goblin Town, extenuous and overlong chases and fight scenes, etc...

When people fall asleep in the theatre or look at the clock theres something wrong Tongue

I suppose the EE will fix some of these problems by hacing much needed character development.

Vous commencez ŗ m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Apr 4 2013, 9:00pm

Post #29 of 38 (301 views)
Shortcut
I agree with you, BB. [In reply to] Can't Post

Surprised?!ShockedLaugh

Loresilme
Valinor

Apr 4 2013, 10:53pm

Post #30 of 38 (256 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I thought they were important also [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the scenes between Bilbo and Frodo were fitting, and I liked them. I suspect there might be a bookend moment or two later on in the trilogy that is going to tie back to those scenes. But even if there aren't, I liked that they showed a few happy moments between the two, and that we got a chance to see more of Frodo as a lighthearted 'lad'. I guess I am overly sensitive, but I got a little teary seeing the character so unburdened and carefree, knowing what happens to him eventually. So even though it was a bit sad (to me), I think the scenes had meaning and I'm glad they were included.

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

Apr 4 2013, 11:15pm

Post #31 of 38 (266 views)
Shortcut
ashnazg [In reply to] Can't Post

I see your point. And i think i agree. while so much is given in the film, for example in the prologues, you
can't really part with any of it imo. i am under the impression that what is seen doesn't always need to be said, and vice
versa, depending on the situation, but i think the dialogue given with the visual is indispensible. it may seem perhaps, unconventionally
presented and balance only because this is part one of a story with two more parts to follow. as a story as a whole, the prologues hit all the right
notes. it may just seem a little clunky at first. even thrain, in his short cameos, is brilliant Tongue when taken into context of the whole story, seen in three installments.
in this way, it might be helpful to think of AUJ not as AUJ in the same way as Fellowship of the Ring, but rather as the Hobbit: Part1. not only is auj meant to be seen in and of itself,
but also is meant to be seen as its place amidst the whole story. that is, the makers didn't concede certain points in auj in order to present a more conventional layout of a single film with
the prologue in proportion to it's climax and conclusion. it's not a prologue for An Unexpected Journey only, but rather a prologue for the Hobbit as a whole.
In my opinion, taking this into account allows all the more for the story to unwind and engross.
so if it helps, one might think of AUJ with all it's plot lines and their inclusive substance not as merely advancing AUJ itself but advancing the Hobbit. That is AUJ is merely Hobbit Part 1. that is, auj
cannot be fully understood, cinematically, until is has it's end, which is not in auj itself; auj's end is in TABA. auj might feel awkward because its fulfillment is in the other two parts lol. this all might be common
sense, but i just think it kind of helps to better understand the story's breadth and narrative flow when keeping it in context of being 1/3 of a continuous story. i'll keep telling myself this haha.
it's maybe strange that one thinks a scene could do without, but then when you think about it, the scene really can't do without even when it concerns minor details. I think the other two parts
will better illuminate this. it's just my two cents.
does anyone agree with anything in this post? hehe

Elenorflower
Gondor

Apr 5 2013, 11:48am

Post #32 of 38 (207 views)
Shortcut
Every scene was necessary? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And in what way is PJ "known" for his incapability to properly cut a film? FotR and TTT were both nominated for editing and RotK won!

The Hobbit was long, but it wasn't bloated. Every scene (albeit Frodo, which was probably only kept because it was in the trailer) was necessary! And even with all the added material the dwarves still seem as two-dimensional as in the book, so if anything, too much was cut!

This is why I think, unlike LotR, the EE is actually going to be the preferred version of the film

I beg to differ, I dont think belching, troll snot, green food whinging and 100% of Azog was necessary. It certainly wasnt necessary for the plot.

Noria
Rohan

Apr 5 2013, 12:32pm

Post #33 of 38 (218 views)
Shortcut
Editors and editing [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson is a man secure in his artistic vision and he makes his films as he wants to make them. I know little about film making but enough to know that the director is the final authority and bears the responsibility for a filmís success or lack thereof. We have little idea, beyond one example, if his editors challenge him and if he listens or not. But isn't it the editorís job to help the director make the film he wants to make?

But honestly, what did people expect from a Peter Jackson movie, especially after seeing his LotR trilogy? I am actually curious about that. I am not enamoured of the belching, snot, bird poop etc. but I knew before AUJ was released that there would be stuff like that in all three films. There will be more, because that is Peter Jacksonís humour. There will be more deviations from Tolkienís canon and his history and geography of Middle Earth as well as ďmade-upĒ scenes created to serve the story the movies are telling. We viewers can take the LotR and Hobbit movies as they are or criticize them to our heartís content as we choose, but it changes nothing.

Azog doesnít bother me at all, and I let the other stuff just flow by. I prefer to take the little bit of bad with the much greater good. It works for me

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 5 2013, 1:54pm

Post #34 of 38 (209 views)
Shortcut
40 Years ago (1973) Bomby was Shooting, Processing and Editing...TV NEWS [In reply to] Can't Post

This was just prior to Shooting with Video Tape,
and our Cameras were 16mm film and Hot-Splicing
for the 6'clock. Bomby would re-edit this for the 10 o'clock.

Of the 10 + times Bomby watched it?

First viewing... just to take it all in.

Second time.. wanted to look for the Small details for Character Development.

Third Time consentrated on Editing.

An additional two-Shot of Dialogue between Our Company,
Additional Helicopter Landscape shots, etc...will Vastly improve the EE.

The next 7+ viewings?

It was like we were watching a HighLight!..Reel.

Old Toby
Gondor

Apr 5 2013, 4:55pm

Post #35 of 38 (185 views)
Shortcut
My feelings exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been reading this thread and find parts of it very nasty, more complaining than anything else. And like you, although there were aspects I didn't particularly find appealing, on the whole I thought the good far outweighed the bad, and just sat back and enjoyed the ride! I love PJ's films.(Which leads me to a bit of a twist on Gandalf's comment on the weather: if you wish to change the nature of the film, find yourself another director.)

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on Apr 5 2013, 5:00pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 5 2013, 4:58pm

Post #36 of 38 (172 views)
Shortcut
MODS UP // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've been reading this thread and find parts of it very nasty, more complaining than anything else. And like you, although there were aspects I didn't particularly find appealing, on the whole I thought the good far outweighed the bad, and just sat back and enjoyed the ride! I love PJ's films.(Which leads me to a bit of a twist on Gandalf's comment on the weather: if you wish to change the nature of the film, find yourself another director.)

Angelic

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 5 2013, 5:06pm

Post #37 of 38 (177 views)
Shortcut
I am correct in thinking that an editor works for and is hired by the director [In reply to] Can't Post

...am I not? I wait to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Then not only do I agree with you I would question the concept that someone can tell their boss NO. I mean, you can. You can certainly suggest something. You can give them your reasons for wanting to do something another way than what they want. But in the end, if you say NO when the boss wants something, the boss will just get someone who will say yes.

I am a creative. I work for people who sometimes think they know better than me in terms of creativity in my particular field. Sometimes I don't think they're right but I can go their way if they are jazzed about it. Sometimes I think they are dead wrong and tell them that and they listen. Sometimes they don't care what I think and I am told what to do.

I wish I could say I live in a world where I am able to honor my own creative intuition and training enough to say: NO - no matter what, you are wrong and I won't do it.

But I don't live in that world. I need a job and, in the end, I was hired to work for them and do what they want done. If I can't respect that, I need to get out myself.

It sucks. But that's the way it is for most of us.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

will9090

Apr 16 2013, 10:29pm

Post #38 of 38 (111 views)
Shortcut
Olssen [In reply to] Can't Post

It's 'Olssen' not "Olseen'. But google seems to accept either...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.