Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
tauriel
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 7 2013, 1:44am

Post #101 of 102 (2623 views)
Shortcut
Good point Maciliel - Its a question of social proportion vs entertainment [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

but most movies, books, and tv shows made today mean that females had better be broad-minded (no pun) if they want to look for the role models that suit them best. males don't have to look far for their role models in films, books, and tv shows -- meaning, they aren't pushed to consider identifying with females because there are few or no males in a cast or character list.

I think although the industry likes to think its taking the lead in highlighting the social model of a given society I think they are always bound to be a bit behind, especially since they are interested in selling ideas that they know have established relevance. So in a way they are always going to be a living a bit in the past; so as you point out the more established classic of male role models as defines for several generations will change LATER than the desire for a change, even if its an emerging trend in the society (as I think is in the case with many societies today.)

(haha - broad -minded.....!)Smile

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Apr 7 2013, 2:10am

Post #102 of 102 (2688 views)
Shortcut
I do NOT see it as having anything to do with her being female [In reply to] Can't Post

It has to do with a very minor character who's primary role in the book was getting drunk and having their keys "borrowed" by Bilbo. Which in the book the character was, which is not a big deal, referred to as him which doesn't really matter. Him or her, that part to me is all the same. I do not, nor have ever cared what the characters gender is. My big problem with this character is there is no basis rooted in anything Tolkien other than that small minute detail. The character gets drunk and passes out, period, end of story, nothing more is known about the character. What we are getting is a warrior elf who by all accounts is killing spiders, chasing orcs, talking and interacting with others, running about middle earth with nothing that was ever written by Tolkien. All her dialogue, actions, motives, are written and made up by Peter Jackson. Unless she gets drunk, passes out and lets Bilbo get her keys, which I highly doubt since they have gone thru all this trouble to insert a completely made up, fan fiction, character into the films to add "feminine energy". There is not one stitch of development to this character from Tolkien's work. THAT is where i have trouble with the character, it has nothing to do with the gender but the character itself. Heck give Evangeline Lilly Bards role and make Bard female for all I care.That would be better than the whole Robin Hood thing they have going on with his character. Tongue

All this talk about people not having issues with Alfrid... I see no problem with the character, because he is not a main character given any real motivation, his character design is to make the Master of Laketown look a certain way, nothing more. That character is nothing more than a pawn moved by the motivations of the Master of Laketown. plus the actor portraying him is little known so his role will probably not be that big. Evangeline Lilly however has gained stardom and success with such things as LOST, Real Steel, plus being on several other television shows in her career. She is a well known actress so her role will not end up being a cameo, so It should be presumed her role while might not be huge in comparison to Thorin or Bilbo will be just as large as Legolas's or Thranduil's. Which are Tolkien based characters. Even though I do not think their motives will be anything Tolkien created in the grand scheme of things, but they are Tolkien characters.

My fears with her character are that she will help Bilbo rescue the dwarfs from Thranduil's halls after getting some pity for them or for Bilbo, and the spider sequence will be all about the elves chasing the spiders away and capturing the dwarfs instead of Bilbo being the one to save the dwarfs from the spiders just because Peter Jackson wants to make the story "more complex" with different story lines. The key events of the book should be rolled over into the film, without feeling the need to give other characters heroic events that belong to Bilbo. Bilbo should be the one to sneak the keys without help, Bilbo should be the one to rescue the dwarfs from the spiders unassisted. Those events are part of the character arc of Bilbo and to not give them to Bilbo or to alter them is just poor adapting IMO. Maybe if there were some basis in Tolkien's writings for Tauriel I might feel differently but at this point she is merely some made up elf warrior, who happens to be female, that is just unnecessary in telling the story of Bilbo Baggins and his journey. Which IMO should be the first and foremost thing in the films not about making the story more complex.

By the way Not every film, television show, or book needs a strong female character, if there wasn't one written into it. They should be able to make it without one. I mean If they can change one character to female without making changes to the story I'm fine with the addition but to just add one because it adds "feminine energy" or to stop the film from "feeling like a boys club" is a PC reason IMO and does nothing to the story at hand. I just think her addition is a poor choice because it is based on nothing Tolkien, its a character who was maybe a paragraph in the book getting drunk, passing out, and getting their keys taken for Bilbo to do what he needed to do. (which I highly doubt will happen since she is the female counterpart to Legolas) And to have her helping Bilbo in Thranduil's halls takes away from his great deed of rescuing the dwarfs.

(This post was edited by sinister71 on Apr 7 2013, 2:14am)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.