Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A Dwarvish ladder/Beorns house.

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Apr 3 2013, 10:25am

Post #1 of 21 (809 views)
Shortcut
A Dwarvish ladder/Beorns house. Can't Post

Okay,in the sneak peek there is a scene. where Bilbo is seen climbing up a tower of Dwarves into a laketown building.What could this be about?Also i noticed that the company, are running away from someone or something, STRAIGHT into Beorns house.Does this mean, we won't get that iconic scene from the book, of Gandalf introducing them in pairs.?

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

(This post was edited by Thorins_apprentice on Apr 3 2013, 10:33am)

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Apr 3 2013, 1:41pm

Post #2 of 21 (399 views)
Shortcut
Probably [In reply to] Can't Post

The introduction to Beorn scene is basically a recap of the story so far. It is unnecessary and repetitive in a movie. While I would love to see it as a fan and one who loves this scene in the book, it probably doesn't work cinematically. Plus it would use up a lot of screen time..

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Apr 3 2013, 2:41pm

Post #3 of 21 (364 views)
Shortcut
It wouldn't have worked in the 2-film scenario that went right through to "Barrels"... [In reply to] Can't Post

but with the change to 3 films many of us hoped it would be kept in as it's the ideal way to re-familiarize the audience with the 13 Dwarves after a year's absence.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Elwen
Lorien

Apr 3 2013, 2:58pm

Post #4 of 21 (332 views)
Shortcut
An excellent point on re-introducing the characters. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't thought of that, but it would be a great way to do it.

It was my hope that the 3 film model would allow more to be kept in instead of just drawing out action sequences.

I love this scene in the book, but sadly I'm sure it's going to be one of those things that directors refer to as "slowing down the pace of the film."

My elfling's LOTR commentary: (from when she was 4)

On Arwen: That princess is sad because she wants her Daddy.
On Eowyn: That princess is sad because she wants to ride horses with all the boys. They should let her play too.
On Legolas: What is that princess' name?

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Apr 3 2013, 3:04pm

Post #5 of 21 (328 views)
Shortcut
Personally would love to see them reintroduced [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe not in pairs, but like 4 at a time, or something. Just keep the scene similar to the book somewhat. In the book Gandalf makes it clear that Beorn doesn't like outsiders and is suspicious of them. That's part of Beorn's character. So all of them just running in takes all that brilliant Tolkien pacing and character detail out of the scenario. It takes away Beorn's curiosity, and wanting to investigate their tale to see if its true, it just adds more unnecessary change for no good reason other than to simply change it. I hope they at least keep some feelinig of the book from Beorn's house, not so much the animal servants but the way they meet Beorn and staying in his home for a while getting the little "bunny", as Beorn calls Bilbo, fat again. Hopefully they keep some resemblance of the scene from the book otherwise, whats the point?

(This post was edited by sinister71 on Apr 3 2013, 3:07pm)

Macfeast
Rohan

Apr 3 2013, 3:10pm

Post #6 of 21 (307 views)
Shortcut
My thought exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be a nice way to catch the audience up, not only on the dwarves (and as sinister noted, it wouldn't have to be in pairs, it could be fewer and bigger groups), but also on the company's progress.

Also, unless there's a lot of padding between the opening of the film and Beorn's house, the company being chased to Beorn's house would suggest some very immediate action to start the film, no gentle "easing in". If that is a good thing or a bad thing, is of course up for debate; I certainly loved the tense and dramatic flashbacks in the LOTR-trilogy, and I love the idea of a flashback to Gandalf finding Thrin in Dol Guldur to start TTT. However, if we're to open with the main characters, in the present day, then I'd prefer a more gentle opening.

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Apr 3 2013, 3:17pm)

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Apr 3 2013, 3:41pm

Post #7 of 21 (281 views)
Shortcut
Good point [In reply to] Can't Post

Also, Beorn really hates Goblins and is very pleased that Gandalf has killed the Goblin King. He talks about it a lot. That is a lovely piece of this scene and I'd like to see it kept.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 3 2013, 5:08pm

Post #8 of 21 (246 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe in groups of kin-- Bifur/Bofur/Bombur... Balin/Dwalin... and ending, of course, with Thorin.

Clifton8
The Shire

Apr 3 2013, 5:15pm

Post #9 of 21 (238 views)
Shortcut
sure [In reply to] Can't Post

groups of kin, ending with Thorin AND Bilbo

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Apr 3 2013, 5:16pm

Post #10 of 21 (244 views)
Shortcut
Now I will say [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Bombur being made to wait till last, then trailing behind the last group of dwarfs would be hysterical. Bomber running in behind them all out of breath, complaining all the while about being left behind. Giving Stephen Hunter some dialogue finally. it sticks with the book but with this cast it could be ohh so great and hysterically funny. I'm sure it would get a good laugh Wink

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 3 2013, 5:20pm

Post #11 of 21 (233 views)
Shortcut
I'd like that for Bombur [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think Bombur being made to wait till last, then trailing behind the last group of dwarfs would be hysterical. Bomber running in behind them all out of breath, complaining all the while about being left behind. Giving Stephen Hunter some dialogue finally. it sticks with the book but with this cast it could be ohh so great and hysterically funny. I'm sure it would get a good laugh Wink

Smile

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

Clifton8
The Shire

Apr 3 2013, 5:28pm

Post #12 of 21 (221 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

This would be an ideal moment for Bombur, especially considering his upcoming involvement/uninvolvement in the story. (the enchanted stream in Mirkwood).

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Apr 3 2013, 5:29pm

Post #13 of 21 (227 views)
Shortcut
He's got plenty of time . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . with three films to fill.

At some point last fall, someone (Daniel LB?) asked a question to do with which sections of the book we considered "must see" . . . things that could not be left out. One of the things I mentioned was that introduction scene at Beorn's house. I'm hoping that PJ & Co changed the introduction section at Bag End in AUJ as he did 'knowing' that he intended to include the entire scene at Beorn's.
It makes sense in a way . . . it would occur right near the beginning of DOS, and would allow those not steeped in the storyline a chance to be re-introduced to the company. It would allow a little happy place after the chaos that occurred in the crossing of the Misty Mountains, and just before the mysteries that are glimpsed at Beorn's House and the parties entry into Mirkwood.

Just a thought . . .

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began
Now far ahead the Road has gone
And I must follow, if I can

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 3 2013, 5:35pm

Post #14 of 21 (236 views)
Shortcut
I think you're going to be very disappointed. [In reply to] Can't Post

The behind the scenes footage clearly shows the whole group running in at once. Frown

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Apr 3 2013, 5:40pm

Post #15 of 21 (218 views)
Shortcut
such a shame [In reply to] Can't Post

they think they know but IMO have no clue Unsure. Its the character moments like this from the book which Tolkien wrote most people want. Not some OTT action sequence instead Tongue This was one of those moments that Bombur's weight would have led to a hysterical situation. Such a shame Frown

Ffnir
Rohan

Apr 3 2013, 5:45pm

Post #16 of 21 (204 views)
Shortcut
Maybe they go in the house two time, we saw the second one ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or maybe the scene of their arrival will happen in the garden and only after they would go all at once in there ? I don't have muche hope but there are still possibilities that this scene is kept in the movie.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Apr 3 2013, 5:46pm

Post #17 of 21 (202 views)
Shortcut
Bah! I suppose... [In reply to] Can't Post

one could cling to the hope that the behind-the-scenes footage was what was shot originally for the 2-film version of AUJ...and that they might re-do the scene in pick-ups during the next batch of shooting?

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Kirly
Lorien

Apr 3 2013, 5:47pm

Post #18 of 21 (203 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it would be redundant [In reply to] Can't Post

And there would be alot of complaining that it was a rerun of the Dwarves arrival at Bag End.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

imin
Valinor

Apr 3 2013, 6:42pm

Post #19 of 21 (178 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

For 2 films it wouldn't work, but for 3 films with a year in between it is a nice and natural time to give the audience a gentle reminder of who all the dwarves are without it seeming too forced.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Apr 3 2013, 7:56pm

Post #20 of 21 (151 views)
Shortcut
Isnt the barrel scene being [In reply to] Can't Post

turned into another action OTT scene? I saw Thorin holding a green screened sword while inside a barrel..Unimpressed

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

jtarkey
Rohan

Apr 3 2013, 8:18pm

Post #21 of 21 (148 views)
Shortcut
Oh Lord... [In reply to] Can't Post

Can we assume, at this point, that every great character scene will be replaced by roller coaster action sequences? I'm kind of glad my expectations for this trilogy have lowered so dramatically...

Who knows. Maybe they shot a few versions of them entering Beorns? Probably wishful thinking, but at least it's a possibility. I hope brainless action doesn't end up defining these movies.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.