Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What did they get right?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

imin
Valinor

Apr 3 2013, 11:50pm

Post #101 of 111 (168 views)
Shortcut
They are better but still not that great [In reply to] Can't Post

Something like this is more wolf like and they look demonic and evil!

http://community.imaginefx.com/...g_Riders_Jackdaw.jpg

On another point it would have been nice to see the Wargs act independently of the Orcs for a couple of scenes.

Loresilme
Valinor

Apr 4 2013, 10:18pm

Post #102 of 111 (127 views)
Shortcut
I thought the smoke ring changing into a butterfly was inspired [In reply to] Can't Post

I found that to be so charming. It made the transition into the flashback so natural, it fit right into the story and set the tone perfectly.

I also still am amazed at how well the Blunt the Knives scene was done. The way they filmed it, how they captured the tosses and catches, their expressions, playing instruments, etc. was all perfect. That was one scene from the book - dwarves singing while they cleaned dishes - that I really didn't think could be pulled off on-screen in a way that would be enjoyable for adults as well as children. I was so pleasantly surprised, that somehow they did it, they totally nailed it.

The entrance of each of the dwarves - Dwalin ("Do I know you?" *makes face* "Pfft... no.") - Balin ("Good evening." "Yes 'tis, though I think it might rain later.") - Kili & Fili ("You must be Mr Boggins!") and then the rest of them arriving in a group, and then Thorin, alone, with his fur trimmed coat and intimidating presence. I thought the introductions were paced well, and that each of their brief introductory lines very efficiently & comically conveyed what their characters were like. Not a wasted line, word or gesture.

I think I know what you mean about the first glimpse of the trolls. Up to that point the story's been more or less set in ordinary settings - even though we've seen a dragon in a flashback, in the present they're all traveling through what appears to be the regular world, when all of a sudden in the woods behind them ambles a huge troll nonchalantly carrying two ponies under his arms :-). It was a great way to introduce that element of fairy tale into the story.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Apr 4 2013, 10:31pm

Post #103 of 111 (115 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

The wargs, while not totally perfect, at least looked like canines this time around.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 4 2013, 11:32pm

Post #104 of 111 (165 views)
Shortcut
I don't know... [In reply to] Can't Post

I still prefer the TT wargs-- not very Tolkien i suppose, but still cool. I liked the wargs in the AUJ scroll (from EW magazine), they looked great i thought. But the ones that ended up in the movie looked kind of like a cross between that and the old ones, and they ended up not looking like much of anything. I don't dislike them i guess, they just don't do anything for me. Which is unusual for a creature in Jackson's Middle-earth, where i've loved pretty much every single other creature design. Can't win 'em all i guess.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 4 2013, 11:41pm

Post #105 of 111 (110 views)
Shortcut
The following perhaps, because [In reply to] Can't Post

the actual noses and nostrils are more properly lupine, and more shaggy hair with a grey or black dominant pallette, but otherwise I thought these were very good and a VAST design improvement over the "hynena with downsyndrome" look of TTT

http://content6.flixster.com/...3/84/4573840_std.jpg

This one has a lurking malice almost akin to the menace of the dragon. http://fc03.deviantart.net/...mork_by_Glad_Sad.jpg

THIS original concept art would have been PERFECT if given hyper-realistic cgi flesh and hair etc. http://media.comicbookmovie.com/...oads/10300/warg2.png

In Reply To
Something like this is more wolf like and they look demonic and evil!

http://community.imaginefx.com/...g_Riders_Jackdaw.jpg

On another point it would have been nice to see the Wargs act independently of the Orcs for a couple of scenes.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 4 2013, 11:42pm

Post #106 of 111 (103 views)
Shortcut
Exactly my thought. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The wargs, while not totally perfect, at least looked like canines this time around.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 4 2013, 11:44pm

Post #107 of 111 (102 views)
Shortcut
I hated the TTT wargs. HATED them. [In reply to] Can't Post

They looked so much more like hyena than wolves of any sort I was inclined to wonder whether the team had actually read any of the passages about what wargs were. At least these looked like demonic wolves. They could have stood more fur, and darker, and perhaps more CG rendering in some places, but in the main they worked as evil wolf monsters, looking at least as wolf like in the face as most movie werewolves. The TTT wargs. . . well, they were not wargs, really. I was very thankful they were changed.

In Reply To
I still prefer the TT wargs-- not very Tolkien i suppose, but still cool. I liked the wargs in the AUJ scroll (from EW magazine), they looked great i thought. But the ones that ended up in the movie looked kind of like a cross between that and the old ones, and they ended up not looking like much of anything. I don't dislike them i guess, they just don't do anything for me. Which is unusual for a creature in Jackson's Middle-earth, where i've loved pretty much every single other creature design. Can't win 'em all i guess.

imin
Valinor

Apr 5 2013, 12:39am

Post #108 of 111 (98 views)
Shortcut
Any of the ones you selected are better [In reply to] Can't Post

than what we got in the film, though like you they are an improvement on TTT wargs but that ain't saying much as they looked terrible!

I just don't understand why they didnt go that little stage further and make them look more canine/wolf like. Oh well doesn't matter really. I liked certain things about them such as their glistening gingiva, lol and the fur looked good - hopefully they got a look at LoP to see how its done though Tongue

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 5 2013, 12:50am

Post #109 of 111 (95 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

that they weren't Tolkien at all, and not wolf like. But, to me anyway, they looked cool, appropriately ferocious and wild, and got the job done (i'm aware that they're not very popular). That's why i was so excited when i saw the wargs in the scroll-- they looked really cool and very Tolkien-- very wolf-like and sinister. But the ones we actually got in AUJ are worse than both of them. Sure, they look canine, but that's about it. They look very generic and featureless. But, like i said above, they don't look bad, so it's not a deal breaker (like Azog), but it is disappointing.

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 5 2013, 1:08am

Post #110 of 111 (125 views)
Shortcut
Wargs [In reply to] Can't Post

While the ones in TTT didn't look like wolves I did like how they looked as well. I have the Gothmog statue from The Lord of the Rings statue line and my favorite part of it is the Warg. I do like the wargs in The Hobbit more though because they are closer to the source.

Yngwulff
Gondor

Apr 13 2013, 3:49am

Post #111 of 111 (85 views)
Shortcut
Gambling and other stuff [In reply to] Can't Post

When the dwarves were paying off each other when the bet on whether Bilbo would show up.

Thought Radaghast was great, especially when he went from hermit bungler to having a lucid moment showing he actually was one of the Five.

When Elrond was checking out Ocrist and Glamdring and Balin says to Bilbo "Thats really just a letter opener".

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.