Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Interview with Sylvester McCoy

Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2013, 8:47pm

Post #1 of 11 (713 views)
Interview with Sylvester McCoy Can't Post

Apr 3 2013, 12:02am

Post #2 of 11 (284 views)
What a nice interview! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for posting the link. I loved how he described the differences between film and theater in terms of painting techniques. And he "can't say" whether his work on TH is finished yet -- love the mystery! I'm so looking forward to more Radagast.

...one morning long ago in the quiet of the world, when there was less noise and more green... The Hobbit

Apr 3 2013, 12:07am

Post #3 of 11 (303 views)
Am I the only one [In reply to] Can't Post

that didn't know he was auditioned to play Bilbo? O_O

Grey Havens

Apr 3 2013, 12:59am

Post #4 of 11 (267 views)
Fluff [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish they asked him about Radagast's more controversial characterizations such as crossing eyes, blowing smoke through ears, and the bird poop.

Instead all we got was "You seem to be having a great deal of fun with the character from what we saw though." Softball! And it goes on about hip replacement in the same breath. What's that got to do with it?

The Rabbit Chase was less about the actor and more about Peter, so I wouldn't expect a review of that from Sylvester. I'd ask Peter how he felt about it now.

Apr 3 2013, 1:23am

Post #5 of 11 (254 views)
He almost got the part too! [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems there was a time when Ian Holm was close to not doing it, and McCoy was Peter's second choice for Bilbo! He was apparently on standby for a while.

Tol Eressea

Apr 3 2013, 1:27am

Post #6 of 11 (245 views)
You meant "Fluffy", of course. [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually enjoyed the bunnies (not the poo), and I refer you to my recent post on mixing magic and rabbits and other movie makers.

Impertinent question about the hips. It does get mighty chaotic in Middle-earth, but I assume McCoy is well looked after.

Tol Eressea

Apr 3 2013, 1:29am

Post #7 of 11 (237 views)
Ditto. [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved how he described the differences between film and theater in terms of painting techniques.

Apr 3 2013, 6:02pm

Post #8 of 11 (153 views)
I LOVED the bunny sled ! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was one of the best creations for the movie and seemed a quite appropriate method of transportation for an animal-obsessed Maia.

Apr 3 2013, 6:09pm

Post #9 of 11 (145 views)
Oh my! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm behind, that's something I would normally know about. How crazy! I wonder how Bilbo's character would have played out as McCoy playing him.

Grey Havens

Apr 3 2013, 6:32pm

Post #10 of 11 (149 views)
Animals [In reply to] Can't Post

Horses are animals.

Crickets are animals too, so I guess we should feel lucky he didn't have giant crickets.

Apr 4 2013, 6:41pm

Post #11 of 11 (120 views)
I loved the rabbits too [In reply to] Can't Post

Mom brought the Disney feeling home when she said Is that Thumper? (The rabbit who talked...). Your link is great.

And the interview line about an old hippie with new hips - cute.

Sylvester really made the movie for me, especially since he really kept the children's story vibe. I know some don't like Raddy, the rabbits etc., but he made the so much fun for me that I could pretty much forgive most other quibbles (still not fond of the bird poop), but that is it when it comes to Radagast.

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.