Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Is this Narzug?

Lio
Lorien

Apr 2 2013, 12:13am

Post #1 of 15 (1272 views)
Shortcut
Is this Narzug? Can't Post

In the recent DoS preview there was a brief scene with the Mirkwood Elves and a captured Orc. Thinking he looked familiar (and having nothing better to do Tongue), I finally figured out who he reminded me of. Could it be Narzug, an Orc who had a miniature figure made but didn't appear in AUJ? Although the screenshot is blurry, he seems to be wearing the same clothes and also has some white markings similar to the figure. Just compare these images:

What does everyone think?

Orcs are mammals!

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

cats16
Valinor

Apr 2 2013, 12:34am

Post #2 of 15 (621 views)
Shortcut
I think you're onto something here [In reply to] Can't Post

I had seen character Narzug mentioned somewhere, but couldn't remember where I came across it. But I'm in agreement with you. I also noticed this orc in the clip and I tried to get a look at his face (but of course I couldn't). Interesting that Thranduil seems to be overseeing some sort of execution/interrogation that's about to happen. I wonder how this fits in with the Company...

On a side note, and because we're talking about DOS (although I don't want to deviate too far from your post), I noticed something Spoiler-ish when re-watching the vlogs on Youtube.

I can't remember which vlog it is, but they actually show us Bilbo's scene in Mirkwood when he looks over the treetops across the forest. I was shocked to see this! I guess, when I saw the vlog originally, it didn't stand out to me. I hope no one's mentioned this already and I'm just restating a commonly-known fact, but I wanted to throw it out there either way.

Obviously, don't watch it if you didn't see it before and don't want to have any idea what it will look like.

But to get back to your post, Lio, I do wonder if Narzug will be part of Azog's clan or will be working for Bolg. I'm really curious to see what he's all about. (Oops, just read the paragraph right below the acion figure picture. Well now I'm guessing he's chummy with Azog. Gah, if I could only learn to look at the rest of the pageBlush )

(This post was edited by cats16 on Apr 2 2013, 12:39am)

thorinoakenshield
Rivendell

Apr 2 2013, 7:31pm

Post #3 of 15 (338 views)
Shortcut
I noticed the Bilbo tree scene too [In reply to] Can't Post

I kinda wished I hadn't seen it, I wanted to be surprised in theaters. Back to the original topic, I agree that the two orcs are probably the same.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Apr 2 2013, 9:09pm

Post #4 of 15 (302 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

From the rather vague image I would say that is indeed Narzug-but GW made up characters for their LotR game so it wouldn't surprise me if he is both non-Tolkien canon and non-PJ canon.

"True courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one."

Lio
Lorien

Apr 3 2013, 12:48am

Post #5 of 15 (287 views)
Shortcut
Mirkwood goings-on [In reply to] Can't Post

I do wonder what part the whole Orcs versus Elves in Mirkwood will play in the story. What kind of information does Thranduil hope to get from the captured Orc? I think there must be some connection to Dol Guldur, since it actually poses a threat to the Elves' realm. I don't think Thranduil would concern himself so much with just any Orc band hunting Dwarves in the woods.

As for Bilbo in the treetops, I recall seeing a picture of it a while back! But it was just a single shot, so not too spoilerish and didn't give too much away about what the scene will be like. I'm glad that it made it in, it's quite a memorable moment in the book!

Orcs are mammals!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Apr 3 2013, 3:46am

Post #6 of 15 (270 views)
Shortcut
Actor Ben Mitchell has been attached to the role of Narzug however... [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally, I'm not looking forward to our heroes torturing people - even Orcs. It's too 24/Dark Knight/unpleasant.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 3 2013, 3:51am

Post #7 of 15 (277 views)
Shortcut
Love the screen cap! [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't get to see the event, so thanks for linking to that screen cap. I love the look of Thranduil, unless maybe that's not Thranduil. There doesn't seem to be a crown. Good to see another shot of Tauriel, too!

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall. As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last. For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive." -Arwen

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 3 2013, 12:34pm

Post #8 of 15 (222 views)
Shortcut
It does seem like someone [In reply to] Can't Post

stops Tauriel when she tries to give the orc death. It doesn't seem to me that torture is involved.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Apr 3 2013, 1:32pm

Post #9 of 15 (230 views)
Shortcut
I don't think Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

is supposed to be a hero, maybe some sort of Anti-hero maybe but I' don't think we'll be considering him a very good guy. I think if anything he'll be presented as sort neutral just looking out for his own people. I'm hoping the elven torture scene doesn't replace Beorn investigating the truth about where the dwarfs have been like in the book.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Apr 3 2013, 4:42pm

Post #10 of 15 (220 views)
Shortcut
Legolas appears to be throttling the Orc while it's questioned [In reply to] Can't Post

so "torture", "excessive interrogation", same area. I'm not looking forward to Beorn "torturing and killing" an Orc (probably not Azog) in film 2 either, and still dislike Faramir allowing his men to beat Gollum in TTT (which was significantly trimmed down, and still way too much). IMO the Free Peoples (even a more sinister Elf as Lee Pace has apparently created), shouldn't share methods with Sauron.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 3 2013, 5:23pm

Post #11 of 15 (193 views)
Shortcut
Oh, well i'm not sure what that scene is then. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've only watched the sneak peek once. Now i have a reason to watch it again.

Lio
Lorien

Apr 3 2013, 11:24pm

Post #12 of 15 (168 views)
Shortcut
I got it from the 6-minute excerpt [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't get to see the live sneak peek either, I actually took this screen cap from the short excerpt that was posted recently. It's up on the main page, here's the link in case you missed it! Smile

Orcs are mammals!

Lio
Lorien

Apr 3 2013, 11:34pm

Post #13 of 15 (167 views)
Shortcut
I don't think there will be torture of Orcs [In reply to] Can't Post

At least, it hasn't been confirmed. I think the Beorn thing is a rumour based on some old comments from the actor about being involved with a torture scene. However to me it sounded more like Beorn is the one being tortured. (Maybe by Bolg?)

Also in the scene with the Orc and Tauriel, Legolas seems to be holding a knife to the Orc's throat. Not sure if I would consider this torture, since it might be the only way to get the Orc to stay put given the circumstances. Then again, we don't really know the context of the scene.

Orcs are mammals!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 4 2013, 8:12pm

Post #14 of 15 (146 views)
Shortcut
Well I watched the preview [In reply to] Can't Post

But I don't remember seeing this shot. It must have been a pretty quick one. Thanks for grabbing the screen cap!

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall. As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last. For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive." -Arwen

Rostron2
Gondor

Apr 11 2013, 6:21pm

Post #15 of 15 (95 views)
Shortcut
Yeah these kinds of things [In reply to] Can't Post

Just bother me. Elves interrogations -- we just don't need to see that. It kinda reduces them to D&D elves. Beorn torturing orcs, I think these are all better left to the imagination.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.