Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The 'I like Azog' thread.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Kullervo
Rivendell

Apr 1 2013, 7:28pm

Post #26 of 47 (297 views)
Shortcut
I enjoyed Azog [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought Azog was (and hopefully will be) a great, or at least a good villain, for a couple reasons.

1. I though his design was very cool and quite inspired. I actually think he is the best designed orc villain in all of the middle earth movies. He doesn't just look like a random, generic orc, but has a lot of character and personality to his look, and yet teh desing is quite simple and doesn't go over the top. I've never understood the critisism of bad cgi either. I thought it looked good, at least good enough that it never took me out of the movie. Maybe it's not quite up there with Gollum, but nothing except Gollum ever has been, so I think I can forgive that.

2. He ties the story in AUJ together. Without Azog the movie would have felt much more like a series of random obstacles. Now, Iknow that that's pretty much how the books is, but it just works much better in a book, when each chapter can be seen as almost like a separate bedtime story for a child. And I'm not bothered by the fact that Azog in AUJ is not canon either. Nothing in any of the films is canon. They are a completely separate entity from the books, and the most important thing to me is that they are good enjoyable films. And, to me, if you would take out Azog from AUJ the movie would suffer.

Maybe the only critisism that I can relate to is that Azog never really does anything that interesting in the movie. He's just kind of there. But he's just kind of there in a pretty awesome way, being all evil and cool and villainy.Wink And I do hope he'll get more interesting things to do in the next two movies.

axecrazy
Rivendell

Apr 1 2013, 7:39pm

Post #27 of 47 (278 views)
Shortcut
*hugs Kullervo in a manly way and then quickly steps back*// [In reply to] Can't Post

Azog: Defiling since 2790

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 1 2013, 8:01pm

Post #28 of 47 (279 views)
Shortcut
really like him too [In reply to] Can't Post

and I think a lot of people would have found AUJ kind of bland without him as much as they hate it with him, because he intensifies the scenes more. I really enjoy him as a villain.

Kullervo
Rivendell

Apr 1 2013, 8:01pm

Post #29 of 47 (271 views)
Shortcut
:) *hugs back while holding a bottle of beer in one hand to appear more manly* [In reply to] Can't Post

Kullervo
Rivendell

Apr 1 2013, 8:25pm

Post #30 of 47 (266 views)
Shortcut
Exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it was absolutely a necessity for AUJ to have a constant evil presence chasing the company throughout the various obstacles. If it wasn't him it would have had to have been someone else, but I thought Azog filled that role very well.

(This post was edited by Kullervo on Apr 1 2013, 8:27pm)

axecrazy
Rivendell

Apr 1 2013, 8:29pm

Post #31 of 47 (258 views)
Shortcut
have that beer on me [In reply to] Can't Post

I also thought his voice was very well done. I mean Thorin is loud, but Azog is a lot bigger and his voice just booms without effort. The roars and growls he puts out are extremely unsettling.... very inhuman. Azog can easily drown out Thorin on his best day.

And thanks to all the other users who have put in a positive word for my favourite Orc. I appreciate it, and will now hold my peace the subject. Smile

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Apr 1 2013, 8:53pm

Post #32 of 47 (248 views)
Shortcut
Liked Azog too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, actually, I hated him, he is an evil Orc and almost killed Thorin, but you know what I mean. Wink He was an *excellent* evil orc. I liked his design, he had a lot of physical presence and the blue eyes were unsettling. In short, he was great and I would not mind seeing more of him in the rest of the series.

axecrazy
Rivendell

Apr 1 2013, 9:15pm

Post #33 of 47 (239 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the eyes [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder what prompted that decision. Azog's appearance suggests he is of the race of Men, but as soon as he starts moving and talking... it's all Orc. That in itself is unsettling. Not that I believe he has any blood of Men in him, though. I think he's just a freak among Orcs. But it does make me wonder about his origins... where did this guy come from? I guess we'll never know. It's not necessary to know. He looks and sounds the part of a 'uber evil Orc', and that's all that really matters.

Spaldron
Rivendell

Apr 1 2013, 9:28pm

Post #34 of 47 (223 views)
Shortcut
Just to reiterate.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I didn't start this as an April fools thread, just poor timing on my part. I'm deadly serious about liking Azog and I gather everyone has their opinions but don't you think it's a little premature to call him the most hated character in The Hobbit when we've only seen Film 1?

Probably not the best day to start a "I like the most hated character of The Hobbit" thread.

"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities."

Lio
Lorien

Apr 1 2013, 9:34pm

Post #35 of 47 (233 views)
Shortcut
White Warg [In reply to] Can't Post

A description on one of the toy sets (Lego, I think) mentions that the "White Warg" is a she. But she hasn't been given a name as far as I know. Me, I call her Cupcake.

Oh, and I'll be sure to pass on your advice to my mom. Laugh

Orcs are mammals!

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

Lio
Lorien

Apr 1 2013, 9:47pm

Post #36 of 47 (211 views)
Shortcut
Azog's Voice [In reply to] Can't Post

I like his voice too! It sounds strong and characteristic but it's not the generic deep villain voice. (To see what I mean, listen to Lurtz. Yeah, I know he only has like two lines. Laugh)

Plus I love the Orkish! C'mon, don't tell me you don't want to hit the streets and yell "GURIDUUUM" at the traffic.

I've also been wondering who Azog's voice actor is, but I don't think it's credited. I hope PJ or someone will bring this up in the EE commentary.

Orcs are mammals!

cats16
Valinor

Apr 1 2013, 9:49pm

Post #37 of 47 (205 views)
Shortcut
Is it not Manu Bennett? [In reply to] Can't Post

I figure it was his voice used, but obviously with some effects and alterations done to give it better quality.

But did a voice actor do it instead?

Lio
Lorien

Apr 1 2013, 9:55pm

Post #38 of 47 (197 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's exactly the reason I like him too. He's not a minion to some Dark Lord, he's his own boss. It's possible they'll establish some connection to the Necromancer in the later movies because of the whole Bolg at Dol Guldur thing, though I really hope Azog maintains his independence. In the meantime, his defiling days ain't done yet. Cool

Orcs are mammals!

Lio
Lorien

Apr 1 2013, 9:59pm

Post #39 of 47 (192 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, no idea [In reply to] Can't Post

I just assumed that because he's essentially an animated character, he'd have his own voice actor with lines recorded separately from the physical acting. Also I think many (most? all?) of the Orcs from the original trilogy had separate voice actors from the ones doing the acting in prosthetics.

Orcs are mammals!

axecrazy
Rivendell

Apr 1 2013, 10:04pm

Post #40 of 47 (194 views)
Shortcut
Ah... [In reply to] Can't Post

So the white warg is a she. *feels smug* It would be cool if she had a name. Someone needs to get on the line with PJ and get that info out of him pronto. Cupcake is nice.... but not Orcish enough for my tastes. Crazy

It's the truth...about bad boys, I mean. And bad girls for that matter. They're interesting from a distance, but you wouldn't want to know any of them personally. Tim Burton's Batman and Catwoman come to mind as good examples in the same movie. They're cool, but not the sort of people you want to meet in a dark alley. Evil And Azog? Don't even go there...Crazy

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Apr 1 2013, 10:04pm

Post #41 of 47 (199 views)
Shortcut
Origin of Orcs [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the possible origins of Orcs in Tolkien's mythology was that they came from Elves that were tortured and twisted into Orcs by Morgoth. Azog's eyes worked well for me because it made me think of this theory.

Lio
Lorien

Apr 2 2013, 12:33am

Post #42 of 47 (159 views)
Shortcut
Maybe we can settle for a compromise... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and have the Warg's name be whatever "cupcake" is in Orkish. Laugh

Speaking of cupcakes, even bad boy Azog has a gentle, sensitive side! (Don't ask how I find this stuff. Crazy)

Orcs are mammals!

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2013, 2:38am

Post #43 of 47 (159 views)
Shortcut
i'm pretty sure that is the explanation [In reply to] Can't Post

orcs have similar features of elves, their ears, facial structures.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

adnan
Rivendell

Apr 2 2013, 5:44pm

Post #44 of 47 (111 views)
Shortcut
He was just fine... [In reply to] Can't Post

He brought the required ferocity, seemed intimidating, and his CGI was excellent in my opinion. I can see an argument that he could be designed differently or whatever, but I really don't see his CGI as a rush job; it's really well done. That said, I am realy looking forward to how they present Bolg.

Rivendell

axecrazy
Rivendell

Apr 2 2013, 6:12pm

Post #45 of 47 (102 views)
Shortcut
I was watching AUJ on blu-ray a few hours ago. [In reply to] Can't Post

And of course when my favourite Orc comes on screen, I can't resist letting my funny bone take over. For some reason Micheal Jackson's Thriller started playing in my head. I decided to mute the sound and play the song while jumping to all the Azog scenes. Cool I think it works pretty well. And then Azog doing the the moonwalk just popped into my twisted imagination. Laugh I cackled madly for about five minutes. Ah, this guy entertains the heck out of me. I think he'd make for the best pop star/rapper/rock star in Middle-earth's history. Just thought I'd shere this last bit of sickness on the I love Azog thread. Azog rules. Don't anyone ever forget it. Evil

Lio
Lorien

Apr 3 2013, 12:34am

Post #46 of 47 (86 views)
Shortcut
Weird coincidence [In reply to] Can't Post

Today I was thinking about ideas for Azog fanart and him doing the moonwalk suddenly popped into my head. Random? Or... psychic?! Dum dum duuuum!

And who says Azog can't be a music star? If they can give the Dwarves and even the Goblin King a song to sing then Azog should have one too! Plus I can totally see him busting out some mad dance moves to complement his gangsta defiling skillz.

Orcs are mammals!

ltnjmy
Rivendell

Apr 3 2013, 5:56pm

Post #47 of 47 (83 views)
Shortcut
Origin of Orcs/I Like Azog [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the character of Azog in A.U.J. was great - especially the riveting eyes and voice.Smile

Every time I watch his interaction with Thorin - it is quite fascinating - the mutual stare down between the two. Awesome.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.