Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Spoilers ahead.RA's climactic scene.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 1 2013, 6:15pm

Post #76 of 85 (208 views)
Shortcut
That was hysterical... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The one with Serkis that was funny is the one where the interviewer asked Martin to do the gollum impression (instead of Andy) and they were being interviewed together. Now that was a good twist on the normal question and Martin's attempt to go Gollum is completely hilarious.

Easily the funniest thing to come out of all the AUJ press. I think it was one of those things for Cinemax, where they get two stars form a movie, and they interview each other. 60 Seconds or something.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 1 2013, 6:23pm

Post #77 of 85 (210 views)
Shortcut
here it is [In reply to] Can't Post

For the fun of it, that particular part starts at 0:45

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 1 2013, 7:12pm

Post #78 of 85 (188 views)
Shortcut
That's it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Too funny! Thanks for that.

Here's what i was thinking of...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNZCSGcU1MA

and

http://www.youtube.com/...eLIK-DREmJA&NR=1

...not nearly as funny, but pretty entertaining nonetheless.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 1 2013, 8:16pm

Post #79 of 85 (177 views)
Shortcut
:D [In reply to] Can't Post

No problem! The link I posted I actually have never seen before (the whole interview), I had only seen the Gollum voice clip.

And i love those 60 second interviews! It's funny how Freeman is so sarcastic and blunt, and Armitage tries to remain composed, hahahaha

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 1 2013, 11:33pm

Post #80 of 85 (151 views)
Shortcut
Those are so funny! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks so much for posting the links, both of you. Sly

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2013, 2:08am

Post #81 of 85 (164 views)
Shortcut
i used to do interviews / press junkets for films [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
One of my huge pet peeves with interviewers and especially of something like The Hobbit is they all ask the same, canned repeated questions. I don't know how many times Martin Freeman has been asked "Were you nervous about taking on the Hobbit role" or a similar type question. The first 3 or 4 times fine. But after that, come on. Ask some original questions already.

The guy from Collider does an outstanding job and my take is he has asked the different questions. Empire mag also did a pretty good job as well. I get that these interviews are meant to be aired to a local or regional audience many times but it just gets old.

So yeah, ask some questions that are unique, thought provoking and interesting.

i used to do interviews / press junkets for films. they are a lot of fun, and you're right, a lot of interviewers aren't very thoughtful with their questions. they don't read previous interviews or they just don't think deeply about what they're asking.

however,

i will also add that i often had to ask questions that i thought were really commonplace, because someone over me made the argument that that's what our particular audience wanted to know. so, sometimes i was stuck asking basic things.

but i did work hard to maneuver in unusual questions, and i was often successful.

and those press junkets must be terribly, terribly boring for a lot of the talent after a while. they do get the same questions asked, over and over. and for the good part of a day they are usually stuck in a room while interviewers file in. but it's part of the job.

some of them were wonderfully gracious. some did not like being there. and sometimes some of them were just having a bad day, it seemed. i had a couple that were wonderful off-camera, very conversational, but when the actual interview started, they stiffened up and became unloquacious.

great experience. and much fun.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

Ececheira
Bree

Apr 2 2013, 12:19pm

Post #82 of 85 (150 views)
Shortcut
RA acting [In reply to] Can't Post

That's weird, because I thought he did a superb job with that scene and it gives me huge confidence in his performance as Thorin.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2013, 2:15pm

Post #83 of 85 (116 views)
Shortcut
Good insight [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your insight as someone who has done it. Yes that was pretty much my thought: That is, for the interviewer it's fine and yes some of the questions the readers want asked and answered even though they have been a million times. I get that. I also can see how it would be terribly grueling for the actors/actresses especially, as you say, if they have had a bad day. I would hate being in a room for hours on end giving interview after interview and answering the same questions over and over. It would get tiring.

Interestingly enough Freeman was on radio yesterday in the UK and talked about it briefly. It is not his favorite thing but he does recognize that it's part of the job and he has to do it. I liked the fact that the two ladies asked him about the press junkets and how he felt about them. Given that it was radio they also had the leeway to ask him some interesting questions overall. Press junkets are there to promote the film so the question time is limited and the questions more framed around that.

Like I said in TH press junkets there were a few interviewers who I thought did an oustanding job. The guy from Collider and The Empire Mag. Both were excellent and asked good questions. Both of them interestingly enough I think did background on Martin. Both of them opened with an icebreaker type question geared to get him to relax a little and in both cases it worked. The key is to know who you are interviewing and to tailor your interview to that person I think.

Thanks again for the insight. That was very helpful.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2013, 2:41pm

Post #84 of 85 (105 views)
Shortcut
my pleasure : ) [In reply to] Can't Post

my pleasure. : )

i'll also add, that i was very grateful when someone i was interviewing was a natural talker, going on and on, even if my question was brief. reason being, the more raw response / raw material you received, the more room you had to edit, and make the whole thing tight and interesting. sometimes the most interesting thing someone said was not in direct response to the question itself, but was an aside, a reminiscing.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2013, 2:55pm

Post #85 of 85 (119 views)
Shortcut
Yes i agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I can see that would help. If all they do is answer the question at hand it makes it much harder. That's why I appreciate it when they use an icebreaker or a more open ended question to start so that they can get the person going. This is especially true if you are down the list as an interviewer and the person has been in the room for hours already answering questions by the time you get there. You can really tell the ones that are good interviewers. They know what they're doing. I know it's a tough job but I really appreciate it when you get a good interviewer who at least tries to get the interview going in a unique direction. It's not always possible but Iike you said you can weave in questions. I think a lot of these press junkets though the interviewers aren't trained that well and I also think it really helps if you have some personal background on the person you are interviewing. If you know the person you are interviewing then you know their likes/dislikes and frame questions better in my opinion. I know it's not always possible but it helps I think.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.