Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Watched it with my nephews and niece
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2013, 7:59pm

Post #26 of 47 (302 views)
Shortcut
dawgs... [In reply to] Can't Post

one of mine, a 70 lb Siberianhusky/Shepherd mix is named Legolas...because my friend's favorite Siberian was named Strider. One other "Strider" lives at Winterdance kennel in Ontario Canada and has run the Iditarod and Yukon Quest. I won't even go into the horses, cats, van, and kayaks named from Middle Earth... I did name a pgymy (dwarf) goat Gimli once...

So great to hear the chip the dishes tale! I always figured that was a song everyon knew (like the happy birthday song) and would sing at any house they were partying at, just inserting Name of Present Host.

Go outside and play...

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Mar 30 2013, 8:43pm

Post #27 of 47 (307 views)
Shortcut
This is Why [In reply to] Can't Post

I can put up with the things in AUJ I don't care for, because I know they are there for the kids. It is very, and I mean very, difficult to produce anything that has appea across a broad age range. PJ tried that in AUJ -- he did not try for it in LOTR. LOTR is more appealing to adults because it is a more adult set of films. TH is going to continue to have the "glitches" of kids' stuff inserted into an adult story. Every thing I like least about AUJ is something kids appear to love. I can live with that. Especially if it encourages kids to read Tolkien.

ShireHorse
Rohan

Mar 30 2013, 8:56pm

Post #28 of 47 (290 views)
Shortcut
Exactly, Idril. Well said! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I can put up with the things in AUJ I don't care for, because I know they are there for the kids. It is very, and I mean very, difficult to produce anything that has appeal across a broad age range. PJ tried that in AUJ -- he did not try for it in LOTR. LOTR is more appealing to adults because it is a more adult set of films. TH is going to continue to have the "glitches" of kids' stuff inserted into an adult story. Every thing I like least about AUJ is something kids appear to love. I can live with that. Especially if it encourages kids to read Tolkien.

PJ only had to appeal to one type of audience in LotR. When I was rolling my eyes in The Hobbit, but at the same time noticing that the children around me were laughing their heads off, I suddenly realised what an enormously difficult thing it was to direct this story. PJ had to walk a very fine line and, in the main, I think he did it. I think that, with these films, we shall have a whole new gang of young Tolkien fans in the making.

Lio
Lorien

Mar 30 2013, 10:38pm

Post #29 of 47 (269 views)
Shortcut
That's awesome and adorable! [In reply to] Can't Post

I always love reading things like this! Blush

What's interesting is that some things they liked (troll snot scene, Radagast, Stone Giants) seem to get a lot of hate from some fans. That's why I try to be positive even when there's something I didn't care for much — it might be someone's favourite part!

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 31 2013, 7:46am

Post #30 of 47 (233 views)
Shortcut
So true. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thank you so much for sharing that. I just love seeing movies through the eyes of kids. They truly are amazing. I'm glad they liked it and even more importantly that you got to share it with them!

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 31 2013, 7:50am

Post #31 of 47 (244 views)
Shortcut
Amen. I thank God every time I have a burst of childlike wonder and, yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

the lack of jaded cynicism that allows for it. It is not a thing to be mocked Sauget. It may be the heart of joy.

In Reply To
you will realize what you have lost.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 31 2013, 7:54am

Post #32 of 47 (243 views)
Shortcut
I hear you. But there is a special power in those who can find and enjoy [In reply to] Can't Post

the wonder in virtually all things. It is MUCH more potent, and has a value beyond the sense of superiority and perhaps even many of the insights one gleans from high minded critiques and commentaries. I am reminded of a quote about a certain Wizard you may know. . . that it seemed there was, within him, a mirth that might set a whole kingdom laughing were it to flow over. And consider old Bombadil. . . strange and childlike, but with such a power. . . and part of it from the very free spirited nature of him.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2013, 12:31pm

Post #33 of 47 (228 views)
Shortcut
Not mocking anything. [In reply to] Can't Post

And a sense of wonder and excitement at the world is an important part of anyone's personality, i would hope. But i wouldn't care to be around people who are only that. You should go back and read what i actually said, and what i was originally responding to, before writing me off as some heartless lost cause. I know how to have fun, i swear.

And i think it's funny that someone i've never met is cautioning me about what i have "lost".

By the way, i actually really enjoyed the OP, and thought it was funny and charming (and it was not what i was originally responding to).

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2013, 5:34pm

Post #34 of 47 (207 views)
Shortcut
Glad they enjoyed it so much [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully someday they will read Tolkien's books and enjoy middle earth all the more.

My children are older (19 and 16) and have been read, or have read, the Hobbit and LOTR books several times over the years, they enjoyed the films but have my dislike for the deviations. Which by the way was not my fault, they went with friends and not me to see the film.Wink I had to hear all my own complaints that I had, from them when they got home Laugh LOL Although my 19 year old was not as forgiving about the Goblin king design as I was

Neimod
The Shire

Mar 31 2013, 7:27pm

Post #35 of 47 (195 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think I'm only childlike and innocent (I should hope so, at least, I'm 30). But then, I don't think anyone is on this forum -- and hardly anyone above the age of 12 in Western Europe, where I come from. And the real wonder of films like these is that they allow us to bring out that quality of ourselves and I think it's an important thing to keep that innocent spirit when watching it because if you don't... Well, then, what's the point, really? I do not solely enjoy "The Hobbit" in a childlike way but also many other ways: linguistically, technologically, and in relation to deeper themes that are sometimes hidden beneath the surface BUT... First and foremost, to me at least, comes the pure and simple sense of wonder. And I am entirely unapologetic about that. I feel the same way about Star Wars, btw, but that's another discussion.

Luinnár
Rivendell

Mar 31 2013, 8:26pm

Post #36 of 47 (183 views)
Shortcut
That sounds awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish my family could do that... I am the youngest of nine and ever since age 5, I have been completely geeky about the hobbit and the lord of the rings. And I am even more geeky now that I am 15. Smile

bborchar
Rohan

Mar 31 2013, 11:54pm

Post #37 of 47 (185 views)
Shortcut
I watched it with my daughter... [In reply to] Can't Post

She's four years old now- so I did tell her to hide her eyes during some of the more violent or scarier parts. But she loved the eagles- and gollum (for some reason). She also really loved "Blunt the Knives". My son is only just one year old, so he doesn't really get it yet. But soon enough :)

They have not watched LotR because I deem it too scary for them. It'll probably be a few years, at least.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Apr 1 2013, 12:46am

Post #38 of 47 (174 views)
Shortcut
1 year old [In reply to] Can't Post

you can never start him too early anyways, my sons were mere babies when they first heard Tolkien whether they remember it or not Wink

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 1 2013, 2:20am

Post #39 of 47 (156 views)
Shortcut
I bet you could play the soundtracks [In reply to] Can't Post

to unborn babies instead of Mozart.

Or the audiobook, or even the great BBC radio dramas.

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Apr 1 2013, 6:08am

Post #40 of 47 (148 views)
Shortcut
Legolas must be a beautiful doggy. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a labrador named Samwise. Paws that are too big for the rest of the body; kind eyes and an altruistic soul. My pets usually live up to their names.

Gimli the dog is an excellent dog, all thanks to my Aunt who is brilliant at raising her pups.

"Eala Earendel engla beorhtast
ofer middangeard monnum sended."

"You think you world is safe? It is an illusion. A comforting lie told to protect you. Enjoy these final moments of peace. For I have returned to have my vengeance. So, shall we begin? " - John Harrison/Khan/Sherlock/Smaug (Star Trek: Into Darkness)

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Apr 1 2013, 7:12am

Post #41 of 47 (143 views)
Shortcut
Yor post reminded me of when I was a kid [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien's works have always been with me even though I didn't know it at the time. when I was really little about 5 or 6 I remember getting a book down from the shelf it was a small paperback book, I remember reading a small bit from it about Castles on hilltops and a big battle and getting this strange feeling from that. Anyway years later after LOTR came out I was becoming a fan of it I was online looking for some LOTR books and wouldn't you believe it I found the exact book I saw when I was a kid it was The Hobbit! I couldn't believe it, I anted to to let my nephews and nieces have that same feeling I got from picking up that mysterious book all those years ago

bborchar
Rohan

Apr 1 2013, 1:09pm

Post #42 of 47 (134 views)
Shortcut
We listen to a lot of soundtracks... [In reply to] Can't Post

Including LotR and TH. Lately we've gone back and forth with the Sherlock soundtracks and Les Miserables.

Yes, my 4-year old can sing "Look Down". I'm so proud.

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Apr 1 2013, 8:03pm

Post #43 of 47 (114 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for sharing,B-W.

Always great to hear from a child's perspective.

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2013, 11:03pm

Post #44 of 47 (99 views)
Shortcut
Love it [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, my 4-year old can sing "Look Down". I'm so proud.

that is awsome... My son was singing Metallica at 4, "Enter Sandman", my wife really hated me LOL

bborchar
Rohan

Apr 2 2013, 11:27pm

Post #45 of 47 (99 views)
Shortcut
Oh, it's wonderful.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...when she sings "Your here until you DIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEE!" very loudly when we are out in public XD. Lately, though, we've been watching Sherlock and listening to the music, so she's been singing "Sinnerman" (lyrics are probably not suitable for public consumption, either, lol). I never understood why people limit their children to "kid songs"- I can't stand listening to them over and over again, so I mix it up.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Apr 3 2013, 5:03am

Post #46 of 47 (88 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Sam fits a Lab wonderfully!

Go outside and play...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Apr 3 2013, 5:05am

Post #47 of 47 (131 views)
Shortcut
soundtracks.... [In reply to] Can't Post

finally got the whole Sherlock series (brilliant, my dear Watson)... and have been geeking out.

Noticed the soundtrack (I tend to be quite visual, not musical)... and suddenly thought of spaghetti westerns. I love the soundtrack, but it seems to have a slight echo of Clint Eastwood in there somewhere...

Martin Freeman better get an Oscar somewhere along hte line4... and Mr. Cumberbatch too.

Go outside and play...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.