Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
am i the only one who loved the stone giants?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2013, 12:07am

Post #51 of 69 (284 views)
Shortcut
Thought they were great but... [In reply to] Can't Post

just a bit OTT in TOO in your face. I think the design for them is great but it was unnecessary and IMO a poor decision to have the dwarves riding on one. They would have been much better in the background and left as they were in the book, instead of a major part of the action.

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 31 2013, 1:31am

Post #52 of 69 (258 views)
Shortcut
That's okay, [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm kind of hobbit-sized anyway. Cool

kbdiggity
Rivendell

Mar 31 2013, 4:57am

Post #53 of 69 (216 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad they were in the movies. I have always imagined what they looked like... ever since I was a little boy given a book from my dad.

I could have done without the dwarves riding the mountain stuff. But it didn't bother me that much.

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Mar 31 2013, 6:52pm

Post #54 of 69 (203 views)
Shortcut
This is how I feel about them [In reply to] Can't Post

Very glad they were included and the design was great including the environment, but didn't like them taking the Company for a ride. The impossibility here and on the falling bridge in Goblintown were cringe-worthy.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2013, 7:35pm

Post #55 of 69 (226 views)
Shortcut
Could not agree more. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Very glad they were included and the design was great including the environment, but didn't like them taking the Company for a ride. The impossibility here and on the falling bridge in Goblintown were cringe-worthy.

They took all the mystery and wonder of the scene in the book and turned it into another lame rollercoaster ride. When i heard after ComicCon that the scene would be included i couldn't have been happier-- it was a favorite of mine from when i first read the book. When i actually saw it, i almost had to avert my eyes.

And the less said about that bridge sequence, the better.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2013, 7:39pm

Post #56 of 69 (178 views)
Shortcut
Thought it was great seeing them but... [In reply to] Can't Post

when the dwarves started riding on one of them I reached for my barf bag on the side of the seat.Laugh Totally sickening

tarasaurus
Rohan

Mar 31 2013, 7:44pm

Post #57 of 69 (196 views)
Shortcut
It's as Gandalf says... [In reply to] Can't Post

"All good stories deserve embellishment!" Tongue

Luinnár
Rivendell

Mar 31 2013, 8:32pm

Post #58 of 69 (190 views)
Shortcut
I thought that part was compleatly awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was watching it with my older brothers and sister last night and they started criticizing that part and I totally chewed them out. (every one who has met me knows that the quickest way to get me mad is to criticize Tolkien's work)Wink

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2013, 9:50pm

Post #59 of 69 (209 views)
Shortcut
But its technically NOT Tolkien's work its Jackson's [In reply to] Can't Post

The stone giants were nothing more than beings in the background. Throwing boulders around. The dwarves were not riding on them or falling off cliff faces. It was merely raining with thunder and lightning with giant stones flying around. Causing the dwarves to seek shelter. Nothing more. Wink

Marionette
Rohan

Mar 31 2013, 9:57pm

Post #60 of 69 (194 views)
Shortcut
I love the Stone Giants [In reply to] Can't Post

I was surprised they were in the movie Smile

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

Luinnár
Rivendell

Mar 31 2013, 10:00pm

Post #61 of 69 (154 views)
Shortcut
You know what I mean. [In reply to] Can't Post

They were criticizing the whole idea of stone giants so it also included Tolkien's work. I enjoyed how P.J. put them in the movie almost as much as reading about them.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2013, 10:36pm

Post #62 of 69 (178 views)
Shortcut
I know.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have enjoyed them much more if they weren't some sort of amusement park ride... I thought they were really cool until the company started riding on one then they went to cheesy Unsure

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 1 2013, 3:20pm

Post #63 of 69 (121 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, the stone giants is a tough one... [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that part in the book, and i love how they, and the whole scene really, looks, i just think they totally botched the execution. Such a missed opportunity...

marillaraina
Rohan

Apr 1 2013, 10:55pm

Post #64 of 69 (109 views)
Shortcut
then again, I love cheese [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I would have enjoyed them much more if they weren't some sort of amusement park ride... I thought they were really cool until the company started riding on one then they went to cheesy Unsure

I didn't find it cheesy because IMO it wasn't played cheesy. I could feel the concern and fear the other dwarves had for their brothers and friends so IMO it was played as a true danger..

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2013, 3:49am

Post #65 of 69 (99 views)
Shortcut
Sure, the actors played it seriously, and they were fine. But that's not the issue. [In reply to] Can't Post

The issue is them riding around on that small ledge as the mountain itself punched, got punched, and fell back without any of them falling off, and that that stretched the bounds of believability so severely that it drained the whole scene of any tension it could've had. The whole thing is, to me anyway, beyond ridiculous. And it throws the rest of the film, and it's inherent believability, completely out of whack-- that these characters could actually be in peril, and are actually risking their lives by taking on this quest. It boggles my mind that anyone involved in the production thought that the company actually riding these huge (probably too huge) elemental forces was even close to being a good idea.

For me, this is where the film goes wrong, and it never really recovers.

I love the stone giants in the book. And the start of this scene looks and sounds fantastic. But as soon they're hanging off of one of them, it all goes down the crapper.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Apr 2 2013, 3:57am)

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 2 2013, 1:43pm

Post #66 of 69 (87 views)
Shortcut
This [In reply to] Can't Post

loved the scene and it was a nice way to keep building on the closeness amongst the dwarven company.

marillaraina
Rohan

Apr 3 2013, 12:10am

Post #67 of 69 (72 views)
Shortcut
Don't see [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't see how it's any worse than the scene in Fellowship where Frodo and Aragorn "ride" the one side of the bridge into the other side when it breaks away too far for them to jump.

I didn't have any issues with the idea that some of the dwarves may have ended up trapped on one of the giants, given they were part of the mountains they were walking on and didn't know it until they started to move and it was too late.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 3 2013, 12:13am

Post #68 of 69 (69 views)
Shortcut
Plus, [In reply to] Can't Post

look at it as a children's story, of course you have to have exaggerated plot lines, even if they are/seem ridiculous Smile

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 3 2013, 2:42am

Post #69 of 69 (90 views)
Shortcut
There's a huge difference. [In reply to] Can't Post

Two characters standing atop a structure that slowly falls 10' into another structure where they can easily jump to relative (temporary) safety is absolutely nothing like what went on in AUJ, and is quite comfortably within the realm of believability. Now, if you want to talk about some of Legolas' antics, that's another story- some of that stuff was almost, but not quite, as bad as what went on in AUJ.

And tarasaurus, i'm pretty tired of the "but it's a fantasy/sci-fi/children's story, and it has magic/lightsabers in it, so anything can happen" arguement. A story needs rules, limits and consequences, or there's no drama. If anything goes, there's no story. But i said all that in my earlier post, so i won't get into that now.

Like i said, i thought the stone giants were awesome, until the one that the company was on got up. I really like AUJ, but it has a lot of problems. And for me, the sense that the company is never in any real peril, especially after the stone giants, is one of the bigger ones.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Apr 3 2013, 2:49am)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.