Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Observations about Azog and what is to come
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lio
Lorien

Mar 30 2013, 11:14pm

Post #26 of 42 (174 views)
Shortcut
Now you've done it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I will update my signature with this important announcement shortly. Laugh

But why stop there? I can think of all kinds of movie-based misinformation that could use some, ahem, correcting.

Azog is dead!

Gandalf > Galadriel!

Thorin is not a hot Dwarf!

There is no bunny sled!

On second thought, I don't want to ruin the movies for everyone. Much. Angelic (I think it's enough that I remind the gentle folk about Orc reproduction every post.)

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

Lio
Lorien

Mar 30 2013, 11:33pm

Post #27 of 42 (170 views)
Shortcut
Hm, haven't thought of that [In reply to] Can't Post

I just assumed that it was a vow he made to himself, basically to show off how awesome he is. Laugh

But now I wonder if there's more significance behind this. At first I thought it was a bit of a throwaway, since what's the point of inserting this bit about Durin's line if Azog was going to go after the Dwarves either way? (Unfinished business with Thorin, and all that.) But if this is something between Azog and the Necromancer, it might also tie back nicely to Thrain and Bolg at Dol Guldur. Could Sauron have been using Azog to search for the last of the Seven?

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2013, 12:05am

Post #28 of 42 (166 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Watching the LOTR docs, it also appears that Peter wants to make these films more accessible to the general audience, so that often means streamlining the storyline (which he did for the history of Dwarves; making it all into one batlle sequence), and narrowing down the timelines.

Streamlining is one thing outright changing is another. If its something he can't use he should have cut his losses and just told the story he could tell. Instead of having to make up a bunch of nonsense that totally goes in the opposite direction Tolkien wrote the stuff to begin with.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 31 2013, 5:28am

Post #29 of 42 (146 views)
Shortcut
LOVE the First two. Just LOVE THEM! [In reply to] Can't Post

I could even deal with Gandalf being portrayed as roughly = Galadriel, even if he is secretly and in truth a superior Being. But it being portrayed the other way altogether is the big problem.

The last two. . . I don't mind Thorin being handsome, if maybe they gave him more silver in his hair.

And I don't mind the bunnies. lol. I should, but I don't. Wild cats would have been cooler. But what can you do?

In Reply To
I will update my signature with this important announcement shortly. Laugh

But why stop there? I can think of all kinds of movie-based misinformation that could use some, ahem, correcting.

Azog is dead!

Gandalf > Galadriel!

Thorin is not a hot Dwarf!

There is no bunny sled!

On second thought, I don't want to ruin the movies for everyone. Much. Angelic (I think it's enough that I remind the gentle folk about Orc reproduction every post.)

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 31 2013, 5:34am

Post #30 of 42 (148 views)
Shortcut
That is certainly a possibility. The whole ire against Durin and his heirs [In reply to] Can't Post

is a strong undercurrent theme. From Sauron's malice towards them, to the Balrog's methodical slaying of their Kings. . . Durin might have gone with his honour guard to challenge the Demon, not undertanding the depth of its power, and been slain where he stood. . . but Nain, a year later. . . Nain wouldn't have dared after what befell his father, truly the Greatest of All Dwarf Lords. . . Nain was almost surely hunted down, and Dain's words to Thrain. . . "beyond the shadow of The Gate, It waits for YOU still, Durin's Bane." The you is so personal, suggesting that the Demon held the slaying of the kings as a special interest.

We know of the misfortune that followed those who bore The Great Ring, mightiest of The Seven and the last to remain free. Of Sauron's special hatred for the bearers. . . there is a lot to ponder there, for certain.

In Reply To
I just assumed that it was a vow he made to himself, basically to show off how awesome he is. Laugh

But now I wonder if there's more significance behind this. At first I thought it was a bit of a throwaway, since what's the point of inserting this bit about Durin's line if Azog was going to go after the Dwarves either way? (Unfinished business with Thorin, and all that.) But if this is something between Azog and the Necromancer, it might also tie back nicely to Thrain and Bolg at Dol Guldur. Could Sauron have been using Azog to search for the last of the Seven?

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Mar 31 2013, 8:35am

Post #31 of 42 (147 views)
Shortcut
It would be interesting to see the relationship - [In reply to] Can't Post

- between Azog and Bolg. I can't see then getting on well with each other. I wouldn't be surprised if Bolg puts an end to his old man.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Mar 31 2013, 3:03pm

Post #32 of 42 (116 views)
Shortcut
THAT would be an interesting turn of events [In reply to] Can't Post

It really would be interesting, but perhaps more dramatic if Dain or Thorin or someone more closely related to Thorin put an end to him :) but who knows, I'm open to anything really.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2013, 3:14pm

Post #33 of 42 (121 views)
Shortcut
I guess The Hobbit is all about fathers and sons. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin/Thrain/Thror, Azog/Bolg and Legolas/Thranduil in the next one. It's gonna to be like an episode of Lost...

tarasaurus
Rohan

Mar 31 2013, 3:18pm

Post #34 of 42 (113 views)
Shortcut
oh no... [In reply to] Can't Post

You're right! And Evangeline Lily is in it and she was in lost, maybe she will have a sibling amongst the woodelves. Haha

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2013, 3:23pm

Post #35 of 42 (103 views)
Shortcut
And don't forget Dominic Monaghan! [In reply to] Can't Post

All the Best Dwarves Have Daddy Issues.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 31 2013, 3:33pm

Post #36 of 42 (108 views)
Shortcut
Spoiler Alert. . . Bolg is Tauriel/Lily's long lost half brother, [In reply to] Can't Post

from when her mother was abducted by the evil Azog and held prisoner in Moria (a nod by the team to the abduction of Celebrindal, showing how devoted they are to the text) Unimpressed

In Reply To
You're right! And Evangeline Lily is in it and she was in lost, maybe she will have a sibling amongst the woodelves. Haha

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Mar 31 2013, 9:16pm

Post #37 of 42 (77 views)
Shortcut
Ideally, [In reply to] Can't Post

more dramatic if Dain or Thorin or someone more closely related to Thorin put an end to him

- I want a version of what originally happened at the Gate of Moria in the books, perhaps during BO5A. I definitely don't want Thorin to be the one to kill Azog.

I can accept Azog still being alive, but I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't show the book version of the cause of the war in the movie, as well as the fact that they completely ignored (so far) Dain Ironfoot's heroism..

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

Elródien

Mar 31 2013, 9:28pm

Post #38 of 42 (68 views)
Shortcut
True, true [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm crossing my fingers Dain will do the deed.

(p.s i'm the tarasaurus person you were replying to, just wanted a different username so i'm not a newbie-newbster just piping in Smile)

": Saruman believes it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I've found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay... small acts of kindness, and love..."

tarasaurus
Rohan

Mar 31 2013, 10:18pm

Post #39 of 42 (56 views)
Shortcut
nvm [In reply to] Can't Post

ignore this post, not switching usernames :x

In Reply To
I'm crossing my fingers Dain will do the deed.

(p.s i'm the tarasaurus person you were replying to, just wanted a different username so i'm not a newbie-newbster just piping in Smile)

Lio
Lorien

Apr 1 2013, 2:36am

Post #40 of 42 (41 views)
Shortcut
I don't mind them so much myself [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the bunny sled was cute! And Thorin's characterization, though not 100% consistent with the book, has worked out fine so far. It's not one of those big grating changes that make you go "huh?" I just never would have imagined that he of all people would become such a fangirl magnet!

As for Azog, I like him as a character so in a way I'm kind of glad he'll be sticking around for a bit. The change in history kind of bugs me though. I've mentioned before that I feel like yelling "That's not what happened!" at poor Balin every time he tells the story of Azanulbizar. Laugh

The Galadriel thing bugs me a bit more. Like you said it's fine if he treats her like an equal, but I got the impression he was totally in awe of her. C'mon, people, he's a Wizard! (Well, it was just a small scene so I can live with it but I hope they don't play this up in the following movies.)

Oh yeah, and I'm totally rocking my new signature. Fear.

Orcs are mammals!

Lio
Lorien

Apr 1 2013, 2:44am

Post #41 of 42 (44 views)
Shortcut
Stuff like this really makes me wish... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that Tolkien had written more about the Dwarves and their history. We do get a fair bit in the LotR Appendices and the writings published later, but the more I find out the more questions I have!

Orcs are mammals!

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 1 2013, 4:52am

Post #42 of 42 (47 views)
Shortcut
Exactly and utterly this sentiment. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Galadriel thing bugs me a bit more. Like you said it's fine if he treats her like an equal, but I got the impression he was totally in awe of her. C'mon, people, he's a Wizard! (Well, it was just a small scene so I can live with it but I hope they don't play this up in the following movies.)

Oh yeah, and I'm totally rocking my new signature. Fear.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.