Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
what would you have done differently?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Mar 30 2013, 9:25pm

Post #26 of 42 (195 views)
Shortcut
Sigh [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes I think I have watched a different film than others did. For example, I watched the film that had multiple outdoor shots. SO much so that critics complained that there was too much walking around and too many location shots. I saw the film that had a beautiful Rivendell with built sets (which I saw constructed in the vlogs, etc). I saw a film that had lots of CGI some of which worked and some of which didn't just like LOTR. I also saw the film that had it been made prior to LOTR people would be raving about.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 30 2013, 9:37pm

Post #27 of 42 (190 views)
Shortcut
I agree with everything you say here. And yet I still would have made these changes, [In reply to] Can't Post

And would have found a film like this far better than the one I saw, which I admittedly enjoyed tremendously even so.

The war would have been a war of Vengeance, as in the book, for the slaying of a Thror driven to madness by his Ring.

3)And, even if Thorin killed Azog, he would have beheld a shadowy glimpse of the Balrog, but been unwilling to speak afterward of what he saw. This works regarding Balin, for Thorin would be dead by the time Balin made his poor decision, and thus could not have broken his silence to save his kinsman from follly.

Other things?

4)Galadriel would not have been portrayed as Gandalf's superior or supervisor.

5) The pinecone fires would have started blue and been slightly more explosive upon impact.

6)The sickening of The Greenwood would have been growing too strong for Radagast to curtail, not JUST emerging, though this would have been the first time he was able to definitively link it back to Dol Guldur.

7) A fuller, if quiet White Council, with Glorfindel and Cirdan.

8) A little more dark fur on those wargs (still miles better than the ttt ones!!!).

9) No bird poop in Radagasts hair. Less snot

I don't think there is a WHOLE lot other than that which I would have changed. No fake out before the hug at the end. lol. The Stone giants would have been both less stone and less gigantic.

In Reply To
Sometimes I think I have watched a different film than others did. For example, I watched the film that had multiple outdoor shots. SO much so that critics complained that there was too much walking around and too many location shots. I saw the film that had a beautiful Rivendell with built sets (which I saw constructed in the vlogs, etc). I saw a film that had lots of CGI some of which worked and some of which didn't just like LOTR. I also saw the film that had it been made prior to LOTR people would be raving about.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jun 7 2013, 4:06am)

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Mar 30 2013, 9:57pm

Post #28 of 42 (187 views)
Shortcut
My version of AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

would have the following changes:

1. Azog would have been seen at the battle similar to the film version, but would have been killed by Dain as in the book, setting up Dain's character for his role later on. Bolg would have been the main villain of the film, setting him up for his death at the Battle of the Five Armies in Film Two (because I would have only done two films).

2. Radagast would not have had guano in his hair and would have been portrayed seriously, without being a mushroom addict or having a sled pulled by giant bunnies. I would still have cast McCoy in the role though. Radagast would not have gone to Dol Guldur and diminished part of Gandalf's role, rather Gandalf would have gone and Radagast would have come to warn him that the corruption in Mirkwood was growing beyond control.

3. Simply less changes from the book on the whole. My White Council would have been like the Jedi Council in Star Wars, with one-line cameos from attendees including Cirdan, Glorfindel, Celeborn etc. The Council would have decided to attack instead of bickering and failing to come to a conclusion (this following other offscreen meetings). Saruman's evil would have been more subtle in my version of the story, clearly there but not so obvious as it was in the film, and not as obvious as it is in The Unfinished Tales either (i.e. the meeting recounted in that book)

4. Backing up AinurOlorin's point, Gandalf would not have been answering to Galadriel.

"True courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 30 2013, 10:12pm

Post #29 of 42 (171 views)
Shortcut
Love this. [In reply to] Can't Post

Would have loved that version. Though, I don't mind the bunnies. lol

In Reply To
would have the following changes:

1. Azog would have been seen at the battle similar to the film version, but would have been killed by Dain as in the book, setting up Dain's character for his role later on. Bolg would have been the main villain of the film, setting him up for his death at the Battle of the Five Armies in Film Two (because I would have only done two films).

2. Radagast would not have had guano in his hair and would have been portrayed seriously, without being a mushroom addict or having a sled pulled by giant bunnies. I would still have cast McCoy in the role though. Radagast would not have gone to Dol Guldur and diminished part of Gandalf's role, rather Gandalf would have gone and Radagast would have come to warn him that the corruption in Mirkwood was growing beyond control.

3. Simply less changes from the book on the whole. My White Council would have been like the Jedi Council in Star Wars, with one-line cameos from attendees including Cirdan, Glorfindel, Celeborn etc. The Council would have decided to attack instead of bickering and failing to come to a conclusion (this following other offscreen meetings). Saruman's evil would have been more subtle in my version of the story, clearly there but not so obvious as it was in the film, and not as obvious as it is in The Unfinished Tales either (i.e. the meeting recounted in that book)

4. Backing up AinurOlorin's point, Gandalf would not have been answering to Galadriel.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Mar 30 2013, 10:39pm

Post #30 of 42 (157 views)
Shortcut
It's not so much that I dislike the bunnies [In reply to] Can't Post

I quite like them...but they're just..well, inappropriate really.

But then this has always been my Radagast:
http://www.google.co.uk/...QWCh4GYCA&zoom=1

"True courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one."

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2013, 11:20pm

Post #31 of 42 (151 views)
Shortcut
Excellent ideas [In reply to] Can't Post

almost the same as mine Wink...

To me anyways the WC scene in the Hobbit makes me wonder why Gandalf would have went to Saruman in FOTR, since there obviously seemed like there was tension between the two. Raising more unnecessary questions than giving answers IMO.

northoftheborder

Mar 31 2013, 2:03am

Post #32 of 42 (133 views)
Shortcut
A young Odo Proudfoot with father Bodo [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have liked to have seen a quick funny shot of a very young Odo Proudfoot learning to pull that wonderful face by coping his father Bodo Proudfoot. I know it isn't in any of the literature, I just thought it would have made a nice shot as Bilbo was running out of the Shire after the dwarfs to see that Proudfoot expression as something of a family trait. Though technically I believe Odo would have been around 30 at the time I'd be willing to suspend this for the sake of bringing this tie in between the two trilogies.

Also, Goblin King, would redesign him. And the bunny sled, would have least have made them Hares since they are much quicker than rabbits and also have more place in mythology.

(This post was edited by northoftheborder on Mar 31 2013, 2:08am)

tarasaurus
Rohan

Mar 31 2013, 2:06am

Post #33 of 42 (129 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Exactly how I feel as well. I absolutely adored the movie and wouldn't change anything. because it's not the book. I feel like many people are finding reasons to dislike the movie, i understand being peeved about Azog (though I loved it) but the CGI looked GREAT! I just don't have a bad thing to say about it, and a lot of the things people dislike I feel are just kinda petty. >_<

imin
Valinor

Mar 31 2013, 3:25am

Post #34 of 42 (116 views)
Shortcut
definitely saw a different film to me [In reply to] Can't Post

There was less location shooting than in LOTR - or less location shooting that was then not changed beyond recognition with CGI 'enhancements' later on.

Rivendell was a pale comparison to how it was in LOTR.

Overall too much use of CGI - some of which looks as bad as stuff from LOTR - though some looks miles better.

Critics also complained the first 40 mins were terrible - yet by fans they are probably the most loved so depends how much you want to listen to them?

If this had been made prior to LOTR it would have been getting better reviews, but simply LOTR were better and now we are spoilt by that as we were expecting the films to be of the same standard - this is not to say the same as LOTR only the standard remain as high from a film POV.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2013, 3:55am

Post #35 of 42 (114 views)
Shortcut
The first 40 minutes [In reply to] Can't Post

was by far the best part of the film. After they left Baggend, the film went into the toilet. Only showing bits of greatness here and there, and those were the few times in between the OTT action roller coaster camera shots, that actually, sort of, followed the story that Tolkien wrote.

If Jackson had made the whole film like he did the first 40 minutes, the film would have been as close to perfect as possible.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 31 2013, 4:25am

Post #36 of 42 (100 views)
Shortcut
Maybe by film Three, we will see Gandalf do a few fireworks when he arrives back in The Shire with Bilbo, and little Odo [In reply to] Can't Post

will be seen beaming with pleasure. . . then being shown a dissaproving face by his mother and copying it.

In Reply To
I would have liked to have seen a quick funny shot of a very young Odo Proudfoot learning to pull that wonderful face by coping his father Bodo Proudfoot. I know it isn't in any of the literature, I just thought it would have made a nice shot as Bilbo was running out of the Shire after the dwarfs to see that Proudfoot expression as something of a family trait. Though technically I believe Odo would have been around 30 at the time I'd be willing to suspend this for the sake of bringing this tie in between the two trilogies.

Also, Goblin King, would redesign him. And the bunny sled, would have least have made them Hares since they are much quicker than rabbits and also have more place in mythology.

Morthoron
Gondor

Mar 31 2013, 4:45am

Post #37 of 42 (110 views)
Shortcut
what would I done differently? [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have hired someone outside of Jackson's clique to write the screenplay, edited out any remaining superfluous fan-fictional elements, and reduced The Hobbit series down to two films, keeping in mind at all times that the main character of the story is Bilbo Baggins.

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 31 2013, 10:42am

Post #38 of 42 (87 views)
Shortcut
Echo of a sigh [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, same here.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Mar 31 2013, 12:37pm

Post #39 of 42 (78 views)
Shortcut
What CGI Enhancements? [In reply to] Can't Post

Others have said this, but I don't see it. Maybe that's because I can't recognize it, like I can't watch 3D. I am asking a serious question here. Not trying to be snarky. Which outdoor scenes were "enhanced" ? Now about Rivendell. Same question. Others too have said it's a pale comparison. In what way?

imin
Valinor

Mar 31 2013, 1:16pm

Post #40 of 42 (93 views)
Shortcut
It's ok to view it differently [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't care if you view it differently - in fact i am happy for you that you enjoy it.

If you can't see where it sucks then it is probably best not to have them pointed out to you as then you have no chance of spotting them in the up coming films, does that make sense?

If you really want me to i will say where i feel it goes wrong - though i think this thread alone gives quite a good example, for me having just watched FOTR the other day on TV it was very clear to me the differences between FOTR and AUJ. Some people prefer the changes, others somehow don't notice and others dislike them. All a matter of perception and tastes.

imin
Valinor

Mar 31 2013, 1:17pm

Post #41 of 42 (64 views)
Shortcut
Great contribution! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2013, 2:03pm

Post #42 of 42 (111 views)
Shortcut
This [In reply to] Can't Post

rewrite the screenplays for both films, eliminating the boyens jackson inventions, handling things in a subtle way and not OTT like jackson does, and most of all, keep Bilbo as the center of the films.

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.