Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Blu-ray - 3D vs 2D - Video quality

Mar 29 2013, 8:40pm

Post #1 of 5 (414 views)
Blu-ray - 3D vs 2D - Video quality Can't Post

To me, the 2D version of the blu-ray seems crisper than the 3D version.

This is especially noticeable when comparing the 3D blu-ray with the TV running in 2D mode to the 2D blu-ray.

The 3D version seems grainier and less vivid.

Or maybe this is just my imagination?

Has anyone compared the two?

(TV = Samsung UA40D6600, Blu-ray Player = Samsung BD-D5500)

Mar 29 2013, 9:52pm

Post #2 of 5 (219 views)
well.. [In reply to] Can't Post

It will vary depending on what TV you have and the software running it.

Back in the day of CRT the quality of the picture on screen was highly dependent on the quality of the source i.e. video, broadcast or DVD transfer, Now it is more dependent on the quality and type (Plasma, LED, LCD) of the Tv you have rather than the source, i.e the quality of the blu-ray transfer. (unless the blu-ray transfer is of a very bad quality), some TVs have such good quality software that their DVD upscaling can be almost as good as a HD broadcast.

Motion and panning blur, have more do with your TV and the settings you are using on your TV, or your blu-ray player if you have an uber fancy expensive one, rather than what is one the bLu ray itself

(This post was edited by glor on Mar 29 2013, 9:53pm)

Mar 30 2013, 4:44am

Post #3 of 5 (111 views)
I am not [In reply to] Can't Post

a proponent of home theater 3D...it just isn't there yet.
HOWEVER. The 3D version of AUJ is the best, crispest, clearest, most beautiful transfer i have ever seen. EVER. It far surpasses the 2D version, in my experience.

Mar 30 2013, 10:46am

Post #4 of 5 (94 views)
I've only watched the 3-D discs.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to have to try the 2-D Blu-ray and compared them. I'll try using the smoothing (motion enhancer) option too, but I did not get to see it in 48 frames per second at the theater, so I really won't know if it achieves that effect.

The 3D picture quality on these discs is very good-- second only to the 3D version of Titanic, of all the discs I have in 3D. I have a Sony, but it is plagued by ghosting crosstalk. No problems with it on this disc.

I'd be a lot happier without so much blue color grading, but that's in the ain't gonna happen territory, I think.

Permanent address: Into the West

Mar 31 2013, 3:54am

Post #5 of 5 (65 views)
I have a Samsung 3D TV and Blu-ray [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched both 3D and 2D, and the 2D is noticeably better. You can particularly see it in the scenes in Erebor, which are spectacular in 2D but very dark and grainy in 3D. My 3D is active, so I don't know if its different for passive sets. But I have to crank the brightness in 3D to make it watchable. Any techies out there with suggestions on how to improve the experience would be welcome.

BTW, I love my 3D TV. Animated 3D is fantastic, but I also liked The Avengers on it.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.