Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The High Fells scene was shown in HFR I think.

Spaldron
Rivendell

Mar 25 2013, 11:29pm

Post #1 of 20 (1135 views)
Shortcut
The High Fells scene was shown in HFR I think. Can't Post

I just noticed while re-watching the sneak peek from the other night that the High Fells scene was a lot smoother than 24fps. It seems they broadcast it in a sort of HFR although not fully as most bandwidths probably couldn't take it.

Anyone else notice this?

Also at one point there was a shot of Bard on a hilltop firing his arrows into the air saying cool lines as he did it. Do you think this was him shooting at Smaug? I'm just trying to think of in what other circumstance would he be shooting arrows into the air?

Finally and I may have missed this but wasn't Stephen Fry originally cast as Alfrid the servant and not the Master of Laketown himself? Did some re-casting happen or am I wrong on this?

"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities."

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 26 2013, 12:14am

Post #2 of 20 (573 views)
Shortcut
Didn't hear what Bard was saying... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I was focused on how ginormous his bow is. It's almost as tall as he is. Definitely not for elves--you could kill yourself tripping over it in the woods.

Alerik
The Shire

Mar 26 2013, 1:12am

Post #3 of 20 (520 views)
Shortcut
Sorry for deviating from the topic but, [In reply to] Can't Post

What is this "High Fells" scene many people are talking about?. Im just not a big Tolkien connoisseur.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Mar 26 2013, 2:53am

Post #4 of 20 (471 views)
Shortcut
High Fells [In reply to] Can't Post

Is the place where the Nazgul were buried, like the Witch-King of Angmar. Gandalf goes there to investigate their tombs and finds them empty due to Sauron resurrecting them. The High Fells is located far in the north.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2013, 3:16am

Post #5 of 20 (466 views)
Shortcut
Stephen Fry and Ryan Gage [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.facebook.com/...ws/10150257180211558

I think you're thinking of Ryan Gage being originally cast in another role and then given the role of Alfrid.

Alerik
The Shire

Mar 26 2013, 3:48am

Post #6 of 20 (405 views)
Shortcut
ah ok. Thank you! NT [In reply to] Can't Post

namarie
Rohan

Mar 26 2013, 12:48pm

Post #7 of 20 (321 views)
Shortcut
Bard is saying [In reply to] Can't Post

"Now, that will get you killed".

The world is not in your books and maps. It's out there!

(This post was edited by namarie on Mar 26 2013, 12:55pm)

dave_lf
Gondor

Mar 26 2013, 12:53pm

Post #8 of 20 (290 views)
Shortcut
In the filmverse only, it has to be said // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elenorflower
Gondor

Mar 26 2013, 3:20pm

Post #9 of 20 (256 views)
Shortcut
but not in the book [In reply to] Can't Post

this is just made up for the film. The Nazgul didnt have tombs because they werent actually dead, but Ringwraiths. I hope nobody actually thinks this is canon.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2013, 3:22pm

Post #10 of 20 (250 views)
Shortcut
Its Kiwi canon!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2013, 5:13pm

Post #11 of 20 (223 views)
Shortcut
someone should probably define that... [In reply to] Can't Post

the bookverse Nazgul...

I'm having a derp moment... I think I remember they were given the rings and just kind of faded into Nazgul...

Go outside and play...

LordotRings93
Rohan

Mar 26 2013, 5:14pm

Post #12 of 20 (219 views)
Shortcut
Of course not in the book [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm just explaining the gist of the film scene to him, as this is about the movie.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Alerik
The Shire

Mar 26 2013, 7:06pm

Post #13 of 20 (193 views)
Shortcut
No problem, [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand this scene is only in the films, it is my fault I mentioned Tolkien but now it is clear to me. Thanks anyway.

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Mar 26 2013, 7:13pm

Post #14 of 20 (197 views)
Shortcut
Do you think [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf and Radagast will climb down to the ground of the tomb or is the last scne we saw in the Peek also actually the last of the High Fells Scene ?!
Cause in the chronicles it looks like theyre on the ground...

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 26 2013, 10:22pm

Post #15 of 20 (167 views)
Shortcut
I expect there is much more to the scene [In reply to] Can't Post

The same scene, or a similar scene at least, was shown at ComicCon last year. Gandalf tells Radagast that he should turn around and go back, after he says "this isn't a nice place to meet".

Ithilisa
Bree

Mar 27 2013, 3:57am

Post #16 of 20 (141 views)
Shortcut
Question about the High Fells [In reply to] Can't Post

Was this story line in Tolkien's books, or something made up for the movie? I've tried looking in the LOTR appendices, the Silmarillion, and a Tolkien dictionary I have and I can't find any reference to it. Just wondering if it was was written for this or I just missed it in one or more of the books. Thanks.

kbdiggity
Rivendell

Mar 27 2013, 4:22am

Post #17 of 20 (131 views)
Shortcut
..... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Was this story line in Tolkien's books, or something made up for the movie? I've tried looking in the LOTR appendices, the Silmarillion, and a Tolkien dictionary I have and I can't find any reference to it. Just wondering if it was was written for this or I just missed it in one or more of the books. Thanks.

Totally invented for the movies. Almost as if Peter Jackson regrets not putting the Barrow Downs in Fellowship of the Ring, and came up with a way to shove a scene with tombs and crypts into The Hobbit.

You know how Peter Jackson loves ghoulish stuff. Gandalf and Radagast are going to jump on a bunny sled and shoot on up north to the High Fells, likely to advance the plot of the Necromancer storyline.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Mar 27 2013, 7:52am

Post #18 of 20 (112 views)
Shortcut
It really annoys me... [In reply to] Can't Post

That PJ seems to deliberately insinuate that the stuff he is making up is somehow based on canon...in the sneak peek when he introduces the High Fells clip he says vaguely that it's something they based on info from the Appendices. He and Philippa should come clean and simply say they are making this stuff up for the movie, and not try to kid the casual viewer that their material is lifted from Tolkien's Appendices. I wouldn't hold it against them and would appreciate a more honest approach.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Elenorflower
Gondor

Mar 27 2013, 1:15pm

Post #19 of 20 (96 views)
Shortcut
ha ha Gandalf on a bunny sled [In reply to] Can't Post

its a bit of a come down from Shadowfax Mad

Ithilisa
Bree

Mar 28 2013, 12:10am

Post #20 of 20 (95 views)
Shortcut
High Fells source [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks. I thought it seemed too much like the Barrow Downs.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.