Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Anyone else think Thranduil sass will be one of the great things about DoS?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Mar 26 2013, 11:53am

Post #51 of 67 (1165 views)
Shortcut
As soon as I get the chance! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be on it! Cool. I've been meaning to take crack at RHPS. Lemme think on it CrazyEvil

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

axecrazy
Rivendell

Mar 26 2013, 11:58am

Post #52 of 67 (1181 views)
Shortcut
I hope so [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want to hate Thranduil. I think PJ is going to play his arc as initially repulsive, and then gradually going to not so bad after all. That would make the most sense, I think. My issues with him don't stem from his personality, though -- they stem from his actions or lack thereof as a king. The shot of him lounging on his throne already has my hackles up. Look at him... sitting seemingly without a care in the world, even while the Middle-earth equivalent of an atomic bomb sleeps on the doorstep of his kingdom. I understand King Thranduil's reservations about taking direct action against Smaug -- a fire drake is the worst nightmare of anyone who rules a kingdom of wood. But Smaug cannot not be trusted to lay dormant inside the mountain forever, and Thranduil should have the wisdom to see beyond the immediate future. The dragon must be dealt with one way or another. So why not deal with Smaug on your own terms instead of waiting for him to take the initiative? I don't see anything in Thranduil that even vaguely suggests he was/is plotting against the beast, and that is his real failure in my eyes, not the lack of action during the initial attack on Erebor and Dale. I can't really blame him as a king for doing nothing when Smaug arrived, even if what he did was perceived as cold and cowardly by Thorin.

But then why not send emissaries in secret to the dwarf lords in the later years, and try hammering out a plan for getting rid of Smaug? They have common ground in wanting the worm dead and buried. He's the cranky destructive dragon in the living room for heavens sake. I would think that would be enough to form a temporary alliance between the two peoples. The negotiations would have taken decades...and most likely stalled endlessly, but all you have is time when you are elven-kind. Where is that fabled wisdom of the elves, Thranduil? Seriously.

Elrond's bearing makes me want to stand up straight and earn his respect. Thranduil's bearing makes me want to shoot him on sight. Mad Two elven kings who provoke completely opposite reactions. I like that idea a great deal. I'm always one for shades of grey and tension between opposites... it adds spice to fiction and real life.

And so many interesting thoughts and potential sub-threads. I can't handle it all at once. Crazy Thranduil himself is worthy of detailed discussion and speculation... I just don't have the energy for it. He's a complex character, even more so than Thorin in a way because he's such an old git who doesn't always do the right thing by others. I get tired just thinking about this dude... never mind discussing him.

Azog: Defiling since 2790

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 26 2013, 2:40pm

Post #53 of 67 (1168 views)
Shortcut
I think expanding to three films is good forThranduil's portrayal [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
be the main redeeming qualities of Thranduil. If the movie displays what we know from the book, he is finds war a sad and dark business and is not eager to battle for treasure, and he has a great respect for the wisdom and presence of Gandalf, two things which distinguish him well as not a bad guy, even if he is flawed,.

In Reply To

In the two-film model the imprisonment and escape from the Elvenking's halls would probably have had to be the "finale" at the end of the first film. I don't like where that would have placed Thranduil, as more of a "bad" guy than he ever should be and more emphasis placed on that event as a needed emotional climax at the end of a film; and of course as part of a series of films the conflicted lead-in for the next installment. The differences in philosophy and temperament between Thranduil and Thorin is a great dynamic, and I am looking forward to it. But as you point out Ainur Olorin, he is still Good People and I have no desire to see him converted to an actual opponent or to have to bear the brunt of one of the film conclusions.

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 26 2013, 2:42pm

Post #54 of 67 (1131 views)
Shortcut
***rubs hands*** Will await with it........Anticipation!!!!!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks RT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smile Can't wait..................!

nhui06
Rivendell

Mar 26 2013, 4:44pm

Post #55 of 67 (1149 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil reminds me of.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know why but Thranduil currently reminds me of Loki in the Avengers. Just his style and demeanor... A cunning and proud villain. Maybe Legolas is the voice reason going up against his father?

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2013, 5:27pm

Post #56 of 67 (1143 views)
Shortcut
ah tumblr.... the Party King rules... [In reply to] Can't Post

The fangirls have taken a few memes and run with them. It was pretty funny for awhile. Then it was like...

Crazy

then it was like...

Frown

and now I'm...

Mad

I Heart Thranduil, not only as the Ada of my favorite (since I read the books in 1978, when Mr. Bloom was in diapers, thank you very much), but because he was cool in the Hobbit book ("Long will I tarry ere I begin this war for gold.").

Finally, a fan came up with this...

http://rabababe.tumblr.com/post/46294558392/some-things-you-might-not-have-known-about-thranduil

... a brief dissertation on who the Elvenking really is.

Smile

Still looking forward to the father/son interaction (I always felt that somehow, Legolas and Thranduil might be at odds), and the Thorin/Thranduil confrontation!

Go outside and play...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2013, 5:36pm

Post #57 of 67 (1103 views)
Shortcut
it's been memed... [In reply to] Can't Post

Lucious Malfoy...

let's do the time warp again....

and Gaston, from Beauty and the Beast, who deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeecorates in antlers....

...tumblr: a vast bottomlesss pit covered in memes...

and if I see one more set of pink shuttershades, I'm gonna... Mad

Go outside and play...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2013, 5:39pm

Post #58 of 67 (1106 views)
Shortcut
Lee Pace... [In reply to] Can't Post

..seems to have some acting chops... Lincoln, for instance.

And he's from Oooooooooooooooooklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping down the plain...

We'll just forget about that one thing he did...

http://swordwhale.tumblr.com/post/46005826074/and-then-i-found-out-hed-been-in-derp-twilight

Go outside and play...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2013, 5:42pm

Post #59 of 67 (1090 views)
Shortcut
.... [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

Go outside and play...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2013, 5:45pm

Post #60 of 67 (1100 views)
Shortcut
I think you said it all.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Go outside and play...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2013, 5:48pm

Post #61 of 67 (1128 views)
Shortcut
Loki... [In reply to] Can't Post

not a bad comparison on some level. Loki gained a lot of sympathy from fans as the flawed younger brother.

Thranduil, remember, is a fairly simplified character in the book... it's The Hobbit, it's a read - aloud fairy tale.

In the films, we have a chance (like the 13) to dig deeper, and uncover more of his character from the clues in the rest of the history of Middle Earth.

I think he will be quite interesting.

Go outside and play...

axecrazy
Rivendell

Mar 26 2013, 6:10pm

Post #62 of 67 (1112 views)
Shortcut
Don't take it too seriously [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool They're just passing the time until the next film. And they're generally pretty good at keeping the gifs and jpegs from being vulgar in nature. Most of it is in good humour. Nice link, too! I'm still reading (very slowly) and some of those details had long since slipped my mind. Yeah, I know he's a complex character. It's not a simple matter of villainy, etc,etc. Far from it... but his behaviour with regards to Orcrist already tells me he's not Mr. Nice Guy. I think PJ is going to play him with a tint of villainy... but only at first. By the end of the trilogy, I believe he will have redeemed himself in the eyes of just about everyone. Cool

Azog: Defiling since 2790

(This post was edited by axecrazy on Mar 26 2013, 6:14pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 26 2013, 8:11pm

Post #63 of 67 (1093 views)
Shortcut
I think Lee Pace is an excellent choice [In reply to] Can't Post

as are almost all the casting decisions made. I am thrilled at the idea of a mercurially attractive and highly individual Thranduil....especially to build on that first chilly look, its like opening a shiny gift box! I think this father will give us insight into the son we already (think we) know.

And thanks for the kind words! Smile

Love all the meme themes.... (that nose to nose confrontation:: "Do you have any tattoos, Thorin?" Heehe!)...because in any case he is making an impact!

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Mar 26 2013, 10:59pm

Post #64 of 67 (1039 views)
Shortcut
So will many others. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I will give Lee his due acting wise, because I utterly loathe the character. Always have and probably always will. A win win for me because this is someone who gets the character and will play him with gusto. Naturally, I understand a lot of Thranduil's grief with the Erebor dwarves, does not mean I like it.Tongue

It'll be fun to boo hiss Thranduil, I am looking forward to that.

At any rate, nice to see fans swooning over Thranduil - means I can stake claims to Beorn and Radagast.... Wink

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 27 2013, 2:55am

Post #65 of 67 (1022 views)
Shortcut
Not just any pony. A furry pony! [In reply to] Can't Post

One with a mane that matches his. I guess Thrandy's crown kinda looks like a megaloceros rack. But it's just not the same.

In Reply To
Actually, I think, when it comes right down to it, Thranduil's got pony envy.

I mean, you really can't look any goofier than when you're riding a Megaloceros. Riding a pony, on the other hand -- now *that's* majestic.

(Just try to tell me you would NOT break out in giggles if you heard Thranduil growl "Give him a Megaloceros!")

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Mar 27 2013, 3:25am

Post #66 of 67 (1010 views)
Shortcut
Don't you mean "antici................pation" ? ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

OK Brethil, I've posted it on the Main board, right here. I hope it's what you antici..........pated to your satisfaction Smile

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 27 2013, 3:44am

Post #67 of 67 (1047 views)
Shortcut
If you want to read just about the funniest parody ever....! [In reply to] Can't Post

Head over to the link above. R-T brings it again!

It gives Thranduil appreciation an entirely new....voice!

(Still giggling.....!)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.