Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Anyone think that orcs vs. Elves in Mirkwood could result. . . In Thranduil killing Azog, and robbing Thorin of his Vengeance?

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 25 2013, 7:04am

Post #1 of 19 (1779 views)
Shortcut
Anyone think that orcs vs. Elves in Mirkwood could result. . . In Thranduil killing Azog, and robbing Thorin of his Vengeance? Can't Post

I am just saying . . . it is just the sort of thing that Thorin really would not appreciate, even if he should.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 25 2013, 8:02am

Post #2 of 19 (1225 views)
Shortcut
There's no way that Azog is going to be [In reply to] Can't Post

Killed by anyone other than a Dwarf. In my opinion, instead of going with what Tolkien has written, they have extended the lifespan of Azog; but Dain will still kill him.

That keeps within Azanulbizar, despite the obvious change in timing.

Lost Hobbit
Rivendell

Mar 25 2013, 8:41am

Post #3 of 19 (1163 views)
Shortcut
My ideas... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but not something I'd really like to happen...was that Azog would be finally killed by Beorn...He would say Thorin that his time will still come...

Version 2: Beorn goes out hunting at night. Thorin wakes and chases him and then he discovers Beorn and orcs and with some help from Beorn finally slays Azog.

But I don't think it will happen this way. One of the reasons for me is the cinematic one - too short time between the last meeting with Azog and the day when they visit Beorn.

Shagrat
Gondor

Mar 25 2013, 9:28am

Post #4 of 19 (1095 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

Remember that interview someone unearthed recently where Jackson said we'd be seeing a lot more of Azog in films 2 and 3? I think he's destined to meet his end at the Five Armies.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 25 2013, 12:27pm

Post #5 of 19 (1020 views)
Shortcut
No it doesn't. Dain killing him now would still be robbed of much, and would marginalize Bolg horribly. [In reply to] Can't Post

At Azanulbizar Dain slays Azog, fulfilling the War of Vengance, soon after Azog had slain Nain, the nephew of Thror. He then beheld the Balrog within the gate, and came down to Thrain, filled with terror, reporting that Durin's Bane still ruled Moria, and giving his prophetic words concerning the long wait the dwarves would have and the change that would have to come, ere they could reclaim it.

Where would any of that be now. Azog just needs to hurry up and go away already. Great in the portrayl, but enough is enough.

In Reply To
Killed by anyone other than a Dwarf. In my opinion, instead of going with what Tolkien has written, they have extended the lifespan of Azog; but Dain will still kill him.

That keeps within Azanulbizar, despite the obvious change in timing.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Mar 25 2013, 1:55pm

Post #6 of 19 (976 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, but he is here to stay [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson has already stated that we will see plenty of Azog in both of the next two films. He ain't going anywhere before the BoFA.

As for Bolg, I doubt that he will even be portrayed as being Azog's son. I suspect that they will be largely unrelated characters.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

axecrazy
Rivendell

Mar 25 2013, 2:33pm

Post #7 of 19 (952 views)
Shortcut
His defiling days aren't done yet. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I doubt very much that they will end in Mirkwood. BoT5A is where he'll say the big goodbye, and not a moment sooner.

There's no party like a Dwaven party. Believe it.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 25 2013, 2:43pm

Post #8 of 19 (955 views)
Shortcut
I think the order could be (BO5A spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin slays Azog

Bolg mortally wounds Thorin

Beorn destroys Bolg OR Dain kills Bolg, and Beorn bears (sorry can't resist that pun) Thorin to safety.

Leaves Dain in the loop and gives us some vengeance and satisfaction. I do not think Mirkwood will be either Orcs' end.

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 25 2013, 2:44pm)

Lost Hobbit
Rivendell

Mar 25 2013, 2:58pm

Post #9 of 19 (942 views)
Shortcut
Beorn and Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

I think a good friendship should form between them, by the time he appears at the Bofa.

Tintallë
Gondor

Mar 25 2013, 3:14pm

Post #10 of 19 (918 views)
Shortcut
Not in a Peter Jackson movie! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Mar 25 2013, 4:52pm

Post #11 of 19 (876 views)
Shortcut
It could be something like this - [In reply to] Can't Post

The Dwarves of the Iron Hills are led to Erebor by Nain, Thorin's still-living kinsman. We may get a family reunion of sorts.

Azog kills Nain and 'young' Dain kills Azog during the BO5A. Bolg still gets killed by Beorn. I don't want Thorin to personally kill any of his main enemies, just like in the book. All of his main goals are accomplished by others, though he may have been a catalyst of sorts.

With the addition of certain other casualties amongst the good guys, Thorin eventually realises that he hadn't entirely got all his priorities right, as he admits to Bilbo before the end..

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 25 2013, 6:55pm

Post #12 of 19 (845 views)
Shortcut
I do think and hope so [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think a good friendship should form between them, by the time he appears at the Bofa.

Even though they are two very strong characters, I hope so. Beorn is one of my all time favorites in all of canon. The passage in the text where Beorn carries Thorin is so tiny but so moving. I can only imagine how it will look onscreen.

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Mar 25 2013, 10:48pm

Post #13 of 19 (791 views)
Shortcut
I'd prefer your idea to [In reply to] Can't Post

any Elf killing Azog...but it probably will be Dain that does the deed.

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

WhiskFishercat
Bree

Mar 25 2013, 11:35pm

Post #14 of 19 (783 views)
Shortcut
when do you think we will see Bolg? [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw his picture on a AUJ poster, so I assumed we were going to see him in the first movie, but I'm guessing we will see him in DOS instead? What part of the story do you think we will see him?

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Mar 26 2013, 12:08am

Post #15 of 19 (770 views)
Shortcut
Maybe not till TaBa [In reply to] Can't Post

and the Battle of the Five Armies.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 26 2013, 7:02am

Post #16 of 19 (754 views)
Shortcut
Since he is described as the torturer of Dol Guldur [In reply to] Can't Post

And the fact we will be seeing more of Dol Guldur in DOS, I'm guessing he'll feature sometime in DOS.

He'll have a much bigger role in TABA though. He'll have something to do with Gandalf being late for the battle. In the book, Gandalf is at Erebor for the whole Arkenstone fiasco. In the film, I think he'll turn up just as the battle is about to start.

Bolg also probably featured in AUJ posters because he was originally intended to appear in the film. Perhaps he is part of the Thrain scenes?

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Mar 26 2013, 7:03am)

WhiskFishercat
Bree

Mar 26 2013, 4:44pm

Post #17 of 19 (728 views)
Shortcut
thanks you guys [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah I was just curious, my guess is he will be in DOS somehow.

He was so prominently feature on that AUJ poster, it made him seem way more important than Azog. In fact I wonder if it was actually Bolg originally and then he was replaced by CG Azog?

Also, why was there no Azog action figure, but there was an action figure for Bolg?

http://orchardgroupsales.com/..._crop_700_x_720_.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/...it-action-poster.jpg

Grant
The Shire

Mar 27 2013, 12:33am

Post #18 of 19 (710 views)
Shortcut
No Azog [In reply to] Can't Post

His appearance changed at the last minute. The Yazneg toys were suppose to be Azog.

WhiskFishercat
Bree

Mar 27 2013, 12:35am

Post #19 of 19 (711 views)
Shortcut
ah ok [In reply to] Can't Post

thats makes sense now, i forgot about Yazneg.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.