Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Okay Already? Bomby Blew it...So Wha' Ya" Thinkin'..Beyond Awesome or What?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 25 2013, 2:56am

Post #51 of 60 (231 views)
Shortcut
I wish the crypts were in EE, as I said before, as they so blatantly defy the cannon. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope to see Gandalf battle with all the fire and light of his ommited scene atop Amon Hen against the Nazgul in at least one of these films theatrical, but while I actually liked the feel and some aspects of the scene, it's inaccuracies troubled me.

In Reply To
As expected, the questions were throwaway. At least the VIP guest appearances provided some levity (Colbert *lol*).

Most of the stuff was them as they shoot, basically like the vlogs. Finished footage was pretty much none, except that brief scene of Gandalf wandering through the crypt, which we have already seen parts of in the teaser for the first movie. Gotta say, quite liked the scene. Nice, eerie vibe, with that background noise. And Radagast was bearable. Wink

So pretty much a vlog, which would be fine, but as "this big preview event" kinda underwhelming.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Gandy
Bree

Mar 25 2013, 4:05am

Post #52 of 60 (225 views)
Shortcut
Sad [In reply to] Can't Post

I got my code long ago and have been waiting for this day. I was gonna cozy up and enjoy the short peak at DOS. I go to the site, and the video is not there. No place to input a code. I come here and apparently the video was literally a "live" broadcast. I never got the idea that they meant it would be like a live sporting event and if you miss it, you miss it.

I read "live" as in "Log in on this date, and you can finally see our special stream of a preview only for DVD buyers." Live just sounded like a throwaway promotional word. They were to stream it especially for code owners. And anytime you type in your code it would be available to you. Oops!

Did anyone else mess up like me? I hope their modified version isn't heavily edited. From the reviews it sounds like all I really need to see is the final quick "trailer" of finished scenes at the end. The green screen and handycam stuff will be good for future videodoc viewing.

Speaking of which, has PJ mentioned he's doing videoblogs for DOS?

I'm very glad they didn't show Smaug. And I really don't want them to show any piece of him in any trailer. I would avoid it anyway though. Of all things in this trilogy, Smaug is the one thing I do not want any knowledge of before my first viewing in the theater.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 25 2013, 4:31am

Post #53 of 60 (211 views)
Shortcut
Vblogs [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes he is doing more Vblogs. I'm sorry you missed it :(

Well they will put a version out on the site at some point for us to look at so I hope you get to see that Gandy! ::hugs::

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Old Toby
Gondor

Mar 25 2013, 5:42am

Post #54 of 60 (197 views)
Shortcut
*sniff* missed it [In reply to] Can't Post

I had to lead a discussion today for our Tolkien annual meeting so couldn't watch this! (The discussion topic was the movie characters of Bilbo, Thorin, Frodo and Aragorn: their respective characteristics, motivations, character arcs within the first films) But I'm eagerly reading all of your posts, my friends, and am trying to imagine watching it as you all are describing it. I'm so thrilled so many of you were blown away. I have been eager for the Thorin/Thranduil confrontation, and judging from what you all have said, it won't disappoint!! Should be epic! Can't WAIT!!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Imladris18
Lorien

Mar 25 2013, 1:58pm

Post #55 of 60 (161 views)
Shortcut
Radagast as a "tool of Saruman" [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never heard of this before. Could it just be that Saruman is the head of the order? I guess you can say Gandalf is a "tool" of Saruman as well then.

I thought Saruman made it pretty clear what he thought of Radagast at the White Council, lol. If he was bluffing there, it was a good one.

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Mar 25 2013, 3:16pm

Post #56 of 60 (145 views)
Shortcut
Its from FOTR... [In reply to] Can't Post

Saruman uses Radagast to get Gandalf to come to Isengard. "he (Saruman) concealed his purpose (i.e. from Radagast) and so deceived his messenger"

"Radagast the Brown!" laughed Saruman, and he no longer concealed his scorn. "Radagast the Bird-tamer! Radagast the Simple! Radagast the Fool! Yet he had just the wit to play the part that I set him."

(From the FOTR, Council of Elrond)

Imladris18
Lorien

Mar 25 2013, 4:22pm

Post #57 of 60 (133 views)
Shortcut
Oh, okay [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just him following orders not knowing any better then.

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Mar 26 2013, 1:23am

Post #58 of 60 (106 views)
Shortcut
Basically [In reply to] Can't Post

The way I read it was that he's too honest himself to suspect that Saruman would betray everyone like that. He's simply told/asked to take a message to Gandalf, so he does.

But it works out okay because Radagast is the one who sends the eagle who rescues Gandalf (in the book anyways!)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 26 2013, 5:29am

Post #59 of 60 (95 views)
Shortcut
"But Radagast had sought me in good faith!" [In reply to] Can't Post

It would have been useless,at any rate, to try to win the honest Radagast over to treachery. . .

I do feel that there are moments in the film when Gandalf seems to impatient of Radagast. This is another Wizard of good purpose, and of power, not Pippin. Alone in a haunted barrow, I don't think Gandalf, mighty as he is, would be irrate to see Radagast, another able member of His Order, arrive.

In Reply To
The way I read it was that he's too honest himself to suspect that Saruman would betray everyone like that. He's simply told/asked to take a message to Gandalf, so he does.

But it works out okay because Radagast is the one who sends the eagle who rescues Gandalf (in the book anyways!)

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Mar 26 2013, 1:26pm

Post #60 of 60 (93 views)
Shortcut
exactly! thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't have the book with me, couldn't remember the exact line.

Gandalf does seem a bit impatient with him at times, maybe just because he's in a hurry all the time and Radagast so clearly isn't?

I didn't really get the sense that he undervalues Radagast, he does try to stick up for him a bit at the white council meeting.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.